GA GA - Wayne Williams - Atlanta Child Murders & more - 1979-1981

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by mysteriew, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Namlok04

Namlok04 Member

Agreed. It's a lot of work to take on for one department in a densely populated area, and with all those high crime rates. I meant more how the department handled their cases after the arrest and conviction of WW. Even though some of those cases (I think based on fibers it was 5-8?) were connected by latent evidence to him, those twenty some other cases should not have been closed until we had a definitive answer and/or unsub(s) in custody.
    I still have hopes that even today, we're able to find answers for the families.
    I know the main task of police is to try to solve the crime after it's happened- so why aren't there more cold case units?
    (I'm sure I could speculate; lack of funds, not enough bodies, not enough leads, etc) But I think of cases like Deborah Sue Williamson - where the sheriff outright told their family that they're not actively investigating her case anymore.
    I'm not trying to paint LE in a negative light, I think we can all agree that it needs some tweaking, I just hope that they're now able to use all of today's technological advances to their advantage to put the right people away.

Kell1 likes this.

2. Namlok04

Namlok04 Member

Agreed. It's a lot of work to take on for one department in a densely populated area, and with all those high crime rates. I meant more how the department handled their cases after the arrest and conviction of WW. Even though some of those cases (I think based on fibers it was 5-8?) were connected by latent evidence to him, those twenty some other cases should not have been closed until we had a definitive answer and/or unsub(s) in custody.
    I still have hopes that even today, we're able to find answers for the families.
    I know the main task of police is to try to solve the crime after it's happened- so why aren't there more cold case units?
    (I'm sure I could speculate; lack of funds, not enough bodies, not enough leads, etc) But I think of cases like Deborah Sue Williamson - where the sheriff outright told their family that they're not actively investigating her case anymore.
    I'm not trying to paint LE in a negative light, I think we can all agree that it needs some tweaking, I just hope that they're now able to use all of today's technological advances to their advantage to put the right people away.

mickey2942 likes this.
  3. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Member

The KKK theory is probably the most baseless and dumbest thing Ive read in regards to Serial killers, and that includes Ted K or DB Cooper being the Zodiac. It is unfortunate that this **** is being dragged around over and over again for obvious reasons.

mickey2942 and Really? like this.
  4. Falcon500

Falcon500 Verified Law Enforcement Detective/L.E. Procedures

I’ll say it again. The strongest indicator that Wayne Williams was the sole offender in the Atlanta child murders is that the murders stopped the night that he was arrested. No more bodies of black boys in the water, no more boys abducted off the street, the end.

wary, mickey2942 and SAMS like this.
  5. Namlok04

Namlok04 Member

@Falcon500 - I wish I could believe it was a sole offender situation, but I think too much evidence points towards multiple. I'm not saying it's all a single group or gang perpetuating the crimes, but I certainly think a pedophile ring or other single sex offenders in the area could've done others. I believe it's wrong for any of us to definitively say W.W. did it for all the murders, especially in the face of so many closed cases- all without being investigated any further. You could attribute the murders stopping to multiple things, the other killer(s) saw one man go down for all & decided that it's a good time to stop before they were caught (or they simply left the area), they changed their MO, which is something W.W. did (in terms of presumably going from children victims to young adult victims). Or- they just got better at concealment, hiding their crimes or victims better. To me- and I'm sure to many other victim's families - these cases aren't solved yet.

Kell1 and Luckyzmom like this.
  6. BraveMom

BraveMom Member

New DNA was obtained according to this report. I hope all of the murders can be solved. I don't think Wayne williams killed all of the victims but I'd like to know for sure.
    Atlanta child murders: Investigators extract DNA tied to 2 cases as part of a re-investigation of the decades-old cases - CNN

7. Quiet Time

Quiet Time Well-Known Member

dotr likes this.
  8. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

July 19 2021 rbbm.
    DNA Extracted In The Decades-Old Atlanta Child Murders Case
    ''ATLANTA, Ga. (CW69 News at 10/CNN) – As part of Atlanta’s probe into dozens of unsolved Atlanta child murders from 1970s and 1980s, investigators were able to extract DNA from two cases for additional analysis, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said Friday.

Authorities in March 2019 reopened the investigation into a series of child murders to re-examine the evidence in the hopes that technological breakthroughs might point to a definite killer in the cases, most of which were never solved.''
    “Part of my asking that this be reopened was in light of where we are with DNA testing some 40 years later. What, if anything, more could we take a look at to make sure that we have examined everything possible to make sure that the person or people responsible are being held accountable,” Bottoms said in her announcement of the DNA findings.

Fiber evidence was re-analyzed in all 30 of the cases, and investigators also extended the timeline from 1970 to 1985 to ensure any additional children or victims are not overlooked, the mayor said.

At least two dozen of the 30 cases were children between the ages of 7 and 17, most of whom were Black victims.''

Kell1 likes this.
  9. Kell1

Kell1 Verified law enforcement

That entire case, was a nightmare from all sides.

You have a high crime area with a history of distrust in police and in this case, rightfully so, you have multiple offenders, 1 or 2 of which are prying on children of all things, which is a touchy area to begin with, in a racially charged area , You have the APD vs the FBI, you have the people of Atlanta vs both , you have people scared.

The Klan link wasnt as baseless as some claim, as if I recall it was revealed that some of the police officers in the APD were actually members of the KKK or the even more radical and violent NSRP, if you want to see a time bomb situation, and wonder where the distrust in the APD came from at the time , imagine that scenario.

What type of message does that send? what do you think people would think? you expect anyone to trust the police when something like that is coming to light ?

Who would even come forward if they could ?

The FBI stated early they felt they were dealing with multiple offenders, Douglas would never explain his statement further in public , however once Williams , who almost certainly committed some of the murders, was arrested the state made him the prime suspect for all, and oddly the murders stopped.

You have to wonder why that was , why pin everything on a single offender when there was evidence there was possibly more than one ? , why not delve into it further, why seal it up and file it all on Wayne Bertram Williams, who almost certainly did commit some of the crimes but how do you not look at other evidence? how do you look away when theres a chance a person killing children is still on the loose?

Who would benefit from having caught a killer when a spree of killings was going on ?, why was Williams arrest the perfect time to stop ?

Serial Killers don't stop because someone else took the rap, they move on and keep going.

SO why not look for other suspects ?

Because the truth probably isn't pretty

savagewoman, SAMS, jennyjenny and 2 others like this.
  10. ct71

ct71 New Member

I always found it suspect that WW was said to be the Atlanta "child' murderer but was NEVER convicted of killing any children!! I read a book once about it. Called 'The List.' Can't find that book anywhere now but it did dispute a lot of the evidence that he was convicted on.

savagewoman likes this.
  11. Proud Country Gal

Proud Country Gal Not all who wander are lost...

Are talking about this book? The List by Chet Dettlinger, Jeff Prugh

mickey2942 likes this.
  12. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Just throwing this out there, I would guess that some of the missing or dead children were killed by caregivers, who were more than likely happy to lay the blame on Williams.

SAMS likes this.