Geminid meteor shower to peak this weekend

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Dark Knight, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

LOS ANGELES – The year's best meteor shower is coming to North America.

Weather permitting, the peak time to view the Geminid (jem-uh-nid) meteor show will be around midnight Sunday Eastern time when up to 140 meteors per hour could streak across the sky.

Though not as famous as the Perseid meteor shower, the Geminids often put on a more dramatic display.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091208/ap_on_sc/us_sci_meteor_shower

2. Loading...

3. January.

January. New Member

Fantastic! I've been waiting to catch a meteor shower. I usually only find out about them after they've already peaked or they're at 4 in the morning. I will be sure to check this one out if there are no clouds!

4. PeteyGirl

PeteyGirl New Member

We've had this high pressure arctic thing freezing us to death here in the northwest, but it's been clear as a bell and I LOVE meteor showers!! Unfortunately, the weather is supposed to change in the next couple of days, back to overcast and rain (I HOPE rain) so I'll probably miss these like I missed the ones in November :(

5. White Rain

White Rain New Member

DK, I LOVE stuff like this, and thank you for always posting. My 'net is all screwed up though and I can't open that site.
    Can someone tell me when I can see it near Atlanta, GA? THNX!

6. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

The last 2 were disappointing, and it looks like it might be cloudy here, tonight, so we'll see. Hope it's a good show for those who can see it! :)

7. ScorpRising

ScorpRising To thine ownself be true

Really hoping for clear skies tonight. I think I can brave the cold weather for a good show!

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Yeah, tonight is also supposed to be a strong night, but we also have clouds here.

(I think the AP meant to say Midnight Monday, since tonight is supposed to be the peak, not last night. And Midnight would be Monday, not Sunday.)

9. ScorpRising

I'm hoping that's what they meant to say. I'm also hoping the clouds from this morning's messy storm pass soon... It's not looking good :( I haven't seen a good meteor shower on a clear night in PA in quite a while...

10. nephers

nephers New Member

I'm in Scranton. I just checked the radar and it looks like the rain will have passed by then but not sure about the clouds. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! The last good meteor shower I remember seeing was three years ago:-(

11. ScorpRising

I'm a little over an hour south of Scranton on 81 so hopefully we'll both have clear skies tonight!

12. Celt1997

Celt1997 New Member

How did everyone fair in PA?

I'm in North Montgomery County and we had partly cloudy skies. I had a good 2-3 hours leading up to midnight to catch a lot of the "pre-show" meteors. Then we'd get a wave of clouds every 15 minutes, or so. In between those cloud banks, though, I caught quite a few Geminds between midnight and 1:00 a.m.

Would have liked to check out things around 2am, but I had a long weekend and ended up going to bed. Not the best shower I've seen, but I did catch some nice meteors.

13. ScorpRising

Glad you got to see some, Celt! Based on the cloud cover at 10PM, I went to bed and didn't even give it a second thought. I'm hoping maybe I can catch some tonight if these skies clear up. I'll probably even be willing to try again tomorrow night!

14. nephers

nephers New Member

It was still cloudy here. Could barely see an airplane let alone a star :-( I'll try again tonight.

15. January.

January. New Member

Still really cloudy here in Eastern-ish PA. No meteor watching tonight :(

16. ScorpRising

Bah! I was really hoping it would clear up :(

17. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Cloudy here, too. Did anyone see a good meteor storm?