Georgia Dome and CNN Center Hit by Tornado

I was up waiting for the UK game last night (as I put in Jury Room), and just watching it and hearing the noise on TV was scary. Glad to see that all of you are okay. How are things this evening -- any better after the news (6pm I was watching and they showed more bad weather)?

Just checking in to see how all of you Atlanta area people are doing!

You have all been on my mind all day. And I do hope things are calming down in your area by this time.

Hope you and all of your family and friends are safe and secure.

We had some very bad storms here today, but nothing of the tornadic strength!

All of you, please stay safe!:blowkiss:

9:00 pm here in my part of N GA, and there is NOTHING!!!!! Which then again, we had nothing all day in my part.
Prayers for those who suffered!!!!!!!!!

Just checking in to see how all of you Atlanta area people are doing!

You have all been on my mind all day. And I do hope things are calming down in your area by this time.

Hope you and all of your family and friends are safe and secure.

We had some very bad storms here today, but nothing of the tornadic strength!

All of you, please stay safe!:blowkiss:

Went outside to give you a full weather report. It is cool much cooler than earlier and I can see many stars so the sky is fairly clear. Traffic is zooming in the background...normal activity.

I hope your storms have settled down too. I am pretty sure I will sleep well tonight as I am exhausted from the stress of listening for train sounds and getting ready to jump in the bathtub with a big comforter over my head. LOL!

Atlanta is a mess though. It looks a lot like New Orleans after Katrina without the flooding. I know 2 people lost their lives in NW Georgia but to think how many could have been killed downtown last night is frightening. In the dome alone there were thousands of people, not even counting a big dental convention being held downtown.

I was live in Dallas Ga and as I was out shoping today my family kept calling me and telling me to get home, big storms were headed my way, but I really didnt have much of anything.

Went outside to give you a full weather report. It is cool much cooler than earlier and I can see many stars so the sky is fairly clear. Traffic is zooming in the background...normal activity.

I hope your storms have settled down too. I am pretty sure I will sleep well tonight as I am exhausted from the stress of listening for train sounds and getting ready to jump in the bathtub with a big comforter over my head. LOL!

Atlanta is a mess though. It looks a lot like New Orleans after Katrina without the flooding. I know 2 people lost their lives in NW Georgia but to think how many could have been killed downtown last night is frightening. In the dome alone there were thousands of people, not even counting a big dental convention being held downtown.

It's good to hear from you, cp! and I'm thankful your horrible weather has cleared out! I'm thankful too that you're safe now and ok.
I can only imagine how frightening things were for you!

Our storms were just fast moving thunderstorms, and then they were gone! The rain stayed, but we do need it.

I've seen the news reports from Atlanta and it looks devastated, much like a war zone! I am sorry for the deaths of the 2 people, but you're right, it could have been much more. Thankful it was not. You definately had a huge group of guardian angels watching over the Atlanta area.

Hope you have a good night of sleep tonight, and wishing you a beautiful day of sunshine tomorrow!:blowkiss:

And thanks for the up to the minute report, cp!:)

I was live in Dallas Ga and as I was out shoping today my family kept calling me and telling me to get home, big storms were headed my way, but I really didnt have much of anything.

HI Shannon! :)

Glad you are ok and didn't have that scarey weather that Atlanta had!

All well here. DH was making fun of me b/c I made everyone go down into the basement. He acts like I've got everyone in some primitive tornado shelter every time it rains. I told him to suck it up...he had to move from one couch to another to watch a different TV. Poor, poor baby.:boohoo:

We got some rain and major hail (Not baseball sized, though - WTH!!!) but it was over in minutes. DD7 crying over the people who died. I think she is more traumatized b/c she heard them say there were animals found dead on the property as well. My future PETA member. :rolleyes:

Glad everyone else is okay. Downtown is not good. So thankful everyone managed to survive that mess.

We got some rain and major hail (Not baseball sized, though - WTH!!!) but it was over in minutes. DD7 crying over the people who died. I think she is more traumatized b/c she heard them say there were animals found dead on the property as well. My future PETA member. :rolleyes:

The animals bothered me too. From looking at the pictures, it appears the Kennel was hit the worst. Below is a link to a sweet story about Mrs. Bonnie and her animals.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/16/tornado.victim/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

I met Bonnie Turner seven years ago when I was looking for a puppy.
There was just simply no one better to turn to than the eccentric grandmother who loved animals so much that her 86-acre North Georgia farm was home to donkeys, goats, high-priced show dogs and even a few wayward deer. (more at link)

I haven't skimmed the thread...but just saw this in my noon update email..amazing pics.

Eye Of The Storm; Photos & Video From Across Metro Atlanta
News Chopper 2 flew over the storm-damaged area. The extent of the damage was
shocking. Take a look at our slideshow.

MORE DETAILS: <http://www.wsbtv.com/tu/5wofvSHIR.html>

Sending love and strength to all my fellow Atlantans.

Those pictures are haunting. I hope the good people of Atlanta and surrounding counties are getting the aide that they need.

I haven't skimmed the thread...but just saw this in my noon update email..amazing pics.

Eye Of The Storm; Photos & Video From Across Metro Atlanta
News Chopper 2 flew over the storm-damaged area. The extent of the damage was
shocking. Take a look at our slideshow.

MORE DETAILS: <http://www.wsbtv.com/tu/5wofvSHIR.html>

Sending love and strength to all my fellow Atlantans.

Thanks Christine....even us not in the direct line-of-site appreciate this!!!!!

Holy Cow!

http://www.wsbtv.com/tornado/15633673/detail.html

It felt like the earth moved Friday night for hundreds of guests at the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel.

The tornado that left rubble scattered across downtown Atlanta and other neighborhoods was so powerful it caused the hotel, one of the world's tallest, to shift.

"It's designed to move a couple of feet and I think it did, so we're having structural engineers look at the hotel," Ed Walls, general manager of the hotel told WSB-TV Channel 2 reporter Jodie Fleischer.

Holy Cow!

http://www.wsbtv.com/tornado/15633673/detail.html

It felt like the earth moved Friday night for hundreds of guests at the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel.

The tornado that left rubble scattered across downtown Atlanta and other neighborhoods was so powerful it caused the hotel, one of the world's tallest, to shift.

"It's designed to move a couple of feet and I think it did, so we're having structural engineers look at the hotel," Ed Walls, general manager of the hotel told WSB-TV Channel 2 reporter Jodie Fleischer.

I got to say that outside elevator has always scared me. I don't think I would be going there for a visit for awhile. Maybe never. Just me, of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back