GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

@PhilHollowayEsq

The #TaraGrinstead trial resumes at 12:45 ET with #RyanDuke on cross examination. We also expect to see Bo Dukes, who the defense says is the real killer later this afternoon

BREAKING NEWS: #RyanDuke takes the stand in his own defense in the #TaraGrinstead murder trial!

6:26 AM · May 17, 2022

Ryan Duke says Bo Dukes told him that he was the real killer of #TaraGrinstead

6:29 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke does admit to helping Bo Dukes destroy #TaraGrinstead's body.

6:31 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke says Bo Dukes is untrustworthy, was a "dark" person. Says he was afraid of Bo Dukes who came from a politically powerful family

6:33 AM · May 17, 2022·

The jury and family of #TaraGrinstead listen intently as #RyanDuke gives details of his life including his past involvement with drugs and with Bo Dukes

6:36 AM · May 17, 2022·

#RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury he did not like the Army because he was not sure he could kill a person. Says he never hunts because he would not like killing an animal

6:39 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke says he went AWOL from the Army after witnessing a trainee die after her parachute did not open during Airborne training

6:43 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke admits to stealing from his brother and repaying his debt-admits to being AWOL & then turning himself in. This is all to show that he feels guilty when he does something bad-didn't appeal his other-than-honorable Army discharge because that was the discharge he deserved

6:47 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke gives the #TaraGrinstead jury lots of details about Bo Dukes, says Bo was a freeloader who left bondage *advertiser censored* about violent sex acts laying around

6:51 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury that Bo Dukes was a thief who was always broke. Says he paid for Bo's gas so Bo would take him to work

6:52 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke tells the #TaraGrinstead jury about the weekend Bo Dukes killed her. Jury watching intently as he tells about Bo Dukes drinking tequila on that Saturday afternoon. Ryan also drank some. Got very sick, threw up from tequila shots and passed out in bathroom around 9-10pm

6:56 AM · May 17, 2022

"I was woke up. Bo woke me up" at about 8am on Sunday. Bo was "pale" looked "freaked out" "panicked" Bo "said something that freaked me out".. DA objects when #RyanDuke attempts to say that Bo told him about killing #TaraGrinstead

7:00 AM · May 17, 2022

Outside the presence of the jury, #RyanDuke says Bo Dukes told him "I killed Tara" The legal wrangling is to decide if the jury can hear this statement

7:04 AM · May 17, 2022

@PhilHollowayEsq

So far, #RyanDuke is admitting a lot of bad judgment on the day #TaraGrinstead died. However he did that on direct so this is consistent so far.

9:54 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke is telling the #TaraGrinstead jury on cross-examination that he used latex gloves to change cat litter on a regular basis. Offers a plausible explanation for his DNA being on the infamous glove

9:57 AM · May 17, 2022

#RyanDuke tells the prosecutor that her questions on cross are convoluted and hard to follow... and he's not wrong

9:59 AM · May 17, 2022·

Ryan Duke appearance is possibly one of the most drastic transformation of a defendant I have seen, he barely resembles the shambolic figure we saw when he was first arrested. Being in jail he appears to have had better health care, does not have the access to drugs and alcohol he had on the outside and it has changed his appearance (with the help of suit and tie for court) for the better IMO.

RD is holding up much better than I am listening to the prosecutor!

She's clearly upset he won't admit to lying. IMO, the prosecutor's form of questioning is also designed to provoke anger in the defendant but it's not having the intended effect on RD. I don't think it's in his nature -- as others testified earlier. MOO

I wonder if Bo will choose to answer questions now he knows Ryan has testified he is the murderer, to at least deny he was the one who murdered her
Not likely. I believe he will invoke the 5th for every question. Unlike a witness, I don't believe a defendant can pick and choose which questions he wants to invoke his 5th amendment right -- it's all or nothing. MOO

PLEADING THE FIFTH AS A CRIMINAL DEFENDANT​

In Malloy v. Hogan, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled a defendant has the right to plead the fifth in State criminal cases, as well as, Federal criminal cases. As a criminal defendant, you can choose not to take the stand in order to protect yourself from self-incrimination, however, once you have chosen to do so you have waived your right to testify.

Criminal defendants cannot choose to answer some questions and not others. It’s an all or none scenario in criminal cases.

In Griffin v. California, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that a jury may not infer that a defendant is guilty because the defendant pled the fifth and refused to testify. The U.S. Supreme Court later strengthened this ruling in Ohio v. Reiner.

So - @Seattle1 - do you want to do the rest of the tweets or should I? :D

edited to add - I have some copy/pasted already...

Well - I'll go ahead & post them - cross-exam of Duke

Phil Holloway™ ⚖️✈️
@PhilHollowayEsq
·
6m
#RyanDuke is holding his own so far on cross-examination in the #TaraGrinstead trial

He tells her he has no idea what he smelled like when he spoke to the GBI. They are debating whether he has smoked "good" pot or not that day

Now the DA and #RyanDuke are debating whether south Georgia is generally flat or hilly... sigh, yawn

ADA Hart is making a HUGE deal out of #RyanDuke smoking weed back in 2005. I don't think the #TaraGrinstead jury is concerned about that

#RyanDuke is soft spoken and well-mannered on cross. If she's trying to rattle him, so far it is not working. It's hard to say how the #TaraGrinstead jury is taking it but many are taking notes

Duke3.jpg

Now we are debating the price of pain pills in the #TaraGrinstead trial. This cross-exam of #RyanDuke skips all over the place.

For the first time that I have heard, the @upandvanished
podcast has now been discussed in the #TaraGrinstead trial

"I was prepared to take the blame for something I did not do"

#RyanDuke explains to the #TaraGrinstead jury that he falsely confessed

"I think about that every day"

#RyanDuke addressing ADA Hart's question about the suffering of #TaraGrinstead's family from not knowing what happened to her

link: https://twitter.com/PhilHollowayEsq

To me RD is all over the map and changes his versions of what happened. He tells different versions of his story -- one he told to the SA during interrogation, things he said while in jail and different versions in his testimony at trial. To me his credibility is a big issue.

Well - I see no tweets - so will post the last of them for yesterday - 5/17 Day 7.

The last parts are not in order - I couldn't follow Phil's posts correctly....

Duke's cross exam - 5/17 - Day 7

Phil Holloway™ ???? ??
@PhilHollowayEsq
·
14m
Now we are debating @GameOfThrones
in the #TaraGrinstead trial... and whether it is a violent show

State is asking #RyanDuke about two very old convictions for DUI in the #TaraGrinstead trial. Not sure that moves the needle.

"Bo told me to keep his name the out of it" before #RyanDuke spoke to the GBI - he tells the prosecutor in the #TaraGrinstead trial

Cross of #RyanDuke resumes, State talks about 3 grown men on a love seat the Ryan in a recliner, and Bo Dukes in another recliner.. Ryan thought it was odd that 3 guys were all in a love seat... where is this going?

On cross #RyanDuke is asked about Facebook messenger convo w/ Bo Dukes, "Why did you message me the other day" is what Bo asked - Ryan said "Just to say hey man" ... Defense says the entire convo should be seen by the #TaraGrinstead jury

Re-Direct of #RyanDuke begins with questions about the defense team not being paid, Ryan explains now he feels safe from Bo Dukes because Bo is in prison. The #TaraGrinstead jury is hanging on each word

Next Witness in the #TaraGrinstead trial is Bo Dukes - He will not even answer "What is your name?" without taking the 5th

And that's it for Bo Dukes in the #TaraGrinstead trial!

Next witness in the #TaraGrinstead case is the Irwin Co. Tax Commissioner who used to date #RyanDuke. She is a "good character" witness but also knows about the party at the pecan orchard.

Good.jpg

It looks like the #RyanDuke defense team will wind down their case with a string of "good character" witnesses in the #TaraGrinstead trial

In Georgia, good character is a defense to any crime

Good2.jpg

[This is OUT OF ORDER from the tweets]

Defense calls #TaraGrinstead best friend, Maria Wood. She's the person who told GBI about missing clothing, that she always locked her car doors, kept it clean, dead bolted her door lock from the inside.

This is highly relevant to the defense theory- jury is watching intently

Maria.jpg

Maria says her favorite black yoga pants were missing along with her favorite shoes / sneakers.

I do not understand why the ADA Hart is eliciting testimony from #TaraGrinstead 's best friend about Tara's love life

Maria2.jpg

Based on what's been discussed in court, it appears that Bo Dukes is being transported to the courthouse where he will be called as a witness in the #TaraGrinstead trial

BREAKING: Just filed in court in the #TaraGrinstead trial:

"DEFENDANT RYAN DUKE'S RESPONSE AND OBJECTION TO THE STATE'S MOTION IN LIMINE FILED ON MAY 16, 2022 TO PRECLUDE CROSS-EXAMINATION OF BO DUKES, THE SNITCH IN THIS CASE"

Fireworks start at 8:30 am

"The state's strategy...has been to hide Bo Dukes from the jury. That is because he is a convicted liar, has pending charges for forcible rape, and has given numerous different versions of this story"

"The problem is that Bo Dukes is the person who originally accused Mr. Duke of killing Ms. Grinstead so under the 6th Amendment Mr. Duke has a right to cross-examine him with his prior convictions, pending charges, and his prior inconsistent statements"

"The fact that he may assert his 5th Amendment rights...does not mean that he gets to prioritize his right and thus preclude Mr. Duke from asserting his constitutional right to a fair trial..."

UPDATE: Judge says Bo Dukes WILL be allowed to take the stand. It is unclear how far the defense will be allowed to go with Bo Dukes in the #TaraGrinstead trial

link: https://twitter.com/PhilHollowayEsq

Wednesday, May 18th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 8:30am) & *Trial continues (Day 8) (@ 10am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla, still missing) – *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/33/now 38) charged (2/23/17), arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial began on 5/2/22 with jury selection. Trial began on 5/9/22. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. State rested their case on 5/16/22. Defense started their case on 5/16/22.
Court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 4/28/22 & Jury selection Day 1-3 (5/3 to 5/5/22) & Trial Day 1-6 (5/9 to 5/16/22) reference post #526 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-27

5/17/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 7: Defense witness: Ryan Duke.
for more info see post #539 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-27
Defense witness: Ryan Duke on cross exam.
for more info see posts #541, 543 & 554 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-28
Defense witnesses: Ryan Duke. Bo Dukes. Took the 5th. Next witness is the Irwin Co. Tax Commissioner who used to date Duke (no name given). Another "good character" witness (no name given). Maria Wood, Tara's best friend.
for more info see post #556 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-28
Trial continues on 5/18/22. Court will start at 10am, but at 8:30am for motions.

Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) of hindering prosecution, concealing death of another & 2 counts making false statement & sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update:
A hearing was set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

So - @Seattle1 - do you want to do the rest of the tweets or should I? :D

edited to add - I have some copy/pasted already...
Sorry @Niner -- I think we posted a minute apart. I also noticed the page doesn't refresh as quickly since the upgrade. I'm only checking in on the case intermittently. :)

Sorry @Niner -- I think we posted a minute apart. I also noticed the page doesn't refresh as quickly since the upgrade. I'm only checking in on the case intermittently. :)

I thought so - about the posting a minute apart! :) And you're right about the page not refreshing as fast as before...

I'm wondering if closing will be today or the defense has more witnesses. Sounds like the jury should be getting the case pretty soon!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckierPresents
Back