GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

5/16/22

#####
As the court was called to order, Defense Attorney Ashleigh Merchant presented a black and white photo of the door jam of Tara Grinstead's house. Claims that questioning was not done in good faith. State Attorney J.D. Hart says that her questioning was done in good faith.
#####
The jury joined the courtroom at 9:14 a.m.
The first witness called to the stand was Todd Crosby, a Special Agent in Charge for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
Crosby was asked by State Attorney Brad Rigby about the investigation at Fitzgerald Farms in Ben Hill County.

982b6580-e564-4e9c-9679-3d1344710785-medium16x9_ToddCrosby.jpg

Todd Crosby/Source: WFXL

WATCH LIVE: Ryan Duke Trial in Tara Grinstead Murder Day 6​

Jerry, the owner of trailer where Bo and Ryan loved at the time, tells the prosecutor during cross “needs to pay better attention to him”

State tries to argue that Defense did not file Alibi Notice for this witness. Defense says to Court that they are not using him as an “alibi witness” and that this witness was not even there at the time referred to in the charging document (Oct 23, he was with Ryan on Oct 22). I don’t know but it seems like the State is continuing to try and keep some things out (as of today Bo Duke, some of this witness testify, the list may grow over the rest of today). Why are they fighting so hard to exclude some of these things if their case is so strong?
I wonder what the jury thinks of the case so far. (We know per those in the courtroom that they laughed when this witness told State she needs to listen better to him….)

Seems like the prosecutor def took some of Jerry’s significant other social media posts to heart, she was getting so heated with him. Almost condescending at some point when she stamped her foot and asked him if he knew what “passed out” means….

Hey folks, if you are watching the case on TV and are unable to provide a link, please make that clear in your posts.

Otherwise we have members Reporting the posts as "no link to MSM" and Mods or Admins don't know the source, and you risk your post being removed.

That way other members who are not able to view the source can decide whatever weight they wish to apply to the original poster's own interpretation.

Tuesday, May 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla, still missing) – *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/33/now 38) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial began on 5/2/22 with jury selection. Trial began on 5/9/22. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. State rested their case on 5/16/22. Defense started their case on 5/16/22.
Court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 4/28/22 & Jury selection Day 1-3 (5/3 to 5/5/22) & Trial Day 1-5 (5/9 to 5/13/22) reference post #499 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-25

5/16/22 Monday, Trial Day 6: State witnesses: GBI Special Agent Todd Crosby. He's a crime scene expert who's one of the first who investigated the burn site looking for human bones - says he found household trash near where bones were located. Romy Franco, Bone identification expert from Texas. Former GBI Agent Madison Holland. He was the other agent who was in the room when Duke was interviewed. The defense asks for him to be subject to recall & under subpoena in the Grinstead trial. Jesse Worley, GBI latent print expert.
for more info see post #503 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-26
Jesse Worley, GBI Latent print expert continued.
for more info see post #506 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-26
The State rested their case.
Defense is making motion for directed verdict & both sides give arguments. Judge Reinhardt will decide during the lunch break in the Grinstead case.
for more info see post #509, 517 & 518 here:
Judge denies Motion for Directed Verdict; Defense says they wish to present their case evidence to the jury now. Before bringing jury back in State mentions on the record that Bo Duke has counsel & has stated his intention to plead the 5th. Defense says they did not intend to call Bo today but seems like they wanted to and/or will in the future. The State does not want the defense to call Duke.
Defense witnesses: Psychologist Dr. Christopher Tillitski, who is a false confession expert but is offered as an expert in forensic psychology.
for more info see post #513 & 517 here:
Defense witnesses: Jerry Williams, he was the owner of the trailer where Duke & Bo Dukes lived when Tara was killed in 2005. John Olmstead, who lived across the street from Tara. John Harper, lived across the street from Tara.
for more info see post #515 here:
Defense witness: Ocilla police Det. Bill Barrs.
for more info see post #517 here:
Trial continues on 5/17/22.
Accomplice:

*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) and sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update: A hearing set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

Sitting in court this morning (and all this week) the motion to allow Bo Dukes to be called was not as fiery as expected.

Court does expect Bo to plead the fifth, repeatedly
it is all about optics, even if he pleads the 5th the jury get to see him do so, and the defense can expand on their arguments through the questions they ask, even if the questions are not answered,

I wonder if defense wanted Duke to testify or if he is doing so against their advice, I think it is a mistake for him to testify, but maybe he and/or his attorneys thought it would play well if he was seen to be answering questions and being cross examined versus Bo Dukes pleading the 5th, I do hope he has done some serious prep, too often I have seen defendants testify extremely well on direct, then immediately become defensive, confrontational and argumentative on cross

Sitting in court this morning (and all this week) the motion to allow Bo Dukes to be called was not as fiery as expected.

Court does expect Bo to plead the fifth, repeatedly
We know BD was convicted and sentenced to 25 years for this case but not for murder:

[Bo] Dukes was convicted of four charges in Wilcox County on Thursday: two counts of making false statements, one count of hindering apprehension or punishment of a criminal and one count of concealing the death of another.

Since BD gave up RD (first to talk after the alleged confession by RD), I don't expect it would be in his best interest to implicate himself in the actual murder -- not that being charged with murder would affect his freedom-- given his prior conviction & 25 yrs for this case coupled with the sentence for his New Year's day crime spree years later. Nonetheless, I'd like to see his body language facing Ryan for the first time:

It was five years ago, February 22, 2017, when according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Ryan Alexander Duke confessed "spontaneously and unsolicited" to agents.

The GBI says Duke told them he was completely responsible for murdering Tara Grinstead, the Ocilla teacher and beauty queen. That confession broke 11 years of silence and unanswered questions and opened another chapter in this investigation.

[..]

On February 22 2017, GBI agents charged Duke with murdering Grinstead, burglary and concealing her body.

4/19/22 A confession, a discovery and 2 arrests: 5 years since break in Tara Grinstead Case

I do find it extraordinary that so many people knew what had happened to Tara as far back as 2005, Bo dukes told many people according to Ryan Duke yet LE say they never knew this till years later, this was at the very early stages of the investigation and I do find it hard to believe that not one person did not mention to LE what they had heard,

*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) and sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update: A hearing set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.
^^rsbm
@Niner -- in next update, can you please edit statement above to read *Bo Dukes: Found guilty of 4 charges.

I couldn't recall and had to go look them up! (BD guilty of hindering prosecution, concealing death of another, and 2 counts making false statement). Thanks. :)

I do find it extraordinary that so many people knew what had happened to Tara as far back as 2005, Bo dukes told many people according to Ryan Duke yet LE say they never knew this till years later, this was at the very early stages of the investigation and I do find it hard to believe that not one person did not mention to LE what they had heard,
IMO, I think every time BD talked at parties, he hoped somebody would talk and implicate RD. I also don't think he feared others would turn on him knowing he generally skated around LE since his youth. Nonetheless, I agree it was extraordinary that so many people allegedly heard the rumors and remained silent. MOO

this whole trial comes down to who the jury believe did the actual murder, both have admitted to disposing of her body by burning it, they blame each other for her murder, so the jury will have to decide who actually killed her. IMO logic and the facts lead me to thinking Bo Dukes is as likely to have murdered her as Ryan Dukes, so I would have enough reasonable doubt to vote NG, as I don't think the state has proven BARD in relation to Ryan.

WATCH LIVE: Ryan Duke Trial in Tara Grinstead Murder Day 7​

for Tuesday, May 17th - Day 7

Phil Holloway™ ⚖️✈️
@PhilHollowayEsq
·
3h
BREAKING NEWS: #RyanDuke takes the stand in his own defense in the #TaraGrinstead murder trial!

Ryan Duke says Bo Dukes told him that he was the real killer of #TaraGrinstead
Duke.jpg

#RyanDuke does admit to helping Bo Dukes destroy #TaraGrinstead's body.

#RyanDuke says Bo Dukes is untrustworthy, was a "dark" person. Says he was afraid of Bo Dukes who came from a politically powerful family

Court.jpg

The jury and family of #TaraGrinstead listen intently as #RyanDuke gives details of his life including his past involvement with drugs and with Bo Dukes

Parents.jpg

#RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury he did not like the Army because he was not sure he could kill a person. Says he never hunts because he would not like killing an animal

#RyanDuke says he went AWOL from the Army after witnessing a trainee die after her parachute did not open during Airborne training

#RyanDuke admits to stealing from his brother and repaying his debt-admits to being AWOL & then turning himself in. This is all to show that he feels guilty when he does something bad-didn't appeal his other-than-honorable Army discharge because that was the discharge he deserved

#RyanDuke gives the #TaraGrinstead jury lots of details about Bo Dukes, says Bo was a freeloader who left bondage *advertiser censored* about violent sex acts laying around

#RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury that Bo Dukes was a thief who was always broke. Says he paid for Bo's gas so Bo would take him to work

#RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury about the weekend Bo Dukes killed her. Jury watching intently as he tells about Bo Dukes drinking tequila on that Saturday afternoon. Ryan also drank some. Got very sick, threw up from tequila shots and passed out in bathroom around 9-10pm

"I was woke up. Bo woke me up" at about 8am on Sunday. Bo was "pale" looked "freaked out" "panicked" Bo "said something that freaked me out".. DA objects when #RyanDuke attempts to say that Bo told him about killing #TaraGrinstead

Outside the presence of the jury, #RyanDuke says Bo Dukes told him "I killed Tara"

The legal wrangling is to decide if the jury can hear this statement

Judge.png

There is ZERO doubt however that this #TaraGrinstead jury knows what #RyanDuke says Bo Dukes admitted. Judge Reinhardt says he will let Ryan tell the jury about Bo's statements

After a break #RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury Bo Dukes "said he killed Tara", at first he didn't understand what Bo meant or who he was talking about, Bo said "he killed Tara Grinstead" then went outside to smoke. He did not initially think Bo was serious

#RyanDuke said Bo Dukes took out #TaraGrinstead's wallet and purse and her driver's license. Assumed Bo had merely stolen them. Told Bo he didn't believe he murdered her. "I didn't know what to do" so then he wanted to return Tara's purse to her

#RyanDuke says he took Bo Duke's truck to attempt to return #TaraGrinstead's purse. Bo was laying on the bed. Ryan drove to Ocilla around 9am Sunday. Stopped at pay phone to make 411 call around 9:30am to try to find Tara & her house to find out if she was ok and return her purse

#RyanDuke says he still did not believe Bo killed #TaraGrinstead so he rode the general area where she lived looking for her house, knew to look for her white sports car. Did not find it so he went back to the trailer and woke Bo Dukes. Bo said he would show Ryan what he did

#RyanDuke says Bo Dukes then drove to them orchard. Bo was quiet. Ryan says he was "more and more worried" but was still unsure. They got to the orchard and Bo showed Ryan the body of #TaraGrinstead - says "she's over there"

#RyanDuke says the body of #TaraGrinstead was in a clearing in the woods partially covered with debris. Tara was face down. Bo flipped her over in a violent motion. Bo looked at Ryan and said "I told you", Tara was wearing clothing, a t-shirt and jogging pants.

#RyanDuke says Bo Dukes said "we got something to do" and starts gathering wood from a nearby barn, fills up the pickup with wood and drove back to the body of #TaraGrinstead - Ryan Duke is getting emotional, voice is shaky now. Jury listening closely

#RyanDuke says Bo pushes up the shirt of #TaraGrinstead and fondles her lifeless corpse. The two then put her into the back of the truck. She was "beat up" with bruises on arms & legs. Ryan is tearful & very emotional as he testifies the pair move Tara to a clearing in some trees

I visibly shaken #RyanDuke says Bo Dukes was laughing as he told Ryan to help him "put her on the wood" - Ryan asked to be taken home but Bo "lit her on fire"

Duke2.png

"You can't say anything, you can't talk about this" is what #RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury Bo said to him after leaving the burning body behind. Didn't see Bo again for a week. Admits not telling anyone.

#RyanDuke says Bo Dukes returned a week later and asked if he had told anyone about #TaraGrinstead, that he was afraid of Bo. Ryan returned to the orchard with Bo and Bo showed him the ashes. Then in November Bo had a party in the orchard. Spoke with Garland Lott

#RyanDuke said Bo told Garland Lott that "we killed #TaraGrinstead" - Bo frequented the "Find Tara" website. Back in High School, Bo would make "suggestive comments" about Ms. Grinstead who Bo had for a teacher

#RyanDuke said he didn't go to the police because he was afraid of Bo, did not know how to untangle himself from Bo

#RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury about a Bo Dukes friend group and some "weirdness" when they were all together.

The DA does NOT want this info to come in

Ryan said Bo told the friend group about what had happened to Tara

The DA did not want this info to come out

#RyanDuke says Bo would want Ryan to do cocaine with him, that Bo would burn Ryan's home down if he ever told what happened to #TaraGrinstead, that Bo was a "pyro", watched YouTube videos about fires

#RyanDuke describes multiple suicide attempts and liver problems and "renal failure" over the years since #TaraGrinstead was killed, heavy drug use and dialysis, would relapse into heavy drug use

#RyanDuke testimony now turns to what he says is a false confession. Describes heavy medication use at that point.

#RyanDuke says Bo Dukes messaged him on Facebook telling him the GBI had talked to him and wanted to talk to Ryan and to "keep my name out of it" - stayed up all night prior to meeting with GBI. Took morphine, pot, Vicodin before the interview

#RyanDuke said he was afraid of Bo Dukes when he confessed to GBI. Before he left home to meet GBI he decided to take the blame because he was afraid of Bo, didn't think Bo would ever fess up

link: https://twitter.com/PhilHollowayEsq

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021