George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 2

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sillybilly, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

yes this report and testimony will make sense to her and I think she will have some strong opinions...I don't know how far the March intervention at HCMC went...I mean he was there for 5 days per Courteney testimony but have to think some sort of angioplasty or procedure may have been suggested at that time. With that situation together with drugs on board clearly everything that happened had a more significant impact on GF than a more healthy individual. I think at the end of the day cause of death was a combination of things and frankly I would not want to have to make decisions based on that. BAsed on what I saw on video and absent any medical testimony (not possible I know) my vote is for min. 3rd and I might go for 2nd.
    Thomas Lane BCA interview in George Floyd death

here you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2021
    shotgun09 likes this.

2. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

Slightly OT... are you a coder? I was a coder in a former life ;) Interestingly enough, I was looking up ICD codes for cardiopulmonary arrest the other night.

3. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

No, I worked in a hospital for years, and learned quite a bit about the difference in care between being admitted for ER treatment and other care. Especially if the person admitted did not have insurance or a primary care provider.

misgrn, Gibbo214, GarAndTeed and 6 others like this.
  4. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

This is why his lung (s) were compromised

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2021
    ACE422, misgrn, Gibbo214 and 7 others like this.
  5. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

He looks uncomfortable to me. He's a city employee. Imo he minimized information on the autopsy that would cause another city employee to look bad.

I wonder how the autopsy would have read if the perpetrators were three civilians rather than three city employees.

6. missy1974

ahh thanks! Your reference to ICD made my ears go up ;)

7. Dogface

Dogface Well-Known Member

Did they describe what he had been doing that day? Had he in fact been playing basketball?

MsBetsy and CrimeAway like this.
  8. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

So if a person is admitted to the hospital for covid, or any other medical problem, they can't be tested for underlying conditions if they have Medicaid?

GarAndTeed and kittythehare like this.
  9. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

I guess maybe I’m confused about DC’s charges. They differ from Texas a bit. The way I’m reading it is that the jury would have to find that he did not play a significant role, or any role, in GF’s death in order to acquit him of all charges. Is that right? I don’t think there’s even a slight chance the jurors won’t all agree he did play a huge role. It seems like it comes down to DC’s state of mind during this as to what to find him guilty of. Intent, I suppose. Granted I haven’t watched every minute of the trial, but I’ve not heard much testimony that speaks to this. Even watching the videos isn’t enough for me.

10. kittythehare

11. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

That sure has not been my experience if they are admitted...just in ER only focused on chief complaint. But then I come in with good insurance so may well be different. I think it is a fair statement to say GF's interaction with medical professionals was limited to ER visits but could be more...we really don't know about entire medical history. His lifestyle was not helping him out.

12. MsBetsy

I don't think it has ever been mentioned what he had been doing that day. His girlfriend apparently had not seen him, since he had spent the night at a friend's house.

SouthAussie, kimpage, sds71 and 5 others like this.
  13. Dogface

Thanks! Trying to follow the trial with a 2 year old leaves me missing a lot so I wasn’t sure if it had been discussed! Appreciate it!

14. MsBetsy

Yes, he was admitted for five days so I was thinking it was more than just ER treatment. In any case, I think it was only the high blood pressure that was diagnosed. His family and girlfriend seemed surprised to learn that he had any kind of heart disease. The ME who completed the second autopsy said he wished he had the arteries Floyd had.

15. Dogface

Oh since you said to google them I thought they had been released.

Trying to understand how much of a contributing factor the drugs would be is a huge factor IMO to the case, because I’m looking at it as an interaction with a cop who has no knowledge of his medical history. Would a person with no drugs in their system have died under these circumstances is a question that’s important to me.

mom2chloe, MsBetsy, magnolia and 2 others like this.
  16. kittythehare

They would have according to the medical experts
    condensed here Medical witnesses clash with defense over George Floyd's death

Chauvin trial told ‘a healthy person would have died’ under same circumstances as George Floyd – as it happened

17. missy1974

BBM

Something I read in an article someone posted yesterday.. in the second autopsy, they didn't have a lot to work with. The arteries were already dissected (organs removed, etc.), so I'm not sure how that ME could even make that statement.

Also.. JMO, but I have read Baker's autopsy report, I wouldn't want his arteries.

18. MsBetsy

His girlfriend testified that both she and Floyd started using opioids after being prescribed narcotics for injuries. This was over a three year period so I would think his tolerance was pretty high. It depends on how much time passed between his last use and the time of his death. Imo

19. shotgun09

shotgun09 'Certified' Boomer

We might get some type of answer from Wanda...the woman in the backseat of the car by Cup Foods. I believe she is on the list of witnesses. 'Maurice' or Morrise ( Mr Hall) ..will not be a willing participant in answering that question..or so we have heard.

20. Dogface

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.