GA - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 #2 *Arrests*

202x90px-LL-2bd87073_welcomeflowerpots.gif
arsenicmind to WS & this thread!

Feb 12, 2019

Man charged with murdering beauty pageant contestant 13 years ago confessed to the killing and cops found his DNA at the Georgia crime scene, investigator reveals

• Ryan Duke, a man charged with killing a high school teacher who vanished in 2005 in Georgia, confessed more than a decade later
  • Duke is scheduled to stand trial April 1 for the murder of Tara Grinstead
  • An investigator in the case revealed new details on the witness stand Monday
  • Prosecutors sought to persuade a judge to deny the suspect's request for bond
  • A judge not only refused to grant Duke bond, but denied a defense motion to move the trial out of Irwin County because of pretrial publicity
  • Duke was a former student at the school where Grinstead taught history
  • The suspect said he broke into Grinstead's house to steal money for drugs, and when she confronted him he struck her with a fatal blow
Confession, DNA evidence revealed in Georgia teacher slaying | Daily Mail Online

Feb 12, 2019 WSB-TV Atlanta News 2

IRWIN COUNTY, Ga. - There are new developments in a case involving a Georgia teacher who disappeared in 2005. There was a hearing Monday in Irwin County to determine whether a South Georgia man accused of murdering the beauty queen and teacher could soon be back on the streets.

Ryan Duke asked to be released on bond, but the judge denied his request. He was arrested in 2017, 12 years after Tara Grinstead disappeared.
TARA GRINSTEAD MURDER: New evidence revealed during hearing for man accused of murdering Tara Grinstead

Thank you! I’ll add that one, too. I know Ryan is supposedly the one who killed her, but I’ve got theories that Bo played a MUCH bigger role in this. I kinda hate Bo even more than Ryan. Ugh!
Completely agree.... I'm glad he was caught for these latest assaults as they certainly make it clear what he's capable of.

Feb 12, 2019 Fox News

DNA from a Georgia man charged with killing a former teacher and beauty pageant contestant was found on a glove recovered at the crime scene, a state investigator revealed this week, while a judge denied the suspect’s request for bond.

The revelation made by a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent Monday comes as Ryan Duke is gearing up for a trial set to begin April 1. He is accused in the 2005 murder of Tara Grinstead, an Irwin County High School history teacher last seen leaving a cookout and heading back to her home. Now, more than a decade later, new details are shedding light on a death that has haunted the area ever since.

Tara Grinstead murder case: New details emerge as judge denies bond for suspected killer

Feb 12, 2019 - PEOPLE

Bond was denied Monday for the man accused of killing a popular Georgia high school history teacher in the fall of 2005.

Alleged to have murdered Tara Grinstead, a 30-year-old educator and former beauty queen, Ryan Duke, 35, was seeking a $10,000 bond, citing his limited financial resources.
[...]
Duke was arrested two years ago and charged with Grinstead’s murder as well as burglary, aggravated assault and concealment of a body.

At Monday’s hearing, Georgia Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Jason Shoudel took the stand, testifying that Duke confessed to his alleged crimes.

Prosecutors believe that Duke was the only one who actually murdered Grinstead. A second man, Bo Dukes, 34, is accused of helping him get rid of the body.

Despite the similar last names, the two suspects are not related, although they both attended Irwin County High School, where Grinstead taught.

Grinstead was last seen leaving a dinner party on Oct. 22, 2005. A contestant in three Miss Georgia pageants, it took 11 years for police to make a break in the cold case.
Man, Who Is Charged with Killing a Missing Georgia Teacher, Has Confessed More Than a Decade Later

I've always been intrigued by the missing case of Tara Grinstead but didn't add it as a watched thread until today.

I was reminded of this case after Monday's bond hearing for defendant Ryan Duke -- arrested in 2017.

As a refresher, I'm linking podcast of UP AND VANISHED - season 1 profiling this case.

Episode 1 - "Cold as Alaska" was first aired 8/7/16, features interview with a private forensic investigator, Dr Maurice Godwand. Atlanta filmmaker Payne Lindsey also gives a shout out to Websleuths. (ep 1 about 22 mins).

https://season1.upandvanished.com/episode/episode-2/

ETA: Up and Vanished for Tara Grinstead consists of 24 episodes!

Last edited:
Man, that judge wasn’t having it at all with Ryan! I was SO glad he shot bail down so quickly after testimony. Lightening fast. I think we’ve got us a judge who’s had enough of this nonsense. Let’s hope we get a jury who can see through the bs, too. Ryan and Bo deserve to NEVER step foot outside a cell again. I’m very encouraged by the judge’s swift decision and ability to not be played by the defense. I’m also encouraged that he shot down moving the trial to a new location. We’ve all been waiting for this trial to learn more about what happened and watch Ryan hopefully go to prison for life without parole. jmo

Question: Do y’all think Ryan will get Murder 1, Murder 2 or Manslaughter? (Idk if all 3 will be options for the jury yet.) I know there’ll be more charges, but I’m just curious about these first.

Woman: I was the tipster that cracked Tara Grinstead case

May 18, 2017

The girlfriend of the man accused of helping conceal a south Georgia teacher’s body says she was the one that tipped off the GBI, CBS News reported Thursday.

Tara Grinstead, an Irwin County High School teacher and former beauty queen, was reported missing from her Ocilla home in 2005. For more than 11 years, the case remained unsolved. But in February, a woman named Brooke Sheridan told the GBI her boyfriend, Bo Dukes, had been involved with Grinstead’s disappearance, Sheridan told CBS.

“I felt like I was gonna be sick,” Sheridan said during her interview with “48 Hours. “I didn’t know who I was staring at. I didn’t know who he was.”

The tip led the GBI to one of Grinstead’s former students, Ryan Alexander Duke. He was charged with murder in February. The following week, Dukes was also arrested and charged with concealing Grinstead’s death.

Woman: I was the tipster that cracked Tara Grinstead case

May 18, 2017

The girlfriend of the man accused of helping conceal a south Georgia teacher’s body says she was the one that tipped off the GBI, CBS News reported Thursday.

Tara Grinstead, an Irwin County High School teacher and former beauty queen, was reported missing from her Ocilla home in 2005. For more than 11 years, the case remained unsolved. But in February, a woman named Brooke Sheridan told the GBI her boyfriend, Bo Dukes, had been involved with Grinstead’s disappearance, Sheridan told CBS.

“I felt like I was gonna be sick,” Sheridan said during her interview with “48 Hours. “I didn’t know who I was staring at. I didn’t know who he was.”

The tip led the GBI to one of Grinstead’s former students, Ryan Alexander Duke. He was charged with murder in February. The following week, Dukes was also arrested and charged with concealing Grinstead’s death.

I remember hearing her on the Up & Vanished podcast. Iirc, she knew about his involvement for a while before she ever even told LE. Iirc.

The state will more than likely go with felony murder because he was in the middle of committing another felony at the time he murdered Tara.

I'm from Georgia about 60 miles away from where it happened.

Either way he is going away for life without any chance of parole.imo.

I'm surprised they didnt affix the death penalty if convicted since he committed two serious felonies which makes it a capital murder case.

Imo

I remember hearing her on the Up & Vanished podcast. Iirc, she knew about his involvement for a while before she ever even told LE. Iirc.

I just saw Tara's case on ID just a couple of days ago. The OWN channel has also had her case on.

It's terrible it took so long. I cant believe the GBI hadn't even interviewed him. Didn't they say they found his DNA at her home. But to be fair, I guess even if it was found he might not have been in any data bank all that time.

Some think his charged side kick was more involved, but I think he was just a follower, who did willingly help the murderer with the aftermath of moving, and desecrating her body.

Jmo

I'm still searching if any MSN reports dispute her claim!

Im sorry guys but BD is causing me great alarm. IMO, I know this will sound bizarre My speculation starts here: I cant help but wonder if RD was told he murdered Tara after a blackout drunk, he called her house b/c he didnt believe it. Once he called, somebody, his buddy, was on hand to make a comment: "see, I told you, she didnt pick up bc you murdered her, you need help man, come on I'll help you hide her body, I care about you as my friend" bla bla bla. I just find it very hard to believe a man that' kidnapped and raped 2 women had no part in Tara's demise. Did RD give a true detailed account in his confession? Or, did it sound like somebody told him what he did? And NO I am NOT referring to LE at all. I keep hearing these ppl that know RD say he is not capable of murder. None of us think that about our friends. But, holy cow this guy BD takes the cake, seriously? Did this guy kidnap and rape 2 women? Has RD ever been a threat to anybody? In all the talk I've heard the opposite. I'm not on their side. I just want the right man in prison for the crime. I dont know them, I didnt know Tara. I did help search for her in a ground search, that's my only connection. This gets more bizarre with each report. ALL IMOO. Tara's family needs swift justice. BD is one manipulative man, it certainly appears to be the case IMOO. Edit add: idk what to think anymore. Birds of a feather?
Bumping this great post!

BD is proving to be the violent suspect, and in my opinion, it's his profile that's best suited as the murderer (and RD the accomplice). The latest allegations of New Year's Day rape/kidnapping have flipped the scales for me, and agree that the charges for RD and BD are probably reversed.

BD was convicted of conspiracy to steal federal property in 2013, and also said to be a drug induced deserter when he stole federal property. Although he was sentenced to more than 2 years in federal prison, he was given supervised release in October 2015. It's actually not clear if he ever served time.

I also believe BD's family political connections have served him well.

Not discounting RD involvement in the cover up of TG death but I now have doubts about his confession as the murderer.

MOO

Federal judge orders Bo Dukes back to federal prison

Ryan Duke Bond Hearing Day 1 Part 1 Stephen Duke & Agt Jason Shoudel Testify 02/11/19

Ryan Duke Bond Hearing Day1 Part 2 Agt Jason Shoudel Testifies 02/11/19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan Duke Bond Hearing Day 1 Part 3 Agt Jason Shoudel Testifies 02/11/19

Ryan Duke Bond Hearing Day 1 Part 4 Agt Jason Shoudel Testifies 02/11/19

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back