George Anthony's testimonies

Discussion in 'Witness Testimonies and Closing Arguments' started by Kimster, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

2. Loading...

3. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

5/26/2011:

4. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

5/27/2011

First parts.

REMEMBER: You can click on the arrow next to wenwe4's name and go directly to where this information is being discussed on the trial thread!

5. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

5/27/11 - second part

6. mombomb

mombomb New Member

10:53

DIRECT EXAMINATION BY JB

Crystal Hollaway? I know her by River Cruiz. She came to the command center in October of 2008. He knows her as someone who volunteered and maybe as a friend and someone who was going to help them find Caylee.

She was just a friend, no different than any other volunteer.

He did not have a romantic relationship with her. To him that is very funny and he was never intimate with her. He never borrowed any money from her.

He went to her house on 2 or 3 occasions.

You know you have to pass a guard gate?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

She has a condo, not an apartment. When you go there, it's gated - you have to show ID.

The first time he went there was based on a conversation in which she related to him that she has a brain tumor and was dying and she needed someone to comfort her. He felt that being a good guy that, because she was helping them, it was the least he could do would be to show her compassion or respect. It was always doing the day.

Were you supposed to be working when you went to see her?

OBJECTION - JA - may we approach?

SIDEBAR #4 (10:57-10:58)

OBJECTION OVERRULED

Were you supposed to be at work? He didn't have an exact work schedule - just started new job - his employer was very lenient.

You weren't going there for any romantic interlude?

OBJECTION - asked and answered - OVERRULED

He went there just to console her.

She also explained the brain tumor to CA. CA did not go to her apartment, but CA knew he was going there.

Prior to finding Caylee, did you tell her Caylee's death was an accident?

To this day, he never found her. To say that I had said something to her that something snowballed out of control? That did not happen. He would never confide to a volunteer. He has always given info to LE and attorneys as honestly and freely as he could.

You never told CH that this was an accident that snowballed?

OBJECTION - asked and answered - SUSTAINED

Your answer was no?

OBJECTION - asked and answered -

So the record is clear. Yes or No.

He never told her this was an accident that snowballed out of control.

Did you ever send her a text message that you needed her in your life?

He did send many texts to volunteered and he agreed he did send her this text.

Did you ever leave her any letters that you were trying to speak with her?

It is possible he left her a letter in an effort to cheer her up and make her feel comfortable in her life with what was going on.

Did you at any time tell her not to say anything about her affair with you?

OBJECTION - assumes facts not in evidence - OVERRULED

Sir, I never had a romantic affair with CH or RC. She has a questionable past and she also has been arrested for fraud and breaking and entering.

OBJECTION BY JB - move to strike

I did not have an affair with her, so the answer is NO.

Are you aware she never said anything about the affair until the police came to her?

OBJECTION - assumes facts - SUSTAINED

How many times did you talk to her on the phone between Oct and Jan? He did not know - once, twice, ten times.

He did not believe he spoke to her late at night. He did not believe he would.

CROSS EXAM BY JA

When was it that you knew this lady? He met her at the command center at the skating rink some time around mid October 2008.

After Caylee's remains were found, your relationship ended? Yes, it did.

Did you ever tell River Cruiz that while your daughter was home on bond that you grab your daughter, threw her up against the wall and said, I know you did something to Caylee...... No, I did not.

Witness excused subject to recall. (11:06)

7. wenwe4

wenwe4 Active Member

HHBP instructs jury that the last question of threat of felony prosecution will be withdrawn and his answer of 5th amendment....witness excused

JB calls GA....
    Do you know Crystal Holloway...know her by another name also - River Cruz...she came to our command center, volunteered @ command center, and helping find our granddaughter...she was absolutely just a volunteer...no different than other volunteers...were you ever romantically involved with her? no sir that is funny,...were you intimate with her ...no sir - also funny...did you borrow money from her...no.....went to her apartment 2 or 3 times with a guard @ gate.....she lives in condo....security entrance gated community...weeks or few days before .....she has a brain tumor - she was dying ...be being a good guy I became connected to her - I visited her during daytime hours never @ night - give her some compassion...were you supposed to be working when you went to visit her during the day? Object - approach

8. wenwe4

wenwe4 Active Member

HHBP - objection overrule-
    JB -when you visited her were you supposed to be @ work.
    GA - my hours were flexible for employer - just put in the hours
    JB-just visit her for brain tumor? GA - yes she explained that to my wife...only person went to her apartment was you not your wife? my wife knew where I was....did you ever tell RC or KH that Caylee death was an accident that snowballed out of control.....that is false....I never confided to any volunteers - I gave information to LE, DT or SA gave that info freely..
    Never told RC accident snowballed out of control (object- asked & answered sustain X3)
    so record clear is the answer yes or No Mr. Anthony?

GA ask one more time? JB never told her an accident snowballed out of control...ever sent her text messages that you needed her in your life....I sent many texts to many volunteers that I needed them in my life....did you ever leave her letters?

GA on one occassion I left a letter - cheer her up, make her comfortable, yes I did - don't see anything wrong with that....

JB - just a moment - talks to dS who shakes head no...

JB back @ podium...did you @ any time ever tell her not to say anything about your affair? object-overrule
    GA I never had a romantic relationship with Krystal Holloway....she has been arrested for fraud, questionable past....objection

I did not have an affair with her so the answer is no.....JB - didn't say anything to LE about your affair with her until....object

how many times talk to RC ....dont know how many times once, twice, don't remember....ever speak to her @ night? don't remember don't know could have but I dont believe so....no

JB - no further questions

CRoss-exam

JA- when was it when you knew this lady...
    GA -met her @ command center mid Oct 2008 near skate rink...
    after Caylee's remains found your friendship ended...yes
    ever tell RC that when KC was home you grabbed her by throat, threw her up against wall and said "I know you did something to Caylee - where is Caylee?"
    GA no never did that to my daughter

witness stand down

DT calls CA

9. truthsleuth

truthsleuth New Member

Defense calls George Anthony.

JB: Mr. A do you know a woman by the name of Crystal Holliway?
    I know her y that name and another name.
    What name?
    River Cruz.
    GA:She came to our command center on to help in the search for our granddaughter. She was a friend or someone who would help find our granddaughter. She worked at the command center.
    JB: Was she just another volunteer?
    GA: Of course, she was just another volunteer.
    JB: Did you have a romantic relationship with her?
    GA: No sir. that's very funny.
    JB: Were you intimate with her?
    GA: No sir, that's also very funny.
    JB: Did you ever borrow money from her?
    GA: No.
    JB: Did you ever go to her home?
    GA: On two or three occasions and i can explain that.
    JB: Did you have to go through a guard gate?
    Yes, and I can explain that too.
    JB: Why did you go to her apartment?
    GA: She doesn't have an apartment, she has a condominium. We had a conversation because she related to me that she had lost someone ?? who died and she needed someone to comfort her. And because she helped me and my family, I felt I could give back to her.
    JB: Were you supposed to be working when you visited her during the day?

Commercial ...

10. truthsleuth

truthsleuth New Member

JB: you sent her a text message?
    Yes sir.
    JB: Did you ever leave her any other letter to let her know you tried to speak with her?
    I don't remember the contents but I tried to cheer her up and help her go through her circumstances.
    JB: Did you ever tell her not to have her affair with her?
    I never had a romantic aware with Crystal Holliway or River Cruz. She's been arrested for breaking and entering etc.
    Did you ever tell her not to have speak about your affair with her?

I'm going to say it again. I never had an affair with her, so the answer is no.
    How many times did you speak with her on the phone?
    I don't rememer. Maybe once, maybe twice.
    Did you speak to her late at night?
    Not that I can remember. I don't believe I would.
    Objection.

Cross

JA: When did you know of his lady?
    Third week of October 2008.
    JA: After Caylee was found, your friendship with her ended?
    Yes it did
    JA: Did you ever tell RC when your daughter was home on bond, you grabbed her by the throat, threw her up against the wall, and said, "Where's Caylee? "

11. mombomb

mombomb New Member

6/29/11

9:02

Jury coming in (9:03)

DIRECT EXAMINATION OF CINDY ANTHONY BY JB

Do you remember an issue several years back involving an incident of LA going into ICA's room at night?

OBJECTION BY LDB - relevance - OVERRULED

No.

Were you every aware of such an issue?

OBJECTION BY LDB - hearsay - SUSTAINED

DId you ever have to deal with such an issue?

OBJECTION BY LDB- may we approach?

SiIDEBAR # 1 (9:04-9:09)

OBJECTION SUSTAINED

Do you recall testifying 6 months ago that you believed Caylee was still alive?

Yes.

Were you testifying truthfully? Yes, there was still a part of me that still believed she was alive.

The Memorial service was in February of 2009 and she requested Caylee's remains be cremated.

And 2 years later you still held the belief that Caylee was still alive even after that?

OBJECTION - relevance -- SUSTAINED

Was your ability to block that out faith?

OBJECTION -relevance - SUSTAINED

Compartmentalize?

OBJECTION - relevance - SUSTAINED

On 8/14/08 you visited ICA in jail? Possibly.

You reviewed a video tape in which she told her that GA blew up at the media?

Yes. She told her daughter that.

This was in response to a question that the media had asked his opinion that Caylee had died by an accident?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Related to an accident?

OBJECTION - relevancy - SUSTAINED

Why did you tell your daughter about your husband blowing up?

You expressed that this was a new theory? Yes.

You said the new theory is that Caylee drowned inthe pool?

It wasn't a new theory, it was the media's statement.

A month early on July 16 you had told YM about that? On July 16 she told him the pool ladder was attached to the pool.

OBJECTION - leading and relevance - SUSTAINED as to leading

Did you tell the police numerous times about your theory?

OBJECTION - releance - SUSTAINED

I said it wsa the latest story from the media. It wasn't the first time we had discussed it to LE.

ICA even said that, after you had mentioned GA had just blown up at the media - that she had heard? She said she was aware - that she had heard her father had just blown up at the media. She did not know if that was true or not. She could have heard that from someone in the jail. She is aware there are no TV's in the jail.

There were numerous occasions you had made LE aware of the ladder? Yes.

You were aware that the info was being released to the media?

CROSS EXAM BY LDB:

You recalled her daughter's response was "surprise, surprise"? That was related to the media's theory?

OBJECTION - strike last question - OVERRULED

When you went into the jail that day, you were upset as well, because the media was suggesting that Caylee was deceased? Yes, they were asking how they felt about Caylee drowning in their pool because at that time she believed she was alive.

No further questions.

Witness excused at 9:19

12. mombomb

mombomb New Member

9:19

DIRECT EXAMINATION OF GA BY JB

Regarding your statement of your law enforcement experience, do you recall saying you chased bad guys into the woods?

OBJECTION BY JA - reading from something not in evidence - SUSTAINED

He did not recall the statement being discussed. He was shown the statement and asked to see the question prior to that. He now recalls making that statement.

How did you know your granddaughter would be found in the woods 6 months later?

OBJECTION BY JA - OVERRULED

GA: You are asking about my law enforcement experience and that is being taken out of context.

JB: Your statement was about smelling human decomp in the woods?

OBJECTION BY JA - not impeachment - Approach and bring the statement.

SIDEBAR #2 (9:23-9:29

Did you tell the police you smelled human decomp in the woods before? Yes, I had experience in Ohio. He also told them he smelled decomp in a house and in a car before.

Regarding the woods, the wooded area off of Suburban Drive while Caylee was missing, he walked the perimiter because JA (John Allen) brought a stuffed animal and said he retrieved it at the end of the street and that was when GA went for a walk.

Were you not spotted in another wooded area?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Were you not in another wooded area?

OBJECTION -

In October of 2008 - wooded area?

OBJECTION - vague - OVERRULED

He was looking for a site for their Kid Finder tent and he was at a wooded area off of Hoffner and Lee Vista.

On 7/15/08 - when LE first came - you pulled YM aside and told him the car smelled? GA - That was done on the 16th. He talked to him about so many things at that time.

You were hysterical and upset the night the police were called? Yes I was.

After YM brought ICA back, he did not pull him aside. Did you go to his car and tell him that something that had happened to Caylee and ICA was lying?
    He said that because ICA was the last one to see her.

On 7/24 he told LE that he had smelled the car and had smelled decomp.

He may have said that ICA lives on the edge.

OBJECTION -

On 7/24 - ICA takes the lies as far as she can take them?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

On 7/24 do you recall saying that ICA lives on the edge and takes the lies as far as she can take them?

OBJECTION - rule of completeness - YOU CAN DO IT ON CROSS - May we approach?

When asked the reason your daughter doesn't want to tell us ..... My daughter ives on the edge, all the lies and contradictions, my daugther takes things as far as she can take them? He said if it is written, he said it.

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

Do you recall saying nothing but negative things about your daughter? Apparently - I was trying to give LE all the info we had.

He went to see her in jail after that. He did not say those things to her because he was trying to keep her upbeat and to keep her as happy and as comfortable as possible. You were throwing her under the bus and...

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

He was cooperating with LE on one day to assist in finding Caylee and the next day he was trying to keep his daughter upbeat.

So you were under cover of sorts?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

He was aware she wanted to be bonded out.

She couldn't get bonded out because you wouldn't put the house up?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Grand jury testimony?

OBJECTION - APPROACH - SUSTAINED

SIDEBAR #3(9:41-9:44)

He told LE he was 100% certain he smelled human decomp in the trunk of his daughter's car.

8/5/09 depo - Do you recall being asked...

OBJECTION - page and Line?

Page 20

Depo answer - Not human decomp.

OBJECTION - rule of completeness - GO AHEAD

JB read GA's depo answer.

OBJECTION - rule of completeness - READ ENTIRE CONTEXT

JA - counsel needs to read through page 22.

JB - I would request that I be able to conduct my examination.

HHJBP - Rule 1.8.1 requires you read it.

JB - continues reading depo answer related to conversation with tow yard guy about the smell of decomp.

JA makes JB keep reading from depo regarding the garbage bag in the trunk.

Do you recall testifying in your depo that you did not believe that the smell in the car was human decomp? He feels his answer speaks for itself. He could smell the smell from 3 feet away. When he opened the car, it smelled like human decomposition. It was not the garbage.

On 7/24 it was human decomp and on 8/9 - it was the trash? He stated he did not say it was the trash. There WAS trash in the trunk with maggots. He has tried to be completely honest about what he saw and observed. His daughter and granddaughter were not in the trunk of the car.

There is a difference between trash and garbage.

He said decomposition. JB is trying to take the joy of his life away from him! The smell on 7/15 smelled like human decomp and his knowledge of law enforcement gives him that opportunity to know what it is.

That is why you called 911 then? I didn't call 911. That's why you drove the car home?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

And then you went to work?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

And then you went to work? After he knew his daugther and granddaugher were not in the trunk, he took the car home. He was concerned. He did go to work.

He is not ashamed of what he did that day.

OBJECTION BY JB - nonresponsive - OVERRULED

You were on a media blitz?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

On 8/09 did you advocate the innocence of your daughter? He did not want to believe his daughter could do this.

OBJECTION - nonresponsive - next question

You attempted to commit suicide? Yes sir I did.

You even left a note? Yes sir I did.

You expressed guilt?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

You expressed guilt?

OBJECTION - Question withdrawn - SUSTAINED

He was hospitalized. He is not sure what he did shortly thereafter. Media blitzes to advocate daughter's innocence? He can't recall what he said.

Do you recall being on 48 Hours and being paid $20,000 for that appearance? GA saying he has been nice to JB and tried to answer all questions and for what he and his wife might have retained from a news organization to bring notice to missing children - they did it for self-preservation - not only for Caylee..

OBJECTION BY JB - non-responsive - OVERRULED

What was the focus of the interview?

Appearances on the Early Show? Possibly.

All media interviews stopped when the allegations of abuse started? I believe that was through you. Do you recall finding out another way?

OBJECTION - relevance may we approach - you may

SIDEBAR# 4 (10:01-10:05

15 minute recess to 10:20

13. mombomb

mombomb New Member

JB had a stipulation but it was being printed and he needed a minute

14. mombomb

mombomb New Member

Part 2

Jury coming back (10:27)

DIRECT EXAMINATION BY JB - continued

Do you recall questions by JA about molestation on the first day of trial? He would never do anything like that to his daughter.

You know sex with a child under the age of 12 is life in prison?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

You are aware of the penalties?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

You would never admit to it?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

I would never do anything like that to my daughter.

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Gas cans - He was shown a gas can and agreed it was his. This can was missing on 6/24 and he called the police. He reported it as stolen, along with another can. He knew his daughter had used them before.

You could see the gas streaks on the side of her car?

OBJECTION - asked and answered previously - OVERRULED

He knew his daughter had used them before.

Did the can have duct tape on it when you gave it to LE the first time?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

On 8/1/08 did the can have duct tape on it when you gave it to LE? Possibly, he doesn't remember. They came and took it from the shed.

This was after the argument with his daughter about the gas cans. There was no one there other than he and ICA and God.

The dog, anyone else you want to throw in there?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED - I'll withdraw the question

Okay, did you say...

OBJECTION - Page and Line -

208, lines 9-12 - He was read the answer that he said there was no duct tape on it when LE took the can. If that is what he said - then yes.

He was shown a photo.

He was asked if he put the tape on and then took it off and put it back on?

OBJECTION - Page and Line

HHJBP - Please reposition the gas can as the Jury can't see Mr. A.

From depo - is it your recollection that the piece of duct tape was not on the can? His answer was Yes. He agrees that was what he said.

Did the gas can have duct tape on it on 8/1/08 - if he was looking at the photo, then yes it did. However, the gas can was taken again 10 days later.

The gas can he has on the witness stand is the only one that has been talked about. He believes there is also another photo of the can.

He was shown a certified copy of his deposition and asked if he saw the Exhibits tab at the end. He said he did. JB referred him to tabs 1 and 10. He stated 1 and 10 were the photo he was just shown. Those are the only photos of gas cans.

Either the police planted the tape, or you lied?

OBJECTION - improper impeachment - SUSTAINED

Regarding argument with his daughter, the gas can did not have duct tape on it. When ICA returned the can to him, it did not have duct tape on it.

OBJECTION BY JB - narrative - OVERRULED

On the 24th when she gave him the gas cans, she put them down on the ground forcibly and said "here's my ******ing gas cans" the little white tab was missing from the gas can and he put the tape on it.

OBJECTION BY JB - narrative - Move to strike

SIDEBAR #5 (10:43-10:50)

When ICA gave you the gas can on 6/24/08 - according to you - the gas can did not have duct tape on it? That's correct. And you have also testified that when LE took it on 8/1/08, that it did not have duct tape on it? If I'm not mistaken, when it was retrieved from the shed, he did not touch it. Possibly, he had put something on it before.

OBJECTION BY JB - narrative - Question calls for yes or no.

Did you testify to that? No.

Did the court reporter get it wrong?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Do you recall reading....

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Did you testify it was not>

May I read the depo to him

OBJECTION - asked and answered - go ahead and read it

JB read his question and answer into record that it did not have any duct tape over the vent and when it came back it did and he did not put it on there. He now recalls giving that answer.

No further questions.

15. mombomb

mombomb New Member

Part 3

10:55

CROSS EXAMINATION BY JA

On 8/5/09 you still believed Caylee was still alive.

You and I sparred in that depo as you and JB have been today? Yes.

Today, you no longer believe...

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

In his July 24, 2008 statement he did not believe his daughter murdered his granddaughter.

He learned in December 2008 that the remains of his granddaughter had been found. This caused him a deep hurt inside, tears, the whole gamut of the whole emotional loss and seeing what his wife and son went through. Prior to that he held out hope that his granddaughter would be found alive.

GA EMOTIONALLY BREAKING DOWN - SOBBING - THIS IS HEART WRENCHING - ICA IS JUST STARING AT HIM.

On 1/22/09, you went and got a gun?

OBJECTION - beyond scope - OVERRULED

SIDEBAR #6 (11:00-11:02)

GA gets off stand and Attorney Lipman is there comforting him.

JURY OUT (11:02)

JB - counsel has no good faith basis for asking such a question when he knows there was no gun involved in the suicide.

JA - it is my understanding that he got the gun to force people who knew something about who killed Caylee to tell and then to take his own life. The defense has brought up the suicide. I intend to offer the suicide note. It shows that on 1/22/09 he had no idea who killed Caylee. It rebuts implications by defense that he did and it is proof. I have case law to support this.

HHJBP: Let me see the suicide note and the case law that supports your position.

JA: I will be offering the suicide note in my CIC. The case law are Nelson vs. Seaboard Railroad and Garza vs. Delta Tau Delta Fraternity National.

JA: The gun incident IS prior to the suicide - so I will correct that with the witness. It is mentioned in the suicide note.

JB: I would request that the question be stricken and the Jury instructed.

JA: That's fine - I'll just ask the question a different way.

HHJBP: I've reviewed State's Exhibit MA, the suicide letter and the cases presented by the State. JB - would you like a proffer of GA's testimony?

JA: I'm not sure what the Court's ruling is.

HHJBP: Are you objecting?

JB: The suicide note is hearsay.

JA: It shows the then existing emotional state under the state of mind exception; that it can establish that at 1/22/09 it is significant that nothing in the note contains any statement of guilt or admission to doing anything to his daughter or granddaughter. The entire note is relevant because it does NOT contain anything about the particular offenses that the defense has accused him of. On a separate note, on page 3 - there is a specific issue raised that GA knew what happened to his daughter, and how it happened in June 2008. The note shows he did not - directly rebutting the implication by the Defense.

JB: It appears that JA is creating a self-serving exception to the hearsay rule?

HHJBP: JB - you asked GA - did he attempt to commit suicide?

JB: Yes, Sir.

HHJBP: Did the state object?

JA: No, sir.

HHJBP: Why did you ask that question?

JB: It's a fact in this case. He did attempt - however genuine attempt it was - only he can say. Whether this gives him a free pass to write I'm innocent because I drank a 6 pack and blood pressure pills.

HHJBP: Could it be that GA was so guilt ridden that he had molested his wife and felt that LE was closing in on him? Is that something that could be inferred or deduced from the evidence? Generally, a witnesses state of mind is not an issue. It looks as though the Defense has made GA's state of mind an issue.

JB: I would ad to that of course the prosecutor did not object.

HHJBP: No he did not

JA: I did not. I was perfectly happy.

HHJBP: Someone opened the door and JA is trying to walk through it.

JA: Even without that - the testimony about GA's knowledge of the smell of dead bodies - He even asked the question - didn't you express guilt in this letter.

HHJBP: Anything else JB? Are you offering this now or later on?

JA: I don't think it would be appropriate to offer it in the Defense case, but I was planning on him identifying it and entering it in Rebuttal. However, I do plan on asking him about his thoughts and feelings.

HHJBP: I think the door has been opened, but I want some time to contemplate and read a few more cases in this area - but it is fair game on cross examination to cross GA concerning the suicide which was brought up under direct by the defense. Okay, 5 minutes?

Five minute break to 11:30.

16. mombomb

mombomb New Member

Part 4

11:33

PROFFER BY JA

Why did you obtain the fire arm? Two reasons - I wanted to go get answers that I believed I could get from individuals that I felt in my mind were responsible for Caylee.

JA: You were going to force them at gun point to tell you?

GA: When he picked up the gun, the 2nd or 3rd of September, the Sheriff's department came to the house, and because ICA was there, told him that they had found out he had purchased the gun and it was in violation of having a gun and alcohol with someone who was incarcerated. It was taken from him

On 1/22/09 were you going to take your life? Yes, and I still have those feelings.

Did you write a note? Yes. He was shown the note and identified it. He agreed it was a true and accurate statement of his thoughts and feelings as of that date.

Have you also sent text messages to friends, lawyer? He knows he sent them and that he called his sisters, mother and father to tell them good by. Told them not to worry (GA breaking down again) He needed at that time to go and be with Caylee because he felt he failed her.

Were you prevented of accomplishing your goal? Yes, if it weren't for LE, he would not be here today.

In that note, did you express some of the unanswered questions you had? I know I did, but I don't know exactly what I wrote. He wrote the note over many hours.

End of proffer.

HHJBP: Objections, JB?

JB: Much is beyond the scope of Direct, don't see the bearing of the gun.

JA: I believe counsel asked the witness about his knowledge of August to January. This is direct rebuttal.

JB: Counsel, please tell me what question you believe.

JA: I rely on the Court.

JB: I could cover the areas - decomp, his behavior with LE at first, behavior on jail video, financial interest, media appearances, abuse and knowledge of duct tape and gas cans.

JA: Questions were not limited to date and scope.

HHJBP: The subject of cross deals with the issue of GA's attempt to commit suicide. The issue of suicide was brought out in the Defense's cross(?) of GA. Those questions are a logical progression in that the gun had a relationship. So the Court will permit this ine of questioning. As I said before, you can mark and have him identify the note. As you know, until it comes into evidence, you can't question him about the contents.

Jury being returned (11:42)

CROSS EXAMINATION OF GA BY JA - continued

Did you purchase a gun in August of 2008?

Yes I did.

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

What was your purpose in purchasing the gun? He wanted answers from people who he thought knew what happened to Caylee.

Before he had a chance to do that, LE found out and came and took the gun away because ICA was home on bond.

On 1/22/09, 6 weeks after remains were found, did you travel to a hotel in Daytona Beach to take your own life? Yes, sir.

Why? He doesn't know why that day. His emotional state, even through today, is very hard to accept he does not have a granddaughter anymore. That day felt like the right time to go be with Caylee.

Did you call relatives?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

He wanted to talk to his parents, his sisters, his son, his wife - to say goodbye for the last time. He did not recall the conversations. He was supposed to be going to a meeting.

Did you write a letter then? Yes. He was drinking alcohol and taking pills. He wrote the letter to his wife to tell her how he felt and how he didn't want to be in this world anymore.

Did you include questions you had about what happened? He does not remember what he said in the letter. It had numerous pages. He probably repeated himself. He had to express what he was feeling.

You wanted CA to know why you would be dead when she found the letter? Yes, because I couldn't tell her face to face.

He was shown the letter - 8 pages. He recognized it as the letter he wrote to his wife and family as he prepared to take his life.

But for the intervention for LE, you would not be here today?

OBJECTION - relevance and asked and answered - SUSTAINED

JA: I didn't ask in front of the Jury.

That is correct, is it not? Yes.

No further questions.

REDIRECT BY JB

Do you need a break Mr. Anthony? No, I'm fine.

JA asked you about sparring with him at the depo? Yes.

And that sparring ...

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Do you recall JA reminding you of your oath? I'm sure he did.

This sparring was to try to pin your answers down on the gas cans?

OBJECTIONS - SUSTAINED

The questions had to do with the gas cans and duct tape? I know we talked about gas cans, duct tape, a lot of things.

The sparring related to the gas cans and duct tape? He guesses it was verbal sparring.

Would you classify my questions today about gas cans as sparring? Yes.

ICA was out on bond when he got the gun. When she came home, they met with a person from the Department of Correction regarding house arrest. The rules were explained. He was given a list of what could and couldn't be in the house. He knew that he couldn't have fire arms in the house and if one was found, she could go right back to jail. Within hours of them pulling up, they were there and they almost took ICA back to jail.

His emotional state when he purchased the gun...

OBJECTION - unresponsive - Listen carefully GA

He did not buy a gun before his daughter got out on bond.

Attempted suicide - you bought a 6 pack of beer? I don't know how much alcohol I purchased. It was beer. The pills were blood pressure pills? I had just gotten them a week before.

So you were drinking beer and blood pressure medication? Whatever it was, I took a large amount of medication along with drinking beer. He doesn't know what was recovered.

All of this was subsequent to 2 search warrants? 12/11/08? He wasn't there.

LE went through a lot of his things? They completely went through the house. They went through YOUR things? Everything in that house was associated with me. Yes, they went through my car.

You know the car was not in the search warrant?

OBJECTION - relevance - OVERRULED

You know your car was not listed and they went through it anyway? Yes.

They went through a lot of your personal things? I wasn't there.

They got the gas can on that day? I don't know.

You were given a property list? He wasn't there when the warrant was served and he can't recall the 70 or so items taken.

As ex LE he knows the warrant should be left at the home.

They took the duct tape on the gas can? He doesn't know.

When you came back from doing the Larry King show on 12/11, did you see that gas can ever again in your home? He did not come back to his home on that date. He doesn't remember when he came back. The house was in shambles. Things were flipped around.

OBJECTION BY JB - narrative - OVERRULED

Did you go to the Ritz Carlton? Yes.

Came back home before the second search warrant was executed? Yes sir. I was there. He doesn't remember if he saw the gas can on that day.

OBJECTION - items?- SUSTAINED

Lunch recess

17. mombomb

mombomb New Member

Part 4

1:57

Jury coming back (1:59)

REDIRECT EXAMINATION OF GA BY JB - continued

We left off where you had just gotten back to your home and on 12/20 there was a second search warrant. You got confrontational with the officers? Yes. You had to be removed? I was asked to step outside. You told Sgt Allen, page 79, Line 17 and 18 - take your f**ing.... minions and leave.

OBJECTION -

You told Sgt Allen...

They then confiscated additional items? Yes.

Next, the SAO issued a subpoena for your fingerprints?

OBJECTION - REPHRASE

I'm sure they did.

How many times have you had an investigative subpoena issued?

OBJECTION - relevancy SUSTAINED

That is not something you provided voluntarily? Your fingerprints? Yes.

This is also around when the video surfaced of DC and JH searching the woods? That's possible.

You had noticed the video and become aware. Did you ever ask DC why he searched the woods a month before Caylee was found?

OBJECTION

When the video surfaced, did you go to DC...

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

He did not know anything about the video until it was released.

He did not go ask DC what he was doing in the woods in November. He was told of the video in December, but he did not get that info from DC. He has never asked DC what he was doing in the woods.

After all the search warrants and subpoenaes, did you feel the law was closing in on you?

OBJECTION - assumes facts - OVERRULED

OBJECTION - assumes facts - rephrase

Was the pressure getting to you?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Was the pressure getting to you

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

He has always tried to give al info and cooperate.

All this cooperation ended on 12/20 when he asked the OCSO to leave? The loss of my granddaughter was - to lose their granddaughter and the potential to lose their daughter...

All your cooperation ended on 12/20? I was upset that day.

He stated he has always cooperated.

On the day of his attempted suicide, you were calling everybody to let them know you were going to commit suicide?

OBJECTION - leading - SUSTAINED

You even called me? I don't know.

You called to let people know you were going to do it.

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

After the alleged attempt, you immediately left the hospital to go to Putnam County to be on TV? Did you not go and have several media appearances? Not from leaving the hospital - no sir.

He stated it was not an alleged attempt - he tried to take his life - it happened.

He did not know when he was on Fox after that?

RECROSS EXAM BY JA:

You traveled to California to be on Larry King?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

The purpose was to talk about the disappearance of his granddaughter and how it affected their lives. They learned the remains had been found in the morning just prior to boarding their plane.

When they arrived back in town, they were taken to the Ritz Carlton. He did not arrange or request that. They were taken there to have a small window of privacy to be with his wife. On the plane they had a little bit of time. When they arrived, they couldn't get off the plane until everyone else did and there were numerous police officers. He couldn't say what their exact emotions were at that time. They talked to JB later that evening.

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

They had dinner with JB that evening

OBJECTION BY JB - MAY WE APPROACH?

SIDEBAR #7 (2:14-2:19)

He cooperated with law enforcement, Mr. Baez and anyone who he thought had the remotest chances of finding Caylee.

On 1/20 - this was the day after it was declared that the body in the woods was Caylee?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

The anger toward law enforcement on 12/20 was the day after the body had been I.D.'d.

RE-REDIRECT BY JB

Yes, they were taken from the airport to the Ritz Carlton. He did not know who took them to the Ritz. Was it GMA who paid?

OBJECTION - OVERRULED

He doesn't know who paid for it?

Did you have to do anything for that stay? No. Sir. He doesn't think he has been on GMA since then.

No further questions.

Witness is excused (2:23)

18. truthsleuth

truthsleuth New Member

GA on stand.

JB: Do you recall a statement you made in July 24 in reference to your LE experience saying "we caught people out in the woods in a car ..."?

Objection.
    Sustained.

GA: I'd like to know the question prior to that sir.

JB shows GA the question in the depo.

JB: Do you remember making that statement, sir?

Objection.
    Overruled.

JB: How did you know your granddaughter would be found in the woods six months later?

Objection.
    Overruled.

GA: You're asking about my LE experience. Nothing about my granddaughter Caylee. You're taking that out of context, sir. That's asking about my LE experience and my recognizing the smell of decomposition. That's out of context sir.

JB: Your statement was in relation to smelling decomposition in the woods?

SIDEBAR.

19. truthsleuth

truthsleuth New Member

JB: Mr. A. did you tell LE that you smelled human decomp in the woods before.
    Yes, up in Ohio.
    JB: Mr. A. did you tell LE that you smelled human decomp in a house before.
    Yes.
    JB: Mr. A. did you tell LE that you smelled human decomp in a car before.
    Yes.
    Now you had actually walked that area in the months before Caylee was found, did you not?
    I can explain that.
    And you were walking down that area.
    I walked in every street I could, specifically in my area.
    Were you also not spotted in another wooded area during that six months?
    (rephrases several times)
    In October we were finding another command center, and yes I was in (a certain location) near a wooded area.
    __

July 15, 2008 you pulled Det. Melich aside and said the car smelled?
    Not the 15th of July.
    The 16th of July...?
    I was hysterical, I was upset, I demanded answers.
    You were hysterical and upset?
    Yes, I most certainly was.
    After Det. Melich spoke with Casey, did you tell him something happened to Caylee and you insisted Casey was lying?
    GA: One and one adds up to two sir, I knew my granddaughter was missing. I was told someone forcibly took Caylee from my daughter. I was running on pure emotion. Was I upset and falling apart at the moment?

You told LE that you had smelled that car and smelled human decomp.
    I was 100% positive.
    Did you also tell them that Casey lived on the edge?
    I'm not sure, but quite possibly yes, my daughter did live on the edge.

Argument over phrasing of question from depo.
    SIDEBAR.

20. truthsleuth

truthsleuth New Member

Back from commercial

GA: I was not undercover sir, I was a father concerned for his daughter and and also for my granddaughter.
    And you were aware your daughter wanted to be bonded out? Weren't you not?
    Yes.
    And the reason she was not bonded out is you wouldn't want to put up the house as collateral?

Objection
    SUSTAINED.

In 2008 you testified against your daughter to the grand jury, did you not?

SIDEBAR.

21. truthsleuth

truthsleuth New Member

JB: So you testified in your depo that the car contained decomposition?
    That answer speaks for itself. I could smell decomposition from 3 feet away. When you relive stuff over and over you try to give the most complete answer you can. Was it decomposition to me? Yes. Was it my daughter or granddaughter? No.
    And you testified it was human compositon?
    It was maggots and stuff like that in the bag in the back of that car. I have been honest about what I saw and hear and went through that day. Neither my daughter or granddaughter were in that car and I'm grateful for that.
    And your depo for that day say it was the trash, did it not?
    You're trying to take this story of my life away from me and you can't do that sir. The smell in the back of that car was decomposition sir. My experience of 10 years in LE

And then you went to work sir, did you not? After smelling this smell...
    After I knew if wasn't my daughter or granddaughter, I left and went home. Did I go to work, yes. I also told Le many times about what I can remember and experienced on that day. I am not ashamed of what I did on that day.
    ---
    When you made this statement in your deposition you were in a media blitz, were you not? Didn't you advocate the innocence of your daughter when you made this blitz?
    Possibly I did. I don't want to believe back then that my daughter was capable of taking the life of her daughter.
    JB complains to judge about answer.

In Jan 2009, you attempted to commit suicide. Did you?
    Yes sir I did.
    And you left a suicide note.
    Yes sir, I did.

JB: Were you hospitalized after. And within a week again making media appearances?
    Yes, possibly I did.
    And you were making them to advocate the innocence of your daughter?
    Yes.
    And do you remember making $20,000 on 48 Hours?
    I have tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability. It had nothing to do with guilt or innocence. we did that for self-preservation. I did everything I could to bring awareness of what my granddaughter meant to me, my wife, and my son.
    Was that the focus of the interview?
    -----
    While you were advocating for your daughter's innocence, did you make any appearances on the early shows?
    Maybe I did but we always wanted to bring attention to my granddaughter.
    And all of these interviews stopped when allegations of abuse came around.
    I believe that was through you, sir.
    Do you remember finding out another way?

SIDEBAR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.