George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 3

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sillybilly, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

hmmm that's an interesting comparison, never really thought of it that way.

Cool Cats, NoSI, MadMcGoo and 3 others like this.
  2. missy1974

Okay... I have been googling and I can't find it ... so I'm going to ask all you smart people here...

If CPR and ventilation can increase oxygen levels... does it also decrease the carbon DIOXIDE levels if they are too high?

I highlighted the carbon dioxide, I don't want anyone to get confused with carbon monoxide :confused:

3. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Maybe the difference is that George's death was filmed and it is evident that criminal behaviour was involved.
    Police who did not carry out their duty of care. Police who negligently disregarded procedure. And police who are paid by the taxpayers.

I personally think that things will go okay for Lane, eventually.

4. Ruminations

Ruminations Eating ice cream.

Interesting point of view.

A Dr. who accidentally gives medication A instead of medication B, leading to a patient's death, could possibly loose a job, face civil liability, and/or to loose a license to practice. The Dr. could be bankrupted, but probably not criminally charged.

A Dr. who holds a knee on the patient's neck until after the patient is dead is likely to loose a job, loose a license, face civil liability, and face criminal charges.

An accident is an accident. Murder is murder.

The world just might be a better place if police, like Dr.'s, had to carry their own malpractice insurance. 1) statistics show that police are less likely to use excessive force in municipalities where there are consequences for the behavior. 2) I would hazard a guess that municipalities could possibly save $$$, even if they pay officers more to offset average malpractice insurance, to stop paying out for excessive force suits.

5. Mony Mony

Mony Mony Well-Known Member

I think a better analogy may be Doctor decides patient does not need chemo, would rather watch/monitor the tumor growth. Tumor metastasizes and patient dies much sooner than expected.

Or doctor thinks patient has a simple cold but he actually has a pulmonary embolism.

No doctor (that I know of) puts his knee on a patient’s neck. And no police officer (that I know of) can diagnose and treat.

6. RANCH

RANCH United we stand, divided we fall.

What I also would like to know about CPR and ventilation is if the patients O2 level was normal at the start of treatment how would someone know that fact if CPR raises low O2 levels to normal?

If the blood oxygen levels are already normal, CPR wouldn't change that reading much right?. Or am I missing something? JMO

7. Mony Mony

Mony Mony Well-Known Member

Your first example reminds me of the Kimberly Potts shooting, but many people are screaming for a criminal conviction.

8. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

She deserves to face criminal charges IMO.

Cool Cats, GarAndTeed, jjs and 5 others like this.
  9. missy1974

They actually have studies out there that show someone at 0% Oxygen at the start of CPR.. and what cpr can do... I haven't found any that got it back to 95% yet, but I wasn't really looking for it either.

Because of his level of carbon dioxide at the time too..... I'm just trying to understand more. Was hoping that someone here in the medical field might know ;)

10. RANCH

RANCH United we stand, divided we fall.

And remember GF's blood oxygen level was 98%.
    Testimony Ends Without Derek Chauvin Taking The Stand In His Trial

11. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Both the paramedic and the ER doctor testified that CPR was done on Floyd, and the amount of time. It was almost continuous from the time Floyd was in the ambulance and then for another 15 minutes while he was in the hospital.

At least one of the experts explained that brain damage can begin within four minutes of the brain not recieving oxygen, which is why it's so important to begin doing CPR Immediately.

The prosecution got Dr. Fowler to admit that CPR should have been started as soon as Floyd stopped breathing at around 8:25 pm.

12. MsBetsy

I think they are all being held liable because each officer had a duty of care. Floyd died while he was in their custody, due to their actions.

13. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I truly hope everyone stays safe! Including locals on this forum.

turaj, Cool Cats, MsBetsy and 8 others like this.
  14. MsBetsy

In those examples the doctor did not do anything to intentionally harm the patient.

JaneEyre, Cool Cats and SBops like this.
  15. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Did you know that on Durst trial there will be 11 alternates? Now that is a lot!

As far as Lane getting his own trial - the court site has them all having trial on 8/23.

@JerseyGirl - another reminder to "tag" me when the trial thread opens up! TIA! :)

16. MsBetsy

Right. Dr. Fowler claimed that in seven minutes, his carboxyhemoglobin "could" have increased by 10-18 %. This would have left the jury thinking carbon monoxide poisoning was a possibility.

But Dr. Tobin clarified that was not what occurred, since his oxygen level was 98%, so it was impossible for the carbon monoxide to be more than 2%, (which is normal.) It would have been much higher if it had increased by 10-18%.

Imo

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  17. BoyThatsWeird

BoyThatsWeird Well-Known Member

Anyone know what time it starts tomorrow?

MadMcGoo and Cool Cats like this.
  18. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting if there is a mistrial. All it takes is one juror to hold fast to "Reasonable Doubt".

MadMcGoo, turaj, jennieohhh and 5 others like this.
  19. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Well-Known Member

Pig's head left at former home of Chauvin defense witness

Barry Brodd, a former police officer who testified as an expert use-of-force witness in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, was apparently targeted for vandalism early Saturday, but the suspects got the wrong house, say cops in Santa Rosa, California.

Officers think Brodd was the target based on his recent testimony in support of Chauvin’s defense. Brodd said Tuesday that he found the defendant followed training, and was objectively reasonable.

upload_2021-4-19_4-48-33.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As for the vandalism incident, cops say the suspects did not stop at the residence. They soon splattered a large hand statue in front of the Santa Rosa Plaza mall with what is suspected of being animal blood, officers said

http://nixle.us/CNWGN - FULL NOTIFICATION - SANTA ROSA POLICE DEPARTMENT

Authorities say he no longer lives there, and has not for years. He does not even live in California anymore. Instead, another resident found their home smeared with what seemed to be animal blood. There was a pig’s head near the front porch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    MadMcGoo, SouthAussie and sds71 like this.
  20. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be hard to find the person who did this, a person with a very deranged mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.