GA GA - Two AWOL Afghan soldiers (one found), Moody AFB, Valdosta, 7 Dec 2015

IMO It doesn't matter where they are from.
Two pilots are missing from an AF base! This should be top news.

I really think people are overreacting. Just because they are from Afghanistan doesn't mean they are a threat. They probably want to stay in the US. A year is a long time to get accustomed to a new way of life. Now please understand I'm NOT saying it's right. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't freak out yet.
All MOO

The problem with that though based on the current situation we are now facing we nor the government can just assume they left because they want to stay here. We nor the government knows the true motive for going AWOL concerning these two. That is why they must try to find these two men and verify the true motive for leaving. If found they will be shipped back home without graduating which was to happen on December 18th, iirc.

Usually the ones from another country who go AWOL are found rather quickly in two or three days. The military wouldn't keep up with these two guys any more than they keep up with our military and what they do with their free time on the weekend. Like all military bases here, they would realize they were missing on Monday when they didn't report for duty if their off days were on the weekend.

These guys weren't pilots. They were aircraft mechanics which is just as vital as the pilots to the military because they are the ones who keeps the aircraft mechanically sound so they can fly safely.

IMO

(SNIPPED) The base said the men were screened before their arrival, and had been training alongside American counterparts. The missing men “do not pose any apparent threat,” the base said.

An Air Force spokesman, Lt. Col. Christopher P. Karns, said in a telephone interview that the last contact with the two students was on Friday. OKAY, that was 6 days ago. They are allowed to leave the base on weekends, and it was assumed they did, he said. What do they mean "assumed"??? Don't they know where the hell their foreign fighters are? What kind of security is that?

After the men failed to report for duty on Monday and they were not found in their living quarters on the base, the search widened to include federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure their “safe return,”

Safe return my grandmother's boots. They are covering up that they want to know, where the hell these two deserters from terrorist infected nations are and what the hell they are up to.

All without getting normal people upset that the US brings in and trains on our own soil Muslims, that may or may not be secret terrorists.

NO worries, ya all. Haha, lots of our imported Young male Muslims that we train for combat, like to take a hike off base and disappear, to enjoy the United States Country Side. No, need to worry your little head about any of that.

*****BUT. SNIPPED: The base said the men were screened before their arrival, and had been training alongside American counterparts. The missing men “do not pose any apparent threat,” the base said.

After the men failed to report for duty on Monday and they were not found in their living quarters on the base, the search widened to include federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure their “safe return,” SNIP

“In light of everything going on in the world today, we want to make sure no one jumps to any unfair or misinformed conclusions,” he said.

Well, alrighty then. In light of everything going on in the world today, you've already admitted that you have lost sight of these two. Would that be unfair to say? Or, would that be an unfair or misinformed conclusion?

Colonel Karns said. He added there were no reports of missing weapons, “or anything of that nature.”

Okay Dokay, Colonel Karns. I guess these two little innocent guys, just decided to evade the United States Government and the wrath that SHOULD have gone down on their heads by desserting.

As, like all, middle eastern recruits, they just wanted to do a little site seeing of America. Hey, What they Hay.

This story should be TOP NEWS. The Pictures of these recruits should be TOP NEWS.

There is NO good reason to go awol. NONE.

There's every good reason to go AWOL, though I imagine they will come to regret that decision, if they haven't already.

Why go AWOL? Because returning means they'd soon be back in a war zone, made all the more treacherous because they'll be marked as collaborators with the Great Satan US.

When one is living bombs and endless war and desperation and shortages of everything, it must be impossible to imagine any other reality; having lived another reality here for a year I can readily understand them finding it impossible to return.

What they may not understand is just how unsafe they are here - too much fear, too many guns, and no doubt they will look "suspicious" to too many.

There was apparently no evidence the two in San Berdoo were terrorists either until they died in a shoot out with police after shooting over 30 people. Government reassurances are meaningless to me at this point. We hired a terrorist to inspect food and water at schools and restaurants and let his girlfriend in without an interview using a fake address.

Praying they'll be found soon. Praying for their safety and ours.

The problem with that though based on the current situation we are now facing we nor the government can just assume they left because they want to stay here. We nor the government knows the true motive for going AWOL concerning these two. That is why they must try to find these two men and verify the true motive for leaving. If found they will be shipped back home without graduating which was to happen on December 18th, iirc.

Usually the ones from another country who go AWOL are found rather quickly in two or three days. The military wouldn't keep up with these two guys any more than they keep up with our military and what they do with their free time on the weekend. Like all military bases here, they would realize they were missing on Monday when they didn't report for duty if their off days were on the weekend.

These guys weren't pilots. They were aircraft mechanics which is just as vital as the pilots to the military because they are the ones who keeps the aircraft mechanically sound so they can fly safely.

IMO

So we nor the government don't know why they left true.
I do wonder if they were Mexicans would the same thought of terrorism cross people's mind? What if they are Afghanistan born however they are Christians? Would people think "better" of them? This type of stereo type leads people to react instead of think.
I doubt we will ever be on the same side of the debate. So I'll agree to disagree.
I hope they are found and they are safe.

I don't know whether to be worried because they have been AWOL for almost a WEEK now! And apparently, all our best military and LE can't track them down yet...

or, to be worried that something bad has happened to them.

I dunno, but it IS an uneasy feeling........................................................

(SNIPPED) The base said the men were screened before their arrival, and had been training alongside American counterparts. The missing men “do not pose any apparent threat,” the base said.

An Air Force spokesman, Lt. Col. Christopher P. Karns, said in a telephone interview that the last contact with the two students was on Friday. OKAY, that was 6 days ago. They are allowed to leave the base on weekends, and it was assumed they did, he said. What do they mean "assumed"??? Don't they know where the hell their foreign fighters are? What kind of security is that?

After the men failed to report for duty on Monday and they were not found in their living quarters on the base, the search widened to include federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure their “safe return,”

Safe return my grandmother's boots. They are covering up that they want to know, where the hell these two deserters from terrorist infected nations are and what the hell they are up to.

All without getting normal people upset that the US brings in and trains on our own soil Muslims, that may or may not be secret terrorists.

NO worries, ya all. Haha, lots of our imported Young male Muslims that we train for combat, like to take a hike off base and disappear, to enjoy the United States Country Side. No, need to worry your little head about any of that.

*****BUT. SNIPPED: The base said the men were screened before their arrival, and had been training alongside American counterparts. The missing men “do not pose any apparent threat,” the base said.

After the men failed to report for duty on Monday and they were not found in their living quarters on the base, the search widened to include federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure their “safe return,” SNIP

“In light of everything going on in the world today, we want to make sure no one jumps to any unfair or misinformed conclusions,” he said.

Well, alrighty then. In light of everything going on in the world today, you've already admitted that you have lost sight of these two. Would that be unfair to say? Or, would that be an unfair or misinformed conclusion?

Colonel Karns said. He added there were no reports of missing weapons, “or anything of that nature.”

Okay Dokay, Colonel Karns. I guess these two little innocent guys, just decided to evade the United States Government and the wrath that SHOULD have gone down on their heads by desserting.

As, like all, middle eastern recruits, they just wanted to do a little site seeing of America. Hey, What they Hay.

This story should be TOP NEWS. The Pictures of these recruits should be TOP NEWS.

There is NO good reason to go awol. NONE.

....except to escape going back to a war and near certain death. IJS.

Well I don't get a good feeling having 2 service men missing that are not American service men. JMO

Well I don't get a good feeling having 2 service men missing that are not American service men. JMO

I don't know that ANY missing service men is a good thing. But I do understand people going AWOL out of fear. 100%

I don't know that ANY missing service men is a good thing. But I do understand people going AWOL out of fear. 100%

The Timing of them going AWOL, is what is concerning.

Maybe they stayed as long as they could, (as in not going AWOL) and when it was time to graduate and leave, they decided to go AWOL. That is what I am hoping, anyway. I am hoping that they enjoyed their time in the USA, and didn't feel the Need to go AWOL Until it was close to the time they graduate and leave to go home.
Otherwise... if that is Not the case and it is sinister in nature, that is particularly ominous, in my opinion.

I think the Not Knowing, is what is leading to many questions, and logical questions at that.

IMOO.

Considering that authorities believe they probably rented a car and left the Valdosta area, I think officials have evidence that their initial disappearance was "of their own volition", no foul play involved.

Wherever they are now, I think they're safe--blending in--not drawing attention to themselves; thus, unlikely to be confronted by anyone.

JMO and MOO

http://www.walb.com/story/30708914/sources-missing-afghan-trainees-likely-rented-car

What changed to make Moody decide to go against their initial stance?:

Moody officials said they would not be releasing the names of the two men or any pictures of them.

http://www.walb.com/story/30708914/sources-missing-afghan-trainees-likely-rented-car

The names and passport photos of two missing Afghan national air force students were released Thursday. But there’s still no sign of the two men, last seen Friday on Moody Air Force Base.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/report-names-passport-photos-released-of-missing-a/npg3c/

They did a complete turn around and in a huge way. Why? If they weren't concerned before, what changed their minds to release their IDs to the public? They were trying to downplay the men were missing because they only were in the maintenance end of training and not pilots yet they continue to ramp things up to find them.

What changed to make Moody decide to go against their initial stance?:

Moody officials said they would not be releasing the names of the two men or any pictures of them.

The names and passport photos of two missing Afghan national air force students were released Thursday. But there’s still no sign of the two men, last seen Friday on Moody Air Force Base.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/report-names-passport-photos-released-of-missing-a/npg3c/

They did a complete turn around and in a huge way. Why? If they weren't concerned before, what changed their minds to release their IDs to the public? They were trying to downplay the men were missing because they only were in the maintenance end of training and not pilots yet they continue to ramp things up to find them.

The names and photos were released after it was turned over to Homeland Security.

Wouldn't LE know if they'd taken money out of their accounts or used their credit cards? You can't rent a car without a credit card (did either one have a driver's license valid in the US?) so if they rented a car LE and the rental agency would know. I think they would have needed a hotel by now too, and again they would need a credit card and ID.

So either they haven't needed any money or LE knows more than they're telling us.
JMO

Wouldn't LE know if they'd taken money out of their accounts or used their credit cards? You can't rent a car without a credit card (did either one have a driver's license valid in the US?) so if they rented a car LE and the rental agency would know. I think they would have needed a hotel by now too, and again they would need a credit card and ID.

So either they haven't needed any money or LE knows more than they're telling us.
JMO

I wonder if the "sources" are correct that the missing men rented a car.

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

The United States does not issue IDPs to foreign visitors. To get an IDP, contact the authorities of the country that issued your driver's license or its motoring association. If you want to rent a car, you may need both your license and an IDP; find out the rental company's policies in advance.

If the men rented a car, surely there would be a record unless maybe they had convincing fake ID's which would indicate this wasn't a spur of the minute decision not to return. I would think just about any rental would have GPS which would be traceable. If the rental was abandoned, why wouldn't that location be revealed now that the identities and photos of the missing men have been made public?

It looks like one or both could have obtained a Ga. driver's license. It seems the only requirement for applying is establishing residency for 30 days.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/dldata.aspx?con=1741471757&ty=dl

All MOO and conjecture

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member