George Zimmerman /Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread #10 Mon. July 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in the sixties. I looked and talked like a hippie. I wore my hair long and parted in the middle, I wore love beads and tie dyed shirts and bell bottom jeans. To this day, I have yet to so much as smoke a marijuana cigarette. I just wanted to fit in with popular teen culture.

I get your point, but what's the worst thing you could say about hippies? They stank.

Now if the popular teen culture was to look like a communist revolutionary, could you see the risk in appearing to be one of them?

However we know it is used in court all the time. Why because it is written word and represents that persons thoughts and beliefs and mannerisms and who they may really be.

OMO

You would be surprised to know how even innocent remarks you make in passing to a neighbor can be twisted by the state in a case against you. Google 'law professor lectures why you should never talk to the police", it's informative. IMO

BBM

What are you talking about?? Who's fans?

In regards to Miss Jeantel, I disagree with your implication that she is an educated pillar of society. Did you watch the same testimony I did? I don't care how many languages she speaks. She could not read. She was IMO combative on the witness stand and did not come across as being well-spoken OR articulate. Not even a little bit.

She couldn't read or write in cursive, Did you know they no longer teach cursive in schools?

DD's #2,3, and 4, and DS's #1 and 2 learned cursive at home, using darn near the same templates I used (downloaded from the internet dontcha know :) ), because I felt that cursive was something they needed to know.

However, DD#4's BFF cannot read anything DD writes in cursive it's sad :(

No way to get past this.. HIs dad said.. NO.... As per non partial witness.

OMO

The officer also just testified that GZ said the voice yelling for help, didn't sound like him (meaning GZ denied at the beginning that it was his own voice).

BBM

What are you talking about?? Who's fans?

In regards to Miss Jeantel, I disagree with your implication that she is an educated pillar of society. Did you watch the same testimony I did? I don't care how many languages she speaks. She could not read. She was IMO combative on the witness stand and did not come across as being well-spoken OR articulate. Not even a little bit.

The same outraged fans of George Zimmerman who have given him Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars because I would conclude they are militant as well and admire what he did. IMO

Please, in all honesty, I , in not the slightest fashion, alluded to Miss Rachel Jeantel as a " pillar of society. " Perhaps some aren't aware that millions of American residents, born here, do not read nor write English...some read and write their native tongues, others do not. A person who is conversant in three langages is not, however " ignorant." I dare say she might be articulate in one of her First languages, such as Creole Spanish, which is what is spoken in her home. Because an individual doesn't speak fluent English doesn't mean they are stupid and bad. Another witness had to have an interpreter....but since she wasn't a friend of the victim, she isn't constantly attacked by detractors nor made fun of for her appearance. IMO

If I was a hostile witness toward the Defense...and I have been one in a murder trial; had I been grilled and disputed for six hours, I might get a bit touchy...especially if I were constantly insulted by a lawyer like Don West. If anyone doesn't think prejudice played a blatant role in his questions, they haven't seen his daughter's, Molly West's, sneeringly mocking photo posted on behalf of her father on the internet. IMO

Being raked over the coals for six hours is no picnic. IMO

I have to go sing with a group who visits retirement homes. BBL

The officer also just testified that GZ said the voice yelling for help, didn't sound like him (meaning GZ denied at the beginning that it was his own voice).

And he just followed it up by saying he didn't think GZ was saying that as a denial that it was his voice, just that it didn't sound the same over the phone.

If I'm not mistaken, don't Defense Teams and Prosecutors also use prospsective juror's social media pages to make judgements about their characters and suitability for service?

Interesting question, I know potential employers sure do. I wouldn't be surprised if lawyers do investigate potential jurors. I dunno, though. IMO

Thanks, Nymeria: BBM Heckfish, I would say most of any online messaging does not equal reality.

Back when the internet was *new* (not too long after Al Gore invented it), I had my son watch me as I told people online that my son's * insert wrong name here* 10th birthday was that day. Naturally they all congratulated *wrong name*. My son said to me that that wasn't his name and I looked at him, smiled, and said "You're not ten, either." The lesson taught was valuable: be aware that what others say to you online is not necessarily the truth.

At least, that's the lesson I taught and he seemed to understand: I sure hope he didn't hear "I can lie to people on the internet". :floorlaugh:
How many of those people were family friends in meatspace?
For the most part people lie a lot more to people they haven't physically met.

She couldn't read or write in cursive, Did you know they no longer teach cursive in schools?

DD's #2,3, and 4, and DS's #1 and 2 learned cursive at home, using darn near the same templates I used (downloaded from the internet dontcha know :) ), because I felt that cursive was something they needed to know.

Not teaching cursive is imo an abomination and a dumbing down of this society...What's next phonetic spelling? IMO Sorry OT just concerned and I think this trial brings this up

That depends on the school. My son learned it in 3rd grade..

My child learned in third grade as well.

Believe me, I remember well; she hated learning it and said "she was too evolved to learn cursive"

unfortunately cursing is part of a lot of people's every day vernacular. My cousin who I love dearly and who has two young children has the biggest potty mouth around and uses s**t, *advertiser censored**, ******, (no need to go on, you get my drift) in every day conversational tone when discussing all types of situation.

I just do not subscribe that these words in the tone that I heard can be construed as ill will, hatred and depravity

IMO

Just throwing in my two cents on this topic, the tone is as important as the content. What he said and the calmness in which he said it, do not at all concern me for a moment. Especially in light of the fact that his wife had witnessed crime in the neighborhood, and he too was aware of several burglaries.

If I saw a hooded person in my neighborhood, I would pause for a moment. That's not profiling, it's just being cautious. There's nothing wrong with that.

And I have said FAR worse about other drivers on the road on a typical drive to work. And I'm the least violent person you'll ever meet... I don't fight, I don't yell, and I most certainly have never wished any harm on somebody that I may have called an a-h*le.

In my opinion, a-h*le is probably the most common word in our vocabulary to describe somebody that we're frustrated with. I probably hear that word 5-10 times every day from work to being in public to tv. I wouldn't run and hide for my life if somebody used that word around me. Frustration does not even remotely equal murderous intent. They are reaching.

IMO

My DD is 19...born about 2 weeks after JT and she learned cursive in school. She graduated last year. jmo

No. He clarified that HE KNEW that was not what he meant.. Only how strange his voice sounded.. Not that he was denying it was him.

Witness stand 6 mins ago..

Not teaching cursive is imo an abomination and a dumbing down of this society...What's next phonetic spelling? IMO Sorry OT just concerned and I think this trial brings this up

Phonetics was so important that when our child's public elementary school went to 'whole language", his teacher told us parents not to worry, she will still be teaching phonics also. Whole language was a whole lot of crap, IMO.

I have a rising 3rd grader and a rising 7th grader. They both learned cursive in school. Last year, in 2nd grade, all work after Xmas was required to be done in cursive. So, it is a requirement still in some schools.

GZ didn't say it WASN'T him, rather it didn't SOUND like him.

On Friday, when TM's brother (who looks a lot like TM) testified, I noticed he had a very deep voice. If TM had a similar voice, the voice heard screaming was not TM.

As many have already said, when first interviewed by the police, Tracy Martin said the screams were not his son.

I learned cursive in 3rd grade, then didnt have the use it the rest of my years in school. Not sure how much I would be able to read though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail