GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

Phil Holloway™ ⚖️✈️
@PhilHollowayEsq
1st up today in the #TaraGrinstead murder trial the JUDGE will hear from women who say Bo Dukes sexually assaulted them in order to decide if she jury should hear this testimony. It’s part of the #RyanDuke defense effort to pin the murder on Dukes. Start time 8:30am ET

Judge in the #TaraGrinstead trial is being asked to let jury hear evidence that Bo Dukes is violent predator which supports why #RyanDuke says he was afraid of Bo Dukes

Judge will not let the jury hear this

Judge.png

Now the defense in #TaraGrinstead trial is discussing being ambushed at 9pm last night by a prosecution "rebuttal" evidence- an expert report by an expert witness on "false confessions" who thinks "confessions are more likely to be true"

Defense.png

Garlan Lott is the State's 1st rebuttal witness in the #TaraGrinstead trial. He knows both #RyanDuke and Bo Dukes. He says he heard LONG ago at a bonfire that a comment was made by one of them - he's not sure who - that "we killed" Tara

Lott.jpg

Rebuttal in the #TaraGrinstead trial, the state calls GBI Inspector to tell jury the GBI interview of #RyanDuke was not deficient

Judge set strict limits on his testimony- let's see if DA opens the door to more false statement theory that the defense was not allowed to get into

GBI.png

link: https://twitter.com/PhilHollowayEsq

I wonder what others think of this female prosecutor's style; I can't stand her tone sometimes with their witnesses.
When she was questioning the witness about the issues with Ryan's "confession" and the number of "corrections" Ryan gave the Agent.....the sheer number of times she inserted -
"I don't want to go through all 21 of those uhm (long pause)"....
"Again I am not going to go through all 21 of those"....
"...the majority of those 21 corrections...."

It was so painfully obvious how badly she wanted the jury to think of the "large" number of times Ryan corrected the agent....but I am willing to bet some of them are so mundane. One of the "corrections" is Ryan telling the Agent "no sir I'm not" when the Agent tells him he is "doing the right thing". Bit of a stretch to me when this witness is saying those corrections are "extremely important" in determining they have the right person....
she reminds me a bit of the prosecutor from Brooke Skylar Richardson trial

There doesn't seem to be any more tweets - did the Judge send the jurors for deliberations?

TIA!

Since I am 7 hours ahead of Eastern time - I'm headed for bed. If no one else does the rest of the tweets for today - if there will be any - I'll post them in the (my) morning. :)

Reading Twitter, seems to me that I'm not alone in my assessment of JD Hart. I found her cross-examination of RD condescending and hard to watch -- especially her throwing her head back, staring at the ceiling, and shaking her head every time the defense speaks. MOO

Also, is JD Hart's reference to the "Republic of South Georgia" correct? :eek:

In response to a viewer comment about how after Bo confessed and gave Ryan's name, GBI directed Bo to call Ryan, and Bo had several hours of contact with Ryan before Ryan turned himself in, and GBI texted Bo during this time, PH responded as follows:
https://twitter.com/PhilHollowayEsq
@PhilHollowayEsq

Replying to
@***********
and
@********
GBI admitted training designed to prevent false confessions wasn't followed, that details of "confession" don't match evidence, that "guilty knowledge" could've come from Bo, that Bo's DNA was likely on the glove, that Bo fed them the narrative, I probably wouldn't put him up

6:27 AM · May 14, 2022·

Updated: 5:36 PM EDT May 18, 2022

OCILLA, Ga. — Closing arguments are expected Thursday in the Ryan Duke trial after the defense rested its case and the prosecution offered a rebuttal.

The day started with a hearing about whether to allow testimony about Bo Dukes. Jurors were not present for the hearing, and Judge Bill Reinhardt ultimately ruled jurors would not hear the testimony once the trial resumed.

The prosecution called Mitchell Posey, a GBI inspector and medical examiner, as an expert in the analysis of Duke’s testimony.

Duke’s defense lawyers have argued he was under duress during the interview, that he was scared, and under the influence of painkillers.
Posey said the agent interviewing Duke made mistakes while questioning him, but he still found the confession credible.

“Because of the first 1:30 minute, there is no reason for an assumption [of guilt] anymore, which again is why I told you that is so important because without any techniques, without any tactics, without any mistake, we have the foundation of the admission. From that point on, it's just a matter of understanding the details and then being able to corroborate those details,” said Posey.

When cross-examined by the defense, Posey was visibly agitated at the repeated compound questions.

Apparently, the tedious testimony also affected a couple of jurors as the judge questioned them about falling asleep in the jury box.
The judge dismissed one of the jurors but allowed the other to stay on.

Then, he reviewed the jury’s instructions with the attorneys.
Closing arguments are expected Thursday morning. Each side gets up to two hours.

@Niner

I don't recall if Bo Dukes 2019 indictment ever went to trial. These are the charges that Judge Reinhardt ruled today could not be heard by Ryan's jury:

According to the new indictment, Dukes is now charged with:
-- One count of rape;
-- two counts of aggravated sodomy, involving both women;
-- two counts of kidnapping
-- two counts of aggravated assault with a dangerous weapon.

According to the indictment, Dukes pointed a Browning 20-gauge shotgun at both women and threatened to kill them;

-- four counts of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony;
-- and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Dukes went missing after the New Year's Day incident and was arrested four days later at a relative's home in Irwin County.

No trial date has been set for Dukes on either the Houston County case or the Ben Hill County charges.

1/16/2019 Houston Co. grand jury indicts Bo Dukes in New Year's Day rape, kidnappings

I don't recall if Bo Dukes 2019 indictment ever went to trial. These are the charges that Judge Reinhardt ruled today could not be heard by Ryan's jury:

According to the new indictment, Dukes is now charged with:
-- One count of rape;
-- two counts of aggravated sodomy, involving both women;
-- two counts of kidnapping
-- two counts of aggravated assault with a dangerous weapon.

According to the indictment, Dukes pointed a Browning 20-gauge shotgun at both women and threatened to kill them;

-- four counts of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony;
-- and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Dukes went missing after the New Year's Day incident and was arrested four days later at a relative's home in Irwin County.

No trial date has been set for Dukes on either the Houston County case or the Ben Hill County charges.

1/16/2019 Houston Co. grand jury indicts Bo Dukes in New Year's Day rape, kidnappings

In my notes for Bo I have:
Dukes still faces charges in Ben Hill County for allegedly burning Grinstead's body on his uncle's pecan orchard, and in Houston County for allegedly sexually assaulting two women at gunpoint.

On your previous post - what is the medical examiner's name - tried to find it on the Phil's tweeter - but he didn't even mention him. TIA!

Thursday, May 19th:
*Trial continues (Day 9)-Closing Arguments (@ 9am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla, still missing) – *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/33/now 38) charged (2/23/17), arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial began on 5/2/22 with jury selection. Trial began on 5/9/22. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. 5/18/22: 1 juror dismissed. 12 jurors & 5 alternates. State rested their case on 5/16/22. Defense started their case on 5/16/22 & ended on 5/18/22.
Court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 4/28/22 & Jury selection Day 1-3 (5/3 to 5/5/22) & Trial Day 1-7 (5/9 to 5/17/22) reference post #557 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-28

5/18/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 8: Defense rested their case.
State rebuttal witnesses: Garlan Lott. He knows both Ryan Duke & Bo Dukes. GBI Inspector & medical examiner Michael Posey to tell jury the GBI interview of Duke was not deficient.
for more info see post #561, 567, 569 & 572 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-29
Jurors handed a complaint to the bailiffs that the one of their counterparts was caught sleeping during court on more than one occasion. The man said he worked at night * was struggling at times to stay awake, so he was dismissed & will be replaced by one of the six alternates who’ve been listening to all the testimony.
Trial continues on 5/19/22 with closing arguments.

Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) of hindering prosecution, concealing death of another & 2 counts making false statement & sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update:
A hearing was set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

Last edited:
On your previous post - what is the medical examiner's name - tried to find it on the Phil's tweeter - but he didn't even mention him. TIA!
^^rsbm
My understanding is that the ME is the same person as GBI Inspector Mitchell Posey. He's currently the GBI Inspector but has had many roles over the years, and he's aso been qualified to testify as an expert ME.

The prosecution called Mitchell Posey, a GBI inspector and medical examiner, as an expert in the analysis of Duke’s testimony.

^^rsbm
My understanding is that the ME is the same person as GBI Inspector Mitchell Posey. He's currently the GBI Inspector but has had many roles over the years, and he's aso been qualified to testify as an expert ME.

Okay - corrected my stuff. Thanks!

Ive been catching SOME of the walb fb live stream at night. Ryan Duke seemed believable to me- i wasn't expecting that. Did the jury see Bo plead the 5th to all question or were they in the jury room? I have lost track of what they've seen. But from what I have seen, imoo it seems more likely Bo could be guilty of harming a woman- but idk if the jury got to hear about ALL the rape charges by different women against Bo. It seems important to the case to me. As a juror I would want to know that - it sets a pattern of behavior.- women everywhere should fear him IMOO. I havent heard of Ryan being charged with rape more than once. Yes he's guilty of crime but im having trouble believing he was responsible for her murder.

One other question: did I hear they had multiple alternate jurors in case several sleep or fall ill? I really thought I heard the judge say 18- nvr heard of that many before, but it makes a lot of sense.

Vibe in the courtroom is lighter this morning. Closing is at 9a

did I hear they had multiple alternate jurors in case several sleep or fall ill? I really thought I heard the judge say 18- nvr heard of that many before, but it makes a lot of sense.

Two jurors were spoken to about sleeping - one said he was working nights and in trial during the day. the other said she dozed briefly but caught everything. The man who works nights was released.

18 jurors (6 alternates) makes sense in the time of Covid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back