GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
certainly, but mostly remarking specifically about the comment about checks written

I think elderly people are more likely to write checks so he probably saw that was very consistent throughout the 10 years he searched.

OT: Guess what a stupid doctor did in our local area?

He took checks from patients to the bank and cashed them for several years. He had to know how stupid that was or maybe not. lol. Doctors have office bookkeepers who deposit daily checks received. And of course the bank would also know how odd it was to do this but anyway he was trying to avoid paying income taxes. Last week he was found guilty of tax invasion, sent to prison, and must pay the government back all the taxes plus penalty and interest.:D

To say the least even those who are suppose to be intelligent can really turnout to be dumber than a box of rocks.:floorlaugh:

Thanx, atthelake... <snip>

All available resources must be utilized by investigators to insure justice for the innocent victims of homicide.. The refusal by Sheriff Howard Sills to request the assistance and resources of the GBI is fubar, imo...

My buddies call me ATL :blush: (and others that like to not type such a long name)

:seeya: Fox - I'm on the other side of 400 here in ATLanta!

Again, a lonnnnnnnnnng but well worth reading you posted. Please share anything like that you may come across for general purposes. Some of that perhaps belongs in the thread re the killing spree/mass murders in California re "what makes a killer" that is within that reading. Much discussion going on in that thread :pillowfight:

Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Y-6UFV_jI

Of note is the sheriff's answer to the question at 6'45" in the video about the possibility of the corpse floating to the point of discovery. He replied that he didn't think so, instead of saying it was not possible.

Is that reply a contradiction to his declaration that the body was "placed" specifically there at Riley Shoals? And his statement at one point using the phrase, "..., or in the vicinity."?

???

This reminds me of the Billings murders. Their motive-they heard they had a safe.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/byrd_and_melanie_billings/10.html

I'm trying to read all of your posts and catch up this morning.

That is what I have started thinking, similar to the Billings. Maybe this person/s knew the Dermond's from the grocery, pharmacy, auto shop, etc. and needed some bucks and thought they would have it. The Dermond's knowing this person maybe were friendly but then he took them out to get the fast cash and maybe there wasn't any.

A dear academic friend of mine used to say "think out of the box." I am not good at that but here goes: what if a teenage boy was practice shooting in his yard (there are lots of vacant lots which have not been built on in Great Waters) and he accidentally shoots Mr. D while he is out on one of his walks. The teenager panics, decapitates Mr. D right there in the wooded lot to hide bullet evidence...then throws Mr. D's body in the back of his pickup truck and takes it to Mr. D's garage. Mrs. D hears the truck pull in the drive way and walks out to see what's going on. She recognizes the young man so he has to kill her also. He rushes back to his own home, jumps in a boat and travels by water to the Dermonds' dock and picks up Mrs. D's body. After dumping Mrs. D down stream, something occurred that prevented him from doing the same thing with Mr. D's body.

I don't think this happened but I gave it my best shot at "thinking out of the box."

I think your friend is indeed right.

I am an 'out of the box' thinker myself and that is the way I have always looked at cases. It has served me very well over the years. I don't ever automatically assume that the murderer will be the one the majority normally suspects. I especially don't do that if I have seen no evidence supporting that theory.

Imo, the suspect in this case will be far from being the 'usual suspect' just like it wasn't in many other cases.

FoxFire, can painfully tell us all from their own experiences from searches they have been on in high profile cases where much valuable time and effort was wasted on what police perceived to be the 'typical' suspects.

In some of those tragic cases some of the victims may have been able to have been saved. LE too can get tunnel vision and sometimes it has even cost victims their lives.:(

The perfect example of that was when LE was convinced that the Lunsford family was involved and spent countless hours/days grilling them day after day trying to get them to confess to something they were never guilty of in the first place. Meantime for three long agonizing torturous days Jessica was right across the street right up under LEs nose being tortured, and raped repeatedly by Couey.:mad: At that time the majority of the internet was also certain a family member was involved. And it has happened in countless other cases as well.

If this person is ever caught and brought to justice he will turnout to be anything other than typical or the usual suspect.

IMO

Good afternoon - just finished reading and catching up for today. Very interesting tidbit about the Huddle House; seems (to me) that if it were LE doing routine search, it wouldn't have even been mentioned. Hope they have whoever was asking for the tape on the tape himself. I know I'm reaching, but wouldn't it be a miracle if that person (asking for the video) knows that's the only place he could have been seen within a 24 hour period, or something of that nature? That would be too good...someone giving themselves away. However, a mistake is sometimes all that it takes to get caught! I also go with the theory that "somebody knows something"...even if the killer(s) just bragged, as they so often do. Here's hoping today is the day!

I'm trying to read all of your posts and catch up this morning.

That is what I have started thinking, similar to the Billings. Maybe this person/s knew the Dermond's from the grocery, pharmacy, auto shop, etc. and needed some bucks and thought they would have it. The Dermond's knowing this person maybe were friendly but then he took them out to get the fast cash and maybe there wasn't any.

I think if the motive was money both would have been killed and left in the home.

I also think nothing was taken from the home so I am thinking that means both had their wallet and purse undisturbed.

This one is certainly strange especially with all the movement involved in the killings and where the bodies were moved and left.

This killer (s) took quite a few risks in everything that was done.

A person that takes chances is dumb and lucky or very smart!

Good afternoon - just finished reading and catching up for today. Very interesting tidbit about the Huddle House; seems (to me) that if it were LE doing routine search, it wouldn't have even been mentioned. Hope they have whoever was asking for the tape on the tape himself. I know I'm reaching, but wouldn't it be a miracle if that person (asking for the video) knows that's the only place he could have been seen within a 24 hour period, or something of that nature? That would be too good...someone giving themselves away. However, a mistake is sometimes all that it takes to get caught! I also go with the theory that "somebody knows something"...even if the killer(s) just bragged, as they so often do. Here's hoping today is the day!

Hummm. Just reading your post and thinking. Do some killers want to be caught? Interesting thought this afternoon!

The reason I mention it is because everything seems to be dying down on this case. Sills has not given out any more information since before the holiday weekend. Bloggers are moving on to other cases and nothing much in the local papers. Family is quiet.

Perhaps somebody loves reading about themselves in the newspapers??? Would that be another sign of a sociopath?

Does anyone know how much experience, Sheriff Sills has had investigating homicides?

I wish I had something profound to say.....

Alas....

Knowing enough about Sheriff Sills pronouncements from the beginning, I find my thoughts returning to what would make at least some sense in the case. After Mrs. Dermond's body was found and the sheriff declared that the corpse was fully clothed in ordinary day clothes with no sign of sexual assault and no "glaring" trauma, I discounted some of my original ideas about what may have happened.

But now I find myself again thinking that one reasonable explanation for the killer to have tried in vain to hide the corpse was the existence of direct evidence in the form of the killer's DNA. And it does seem rational for the sheriff to decide to withhold any statement regarding that possibility with the idea that the killer might relax and make a mistake.

Taking it one step further, if there is a suspect, and the only possibility of making a conviction stick is obtaining a DNA sample, then the suspect may be being watched/followed in order to somehow get a DNA sample.

Knowing enough about Sheriff Sills pronouncements from the beginning, I find my thoughts returning to what would make at least some sense in the case. After Mrs. Dermond's body was found and the sheriff declared that the corpse was fully clothed in ordinary day clothes with no sign of sexual assault and no "glaring" trauma, I discounted some of my original ideas about what may have happened.

But now I find myself again thinking that one reasonable explanation for the killer to have tried in vain to hide the corpse was the existence of direct evidence in the form of the killer's DNA. And it does seem rational for the sheriff to decide to withhold any statement regarding that possibility with the idea that the killer might relax and make a mistake.

Taking it one step further, if there is a suspect, and the only possibility of making a conviction stick is obtaining a DNA sample, then the suspect may be being watched/followed in order to somehow get a DNA sample.

That's interesting but with all the work this killer did I can see several ways he could have disposed of the bodies and left no evidence at all.

He seemed very brazen with all his moving of these bodies.

The mind wanders knowing the ways he could have done away with them and evidence if he so desired.

I think he/they wanted the bodies to be found and he wanted the questions to be asked and he is loving every single minute.

He may make a mistake when news dies down and he fans the fire!

MOO of course.

Skimmed through posts. Doing a great job. I'm marking my spot while worshipping the porcelain. goddess. Arrrgghhh

Skimmed through posts. Doing a great job. I'm marking my spot while worshipping the porcelain. goddess. Arrrgghhh

Oh no! I hope you're not sick! If so, I hope you feel better soon.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/sheriff-investigating-elderly-couples-murder-accus/nf6bS/

I don't know how to post a link on this site Check out Atlanta Journal sunday edition on line, but y ou have to be a registered subscriber to read on-line.

"Sheriff investigating elderly couple’s murder accustomed to spotlight"

I read this article hard copy.

gotta go. I ll try to give some quotes later.

Thank you, lakeoconee. I think I found the article with a link we can read.

http://legalpronews.findlaw.com/article/7cb33392334ddf4e433f42f5a1e7c457#.U4eMtZt17Pg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10