GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

Defense motions for a directed verdict on the statue of limitations grounds. His attorney mentions the tolling provision they believe cited by the State that "the crime was unknown at the time that the Statue would've run" and cites a previous Georgia case that said "tolling period ends when the State has actual knowledge of both defendant's identity and the crime". She says the State, relying on two testimonies in the case file, of law enforcement knowing both Ryan and Bo's names all the way back in 2005, additionally that all the evidence was seized in 2005, and that the statute of limitations if 4 years.

Judge asks her if the jury rejected some of that evidence and questions if they were waiting until after the verdict to bring this up.

The State responds that the jury was given this information and they made that determination and caselaw says "that is a question for the jury". Defense asks for Ryan to be given a bond since he was acquitted of the most serious charges and the one charge is a bondable offense.

Judge denies that completely, Ryan will remain in custody until sentencing on Monday. Even with Ryan possibly getting time served for the 5 or so years he has been in custody, I get some sense that this Judge will be imposing some more prison time if the max. is 10 years. He didn't even ask the State if they wanted to reply to the Defense asking for bond, seems like he already has his mind made up on that (not that the State would've argued to give him bond but not even asking if they have a response, which is something I've often seen as you hear from one side and then the other) was interesting.

See video at link as verdict read. The dark haired male attorney with his hand on Ryan's shoulder went to high school with Ryan -- at the presser he told how he wanted this case from the date Ryan charged because he knew that Bo was the killer-- he never doubted Ryan.

Updated: 11:30 AM EDT May 20, 2022

OCILLA, Ga. — After 9 days in court and about eight hours of deliberating, the jury in the Ryan Duke trial reached a verdict.
It's as follows, count-by-count:
  • Count 1: Malice murder NOT GUILTY
  • Count 2: Felony murder NOT GUILTY
  • Count 3: Murder NOT GUILTY
  • Count 4: Aggravated assault NOT GUILTY
  • Count 5: Burglary NOT GUILTY
  • Count 6: Concealing the death of another GUILTY

@PhilHollowayEsq

BREAKING: The jury in the #TaraGrinstead murder trial of State v Ryan Duke has found #RyanDuke NOT GUILTY of the murder of the South Georgia Teacher and Beauty Queen Guilty only on Count 6 - Concealing a Death #RyanDukeTrial

8:29 AM · May 20, 2022

@PhilHollowayEsq

Count 6 - Carries up to 10 years. #RyanDuke has already served ~5 years or so and is legally entitled to credit for that time served

8:30 AM · May 20, 2022·

@PhilHollowayEsq

It appears the defense may not re-address the issue of Statute of Limitations as to count 6 - concealing a death in the #TaraGrinstead trial. Otherwise sentencing will be Monday morning at 9am

8:35 AM · May 20, 2022

@PhilHollowayEsq

One way or another #RyanDuke will be a free man much sooner than Bo Dukes, who the Defense says is the real killer of #TaraGrinstead

8:42 AM · May 20, 2022·

@PhilHollowayEsq

Sadly this verdict in the #TaraGrinstead trial does not do #JusticeForTara because there will ALWAYS be controversy about what happened to her. Many will believe the testimony of #RyanDuke and many will believe the alleged confession of #RyanDuke Will the truth ever be known?

9:01 AM · May 20, 2022·

My opinion is not going to be popular but it is my opinion. I truly think Ryan is guilty. His confession was real, it was like he was relieved to finally get the truth out. I don’t think he did it because he was scared of Bo or that “he did it because he knew Bo wouldn’t”. When he was younger he would have been more loyal but they hadn’t seen each other for years and were no longer close. I don’t think he did it out of fear. He just blurted it out and seemed relieved to “man up” and “do the right thing”. Now instead of doing both of those things, he has dragged this out for the family and community AND is costing the taxpayers money that that poor community doesn’t have for an expensive, unneccessay trial. I just don’t see how anyone can be Pro Ryan or Pro Bo then claim to be Pro Tara. They both did horrible acts and it is time for Justice for Tara Grinstead. MOO

agree!

I have followed this case from the beginning and listened to every news piece and podcast I could over the years. I have always thought Ryan had more to do with this than just getting rid of her body. I watched all of this trial. I was leaning heavily toward guilt the entire time, but IMO I just don't think the state proved their case... they didn't prove it enough for me. I believed his confession, but I didn't see or hear of any substantial evidence to corroborate his confession. Sure there were a few little things, but for me to convict on a murder charge - if I were on the jury - I would have needed more. I believe there was reasonable doubt. With that said, I do lean towards Ryan's guilt even right now - but if I am following the jury instructions - the doubt I have would stop me from voting Guilty. It sucks. I really wanted her family to get real answers and justice. I'm torn inside because I do believe Ryan likely did it - but the state just didn't have enough to make me sure of it.

There were so many questions still at the end of the trial as far as what happened to Tara? I know the state can only work with what they have - IMO - they didn't have enough for a murder conviction. Actually I agree with the Not Guilty on the burglary charge as well - there was no real proof of even that. My heart goes out to the Grinstead family. I will be interested to see what kind of life Ryan lives in the future. I wish I could see Bo's reaction to this verdict. (MOO, IMO, IMHO)

Will Bo be charged now? They’re both bad guys. Really bad. I won’t be surprised if Ryan has more criminal offenses in the future. Maybe his legal team will take him under their wing when he’s released

I believe the jurors are going to feel even better about their decision when they get home a learn more about BD. What he has done and what he is known to be guilty of. I also believe they got it right. RD did not kill her. The prosecution did a horrible job and I guess felt compelled to charge SOMEONE and all they had was RD drug induced confession of a man with nothing to live for. I hope Ryan, now that he is clean, will have a good life.

Also, I forgot to add: I wasn't a fan of the states closing. The attorney who did the closing was very off putting to me with his yelling. I thought their closing was weak. I liked how the defense listed out questions the jury should ask themselves - funny - some of those were my own questions at the end of the trial. IMO, MOO, IMHO

I’ll wait to see if someone can answer my question since I missed his explanation. Thanks!
Some other sites have the dm's that Bo sent Ryan but can't be linked here because it's not WS approved. The Facebook msgs by Bo helped me to understand how/why Ryan confessed (with certain details) within 2 minutes of LE beginning the video recording. However, please take note that LE did NOT begin recording Ryan until he'd been there several hours. It's obvious that they started the recording when they expected Ryan to begin the confession and not a minute earlier.

Perhaps the discovery will be released after Ryan is sentenced and will be able to see the texts that Bo sent to Ryan under the direction of GBI. In other words, it seemed to me that Ryan's video confession was being coerced by GBI long before Ryan even arrived at the police station!

While there's really no justice for Tara that was senselessly murdered and missing for so long-- causing her family so much pain, I do believe the jury got it right. Ryan was not the killer -- that was Bo. MOO

I think the jury got the verdict so right, his 3 attorneys did a stellar job, all defendants should have access to lawyers like these, for me I knew something wasn't right when Bo and his atty and a few DA's had a meeting and he was told he would be given some kind of deal if he told/sold his version of events, they knew before this meeting what Bo had told his girlfriend and others and GBI wanted to interview him, so they had a meeting he was promised a deal and he then gave his statements implicating Ryan, I bet they all felt they had backed the wrong horse when it was revealed what a predator BO was,

They won't try Bo in Irwin Co. There are many people worse than Ryan Duke walking around. How many DV abusers abuse daily for years?
From the link -- the married couple took Ryan's case pro-bono because they believed him from the first day they met Ryan. I believe Ryan's testimony at trial came off as a defendant that knew his attorneys believed in his innocence for the murder of Tara. I think the jury responded to the same by Ryan.

Mr. Gibbs. (dark-haired defense attorney) went to Irin High School with Ryan, and Gibbs asked the lead attorneys if he could join the defense because he also knew that Ryan was not the killer. (Gibbs would have also gone to school with Bo Dukes and I'm sure nobody had to convince him that Bo Dukes fits the profile of a killer). IMO, BD avoided punishment for most of his youth and early adulthood because he had family in high places.

I think the jury got the verdict so right, his 3 attorneys did a stellar job, all defendants should have access to lawyers like these, for me I knew something wasn't right when Bo and his atty and a few DA's had a meeting and he was told he would be given some kind of deal if he told/sold his version of events, they knew before this meeting what Bo had told his girlfriend and others and GBI wanted to interview him, so they had a meeting he was promised a deal and he then gave his statements implicating Ryan, I bet they all felt they had backed the wrong horse when it was revealed what a predator BO was,
Exactly!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back