GUILTY GA - Three adults & baby slain, 3 kids abducted, Gordon Co., 7 Jan 2004

I've been watching this story unfold all day on CNN, and they kept saying that the Neanderthal who stole these children would go south! But whenever I've been out driving today, I kept looking around because I live near I-75, and I figured he would hear the reports and head north. And he did!

The place they stopped this monster is just 10 miles from where I live, and 5 miles from where I grew up! The children have been taken to the same hospital where my children were born! Thank God they're alive! The moron shot himself.

I just saw the pictures of the children on the news. Beautiful kids - this is a tragedy! But I truly believe these Amber alerts save lives, and this is proof. In the old days, the police wouldn't have put out the suspect's license plate number so soon. The woman who saw him on the Interstate was someone just like us with her eyes open!

Here's a local link:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_45275.asp

He said a citizen spotted the Explorer on I-75 in Whitfield County and contacted the sheriff's office. Officers confirmed it was the Jones vehicle and began following it as the car traveled at about 70 miles per hour into Catoosa County and then across the Tennessee line, refusing to stop.

Among those taking part in the chase were officers from Gordon, Whitfield and Catoosa counties. The Georgia Patrol ultimately took the lead in the pursuit.

Director Keenan said when Jones got on Ringgold Road that he slowed down so that the lead patrol car was able to pull up beside him. He said the patrol officer, Jason Davis, then carried out the spin maneuver. Trooper Davis is the son of Gordon County Sheriff Jerry Davis, who was also on the scene.

Director Keenan said when officers jumped out they saw that Jones had shot himself and was lying back in the driver's seat. The 10-year-old girl quickly exited the car.

Officers could see the other two girls in the back, including one who was covered with blood from the Jones wound.

Director Keenan said it appeared that the 10-year-old girl had scrapes and bruises, but that all three girls were alright.

He said the FBI was assisting in getting the mother of two of the girls returned here from where she was visiting in Oregon and where there has been severe weather.

Director Keenan also called the rescue "another success story" for Amber Alert - the nationwide notification system involving missing children.

A host of police and rescue vehicles were on the scene on Ringgold Road, and the Jones vehicle remained pinned against the pole. A wide area around the wreck was roped off across from the El Acapulco restaurant.

I just posted this on the Missing thread, then realized it probably belonged here. This case really hit close to home for me.

I've been watching this story unfold all day on CNN, and they kept saying that the Neanderthal who stole these children would go south! But whenever I've been out driving today, I kept looking around because I live near I-75, and I figured he would hear the reports and head north. And he did!

The place they stopped this monster is just 10 miles from where I live, and 5 miles from where I grew up! The children have been taken to the same hospital where my children were born! Thank God they're alive! The moron shot himself.

I just saw the pictures of the children on the news. Beautiful kids - this is a tragedy! But I truly believe these Amber alerts save lives, and this is proof. In the old days, the police wouldn't have put out the suspect's license plate number so soon. The woman who saw him on the Interstate was someone just like us with her eyes open!

Here's a local link:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_45275.asp

He said a citizen spotted the Explorer on I-75 in Whitfield County and contacted the sheriff's office. Officers confirmed it was the Jones vehicle and began following it as the car traveled at about 70 miles per hour into Catoosa County and then across the Tennessee line, refusing to stop.

Among those taking part in the chase were officers from Gordon, Whitfield and Catoosa counties. The Georgia Patrol ultimately took the lead in the pursuit.

Director Keenan said when Jones got on Ringgold Road that he slowed down so that the lead patrol car was able to pull up beside him. He said the patrol officer, Jason Davis, then carried out the spin maneuver. Trooper Davis is the son of Gordon County Sheriff Jerry Davis, who was also on the scene.

Director Keenan said when officers jumped out they saw that Jones had shot himself and was lying back in the driver's seat. The 10-year-old girl quickly exited the car.

Officers could see the other two girls in the back, including one who was covered with blood from the Jones wound.

Director Keenan said it appeared that the 10-year-old girl had scrapes and bruises, but that all three girls were alright.

He said the FBI was assisting in getting the mother of two of the girls returned here from where she was visiting in Oregon and where there has been severe weather.

Director Keenan also called the rescue "another success story" for Amber Alert - the nationwide notification system involving missing children.

A host of police and rescue vehicles were on the scene on Ringgold Road, and the Jones vehicle remained pinned against the pole. A wide area around the wreck was roped off across from the El Acapulco restaurant.

Thank you for posting this, TF. I am so glad the girls are safe. Our prayers are answered. My brother used to live in Chattanooga and our neighbors are from SoddyDaisy. I felt like I knew the area even tho I only visited once. The Amber alert is so wonderful.

OMG Thoughtfox. SO close to you, that's chilling.

I just heard an hour ago that he was caught and the girls are okay. Thank Heavens. Tragic.

Hi ThoughtFox,

Isn't it a small world sometimes? Simply amazing. I appreciated the link as I've read nothing on the story, but would like to learn more about this guy and what he did.

His picture looks like he's a bit 'off', kinda scary for a guy that could probably make himself look pretty regular. Do they know why he killed the people, including his own little baby, I hear? Who were 3 girls? I can go look it up on the net, but came here hoping there would be something.

Thanks again,

Scandi

Scandi: It was a custody battle of some kind. The mother had left the children on this farm with her parents - they are the ones who were killed, as well as two other grown-ups and the suspect's own 10-month-old baby, who was strangled.
The mom was in Oregon with her boyfriend. The killer was the ex-husband of the woman in Oregon. He's a real piece of work. He has a rap sheet for petty crimes, but they were talking on the news about things he did "under the radar." For instance, he got into an argument with a neighbor and then shot his prize-winning horse. This was not reported to the police, probably out of fear!

ThoughtFox said:
This case really hit close to home for me.

Me too ThoughtFox! Our prayers were answered today ... eh?

ThoughtFox said:

Clint van Zant, a retired top FBI profiler, predicted he would do a 180 and go North! I called my son in the area to make sure he knew the vehicle. I reminded him of the 730 YFV license plates. 7:30 + Young Fragile Victims. I wonder, why a 90 or 270 degree turn is ruled out as a possibility? Just musing...

ThoughtFox said:

Yes Jones shot himself but the last I heard a few minutes ago is that he's expected to survive. He's in Erlanger and they say his prognosis is good.

ThoughtFox said:

Georgia went to the 'Levi Alert' and I hope that it will be expanded above the age of 17 in the future. I also hope to see less bureaucracy in the future, rather than more as it's looking now. As Mark Class said in an interview tonight, (not an exact quote but the point being,) 'Law Enforcement Gets It' the bureaucracy doesn't. Let's be vigilant and hope bureaucracy doesn't rule? I hear Georgia Law Enforcement worked through the night, getting people out of bed to confirm the information on the children and vehicle to meet the necessary criterion. I understand the necessity to get the information correct, but, can't the process be streamlined in this age of technology?

I'm thrilled the Alert System resulted in a CITIZEN spotting the vehicle, phoned it in, followed the SUV, and blinked their lights to confirm to LE they had the right target ahead!

One report credits Georgia with 8 out of 8 Successes on the Alert System. Another report has us 9 out of 9 ... Latest report I heard has us 10 out of 10! Don't know which one to believe, but I see the Alert System which prompts anyone to BOLO {be on the look out} is by any measure, a success!

Finally, I’m not sure which side of the border you’re on, GA or TN, but congrats to Sheriff Davis of Gorgon County GA and to his Son working in TN who made the pit maneuver on Jones’ vehicle so successfully and possibly saved the lives of those three little girls!

I'm so so thankful that our prayers have been answered that the 3 precious little girls are safe, another sicko I hope and pray is off the streets now and will get the death penality.

Praise that these little girls are (physically) unharmed!!!

I agree that it is scary how close they were.

I'll bet old Jer is wishing right now that EMS hadn't been so quick on the scene. What a monster.

I'm not proud of myself but I'll admit I'd have a hard time being asked to help this SOB once at the hospital. Stick him in a hole and see if he makes it, and if he does hand him. Waste of money if you ask me.

That poor little girl with the blood on her, that part brought tears to my eyes. Thank God the Amber system was in place, I truly believe it was pivotal in their rescue. I sure hope they get the proper therapy, they're going to need it. I am so happy they are alive.

Thoughtfox,

That is an awful feeling, I know. You must be very relieved that they were found.

Jubie

Thanks ThoughtFox,

God bless those three little girlies and help their minds to be healed from all the horror they experienced. They need a lot of love now and understanding. In addition to losing their Gtrandma, Grandpa, baby sister and Aunt I think in one fell swoop, two of these girls lost their daddy too! So sad.

I heard this morning he had a violent temper and had threatened to kill his family members before. The authorities probabily had to wait until he did something overt to cite him, and then it was too late. You would think a threat to kill would be enough to have someone arrested on some charge, wouldn't you?

Scandi

I wonder, why a 90 or 270 degree turn is ruled out as a possibility? Just musing...

Murphy: That is actually a good question! He could have gone west into Alabama, and they had an alert out all day for that area, so that was always a possibility. But it's pretty rural in that direction, and he might stand out with three little girls if he stopped anywhere. My logic was that to go east, he would hit the mountains, and there's nothing over there - people would be looking for him and he would be spotted right away. Atlanta to the south would be swarming with cops and the traffic is always at a standstill - not a good place for a quick getaway. But coming north into Chattanooga there are alot more hotels, restaurants, and touristy places where a man alone with three children wouldn't look out of place. Also, if he lived in North Georgia, he would probably be familiar with this area. If he made it through Chattanooga, he could drive all the way to Detroit on I-75.

By the way, I'm in Tennessee, but I grew up one mile from the Georgia line. I've lived here all my life. Guys like this animal make my blood boil because they give Southerners a bad name!

I'm not proud of myself but I'll admit I'd have a hard time being asked to help this SOB once at the hospital. Stick him in a hole and see if he makes it, and if he does hand him. Waste of money if you ask me.

Jubie: I thought the same thing. Think of what he has put those precious babies through! And killed their grandparents, who loved them, and killed their little sister.

I was watching the local news of the paramedics putting him in the ambulance and I kept thinking - drop him! Or at least, bang the stretcher into things a little and hurt him. I'd make a terrible paramedic. :silenced:

Thought Fox, I live off the next northbound exit and first thing I said to my husband was he will go straight up 75! Kind of weird with major freeway intersection [75/ 24].
Have been wondering what he was doing all day if he killed family at 8ish and was caught right up the road.

By the time Melissa Peeler got the phone call, her infant daughter had been strangled and her parents and sister fatally shot. The man she had left Georgia to escape was on the phone, saying he had her three other girls and would "start killing the kids one by one" if she called police, relatives say.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2004/jan/11/011105620.html

The oldest of three girls allegedly abducted by a man accused of murdering four relatives said she did not know anyone had been killed until she was rescued by police the next day.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/01/12/national1910EST0735.DTL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back