Gerard Baden Clay's murder appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you tgy. Much appreciated.

(it certainly sounds like the house was bugged.......Self harm?! All about himself again. The police were worried out the children!!)

As this article is behind a paywall I'll paraphrase as well as I can. Here I go....

Police spent the night secretly hidden around GBC's house fearing he was going to harm the children the night before his arrest and were under orders to storm the house if his three daughters were in danger. They remained there until morning when he left the home for work.

This secret operation can be revealed ahead of his appeal this week was arranged after police ramped up pressure with approaches to family members who had been his biggest supporters.

On the day before his arrest, detectives had flown to Townsville to present almost all of their evidence to his sister Olivia Walton and simultaneously, approached his parents Nigel and Elaine in Brisbane in a final bid to draw out more information.

Detectives arrested Baden-Clay in the Toowong Tower carpark on June 13, 2012, as he left work at his office at C-21 to pick up his daughters from school, and charged him with the murder of his wife Allison, 43.

He was convicted of murder in July last year after a five-week trial and sentenced to life imprisonment.(I just had to bold this sentence, it just sounds so gooood)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227466222500

My anxiety level is rising. In the middle of vacuuming or chopping up vegies or what have you, I find myself dwelling on it. How long will it take? What are his chances? Surely they cannot let off someone who was so blindingly obviously guilty right from the word go? How are Allison's poor dear parents bearing up under the weight of it? When will it all be over?

Around and around I go; I'm on tenterhooks. Every so often I see that written as "tender hooks," which makes me smile. Having a background in textiles, I'm aware of the historical basis of tenterhooks (and tenterfields - remember Peter Allen's "Tenterfield Saddler?")

"Tentering" goes back to the production of woollen cloth in medieval England. After the fleece was spun and woven, it still contained impurities and had to be cleaned. Because wool shrinks when you wash it, the washed cloth was stretched out on large wooden frames called tenters; hence the hooks around the edges of the frames were called tenterhooks, and a field with many frames was a tenterfield.

Forgive me for rattling on, I just thought someone might like to know that. Just a little distraction from the main issue. It can't be over soon enough, can it?

I am planning on going to the appeal on Friday so will report back.

Law list is up.
Appeal to be heard at 10.15am Banco court, Supreme Court before 3 judges.

Perhaps they don't think it's going to take very long as there is another appeal scheduled in same court at a time not before 10.30. I think the Baden Clay appeal will take more than 15 mins.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__external/CourtsLawList/Brisbane.htm

Thanks Alioops. I heard on Channel 9 News tonight that GBC won't be appeaaring tomorrow and it will be a few months until we know the appeal outcome. I was distracted while watching this so I might have got it a bit wrong.

I'm hoping to take a break from work and go to the appeal but not sure if I'll be able to make it. Hopefully I can be there for an hour or so. It might be quick legal argument based on the timing mentioned in the court lists.

I wonder if they'll just go through the grounds for appeal which I've read about, have a quick legal argument, and then dismiss the Appeal, or just adjourn it until another day? Not sure what to make of the time allowed.

Anyway if anyone is going and wants to catch up, hopefully we can connect.

I hope they discuss and decide tomorrow so everyone can move on. I found the legal arguments during the trial fascinating. I wonder if family on either side will attend?

Thanks Alioops. I heard on Channel 9 News tonight that GBC won't be appeaaring tomorrow and it will be a few months until we know the appeal outcome. I was distracted while watching this so I might have got it a bit wrong.

Sounds correct to me BN.

Gerard Baden-Clay: Appeal begins against murder conviction of wife Allison Baden-Clay

He is appealing on four grounds:

That the verdict of murder was unreasonable;
A miscarriage of justice occurred because the jury was not directed on evidence relating to the presence of Allison's blood in the car;
The trial judge erred in law in not directing the jury over evidence relating to the placement of Allison's body at Kholo Creek;
And that the trial judge also erred in leaving to the jury that Baden-Clay attempted to disguise marks on his face by making razor cuts.

Baden-Clay will not attend today's hearing before three judges of the Appeals Court.

Top prosecutor Tony Moynihan will handle the appeal, with prosecutor Danny Boyle also representing the crown.

Barrister Michael Copley QC will represent Baden-Clay, with high-profile solicitor Peter Shields by his side.

Allison's parents, Geoff and Priscilla Dickie, will attend the hearing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-...ins-against-murder-conviction-of-wife/6675296

I'm hoping to take a break from work and go to the appeal but not sure if I'll be able to make it. Hopefully I can be there for an hour or so. It might be quick legal argument based on the timing mentioned in the court lists.

I wonder if they'll just go through the grounds for appeal which I've read about, have a quick legal argument, and then dismiss the Appeal, or just adjourn it until another day? Not sure what to make of the time allowed.

Anyway if anyone is going and wants to catch up, hopefully we can connect.

I hope they discuss and decide tomorrow so everyone can move on. I found the legal arguments during the trial fascinating. I wonder if family on either side will attend?

As much as I would like to say there will be a timely conclusion to this matter, there will be no decision reached today. It will be several months before we know whether the appeal is to be upheld or dismissed, certainly nothing today. Barring exceptional circumstances there will be no adjournments either :)

I wouldn't pay much attention to the "not before 10:30" in the Law List, I'd expect the appeal to last for the majority of the day.

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 10m10 minutes ago

The enormous Banco Court is close to capacity for the #badenclay appeal. Expected to go for one day.

Allison's large family is seated in the front two rows. Her parents in the front. #badenclay

The appeal is set to start at 10.15am. Justices Holmes, Fraser and Gotterson are sitting today on the Court of Appeal. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 13m13 minutes ago

At least 150 people in the public gallery of the Banco court, half an hour before Gerard Baden-Clay's appeal @couriermail

Geoff and Priscilla Dickie, parents of Allison Baden-Clay, in the front row. Large family contingent wearing yellow ribbons.

Alioop message: I'm in court room. It's filling up quickly. Allison's mum in front row wearing yellow jacket. Have to turn off my phone now.

I am curious as to whether the sister, Olivia Baden-Watson whatever rocks up.. .. the old directive of family being offlimits doesn't apply to Olivia who made herself front and centre of the entire shindig from the get-go... Olivia saw herself as something akin to the Master of Ceremonies at a very bad wedding.. here is Olivia, taking her brother out shopping.. .. here is Olivia , calling a press conference (!!) .. here is Olivia at the court , calling another press conference,, and ( the final mad folly ) here is Olivia being 'character witness' for Gerard and a 'character witness' for Alison.

And what a witness she was. It was Olivia, never let it be forgotten, who first floated the idea publicly that Alison was a bit vague and 'suffering from depression'... this was way before the body of Alison was found.. . . and so it continued, until , driven by her own folly, Olivia got in the witness stand to lay out her story, of the mad and lazy Alison and the upright and hardworking Gerard.. it was disgusting..

But it wasn't just me who found it disgusting.. the Judge took quite a bit of time laying out in excoriating, exquisite detail , just how reprehensible and revolting Gerard, Olivia and Nigel were for attempting to colour this picture of Alison to their own benefit and how it would resonate down the years as a thing of shame and humiliation for them.. .. as so it did, and has. .

I an curious to know if Olivia is still at it.. . raising funds, telling the women in her troppo church how to be 'authentic' , looking after Nige and Elaine. keeping the barristers and solicitors up to scratch, all the busyness of Olivia writ large.. is it still going on? anyone know?

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 1m1 minute ago

Gerard's father Nigel and sister Olivia are sitting in the front row. #badenclay

Acting Director of Public Prosecutions, Michael Byrne, has entered the court, along with prosecutor Danny Boyle. #badenclay

Lots of leather cases on wheels. #badenclay

The Supreme Court has allocated staff to manage the crowds. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 1m1 minute ago

DPP's Michael Byrne QC and Danny Boyle in court. Gerard's parents Nigel and Elaine Baden-Clay are here. He's at Wolston jail, won't attend.

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 20s20 seconds ago

Gerard's legal team is here. He will be represented by barrister Michael Copley and solicitor Peter Shields. #badenclay

Re the the bugging of Durness St up-thread. QPS had approval for one month from the courts. Inside and outside the home was covered - even from the letterbox of a neighbour. This of course has to be offered up as opinion only as there is no link for obvious reasons. Thanks M.

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 14s14 seconds ago

Court staff member giving instructions to crowd. Mobile phones off, no verbal outbursts. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 23s24 seconds ago

Court is full, about 200 people. Court staff announce verbal outbursts won't be tolerated #badenclay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member