Germany Germany - Skeletal, in Lake Starnberg, Adidas size 11 (UK), Upper Bavaria, 27 Apr 2021

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Afelia, May 1, 2021.

1. Afelia

Afelia Active Member

Bit of hope, otto and Marg from Oz like this.

2. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, @Afelia. I'll be following.

Most mysterious skeleton found in Lake Starnberg

-Pieces of clothing were located but not pictured
    - Dentals and genetic analysis are pending
    - PMI is unknown
    - Shoes found were Adidas, type: Indoor Special, size 12 (UK) (size 46), and the resulting conclusion that the remains of the unknown person must be a man
    - The specific shoe design dates back to the 1980s

I hope it won't take long to identify this man. There are probably living relatives who have spent years waiting for answers, in my opinion.

3. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Member

Continental Europe utilizes a different foot measuring system (ex 41-45) compared to the UK as explained in the article.

Going off of this I wonder if this (presumed) man is British?

Also. the UK armed forces has maintained a varying presence since the end of WWII to the present day in central/southern Germany (not far from where these remains were found)

I wonder if investigators have tried contacting British Army Germany’s Royal Military Police detachment to see if any personnel have gone missing in Germany since the 1980’s?

As the shoe dates from the 80’s onwards.

4. Susikatze

Susikatze Well-Known Member

The police wants to compare the DNA to a missing persons case from 2010, a 67 year old recreational sailor from Munich who fell into the lake and was not recovered yet.

The Starnberger See swallowed quite a few people.. including Dr. Gudden, the doctor of Bavarian king Ludwig II (whose body was recovered but his doctors body is still missing). But that is not him with 1980s tennis shoes... :)

The case of the 67 year old missing man could be one of the most promising leads. He may have worn his vintage shoes for sailing because they are comfy.

5. Susikatze

Athletic footwear is often sold in international sizes. Not unusual.
    This guy had mighty large feet, though (46.5 Euro is really large, even for German men).

6. ninetimesfifteen

ninetimesfifteen Active Member

I sometimes come across shoes that have UK measurements in European stores. I don't think I've ever come across one of the popular sports brands (Adidas, Nike, Puma, etc.) that had UK measurements, unless they were ordered from SportsDirect.

7. Susikatze

Supposedly there are at least 28 missing people in the lake that have not been recovered yet.

Stilles Wasser

8. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Member

Wow, that's quite a few people (even though the Lake is Germany's 2nd biggest inland body of water according to Wikipedia.

Interesting, they haven't identified him because the Lake is surrounded by private property, according to the Wiki entry. Would kind of make entry with a boat hard.

renee_ellis likes this.
  9. noodlefreak

noodlefreak Member

This is not so true. The lake has places of access with a boat and it is not all private property. Here, the google translation from german Wikipedia.
    "Sailing boats shorter than 9.20 m and without a motor can be used for public use without a permit, whereby the local rules must be observed (e.g. distance to the shore, protected areas, right of way for passenger ships). There are public admission ramps in Tutzing and Ammerland (without parking) and in the recreation area near Ambach.
    Motor and electric boats as well as sailing boats with a length of more than 9.20 m or with an auxiliary engine over four kilowatts of power or with living, cooking or sanitary facilities require approval from the Starnberg District Office and a license plate as well as a license agreement under private law with the Bavarian Palace Administration . The same applies to berths on buoys or jetties.
    For motorboat permits on Lake Starnberg there is a fixed contingent of 255 private licenses and a reservation list with a waiting period of approx. 10 years."

And I would guess that 40 years ago, the access was not controlled or
    regulated like it is today.

10. noodlefreak

noodlefreak Member

more google translation from the german wikipedia..

"Angling and fishing with a net, both as a sport and to acquire food, are still practiced privately and commercially on Lake Starnberg. The best fishing grounds are around the undersea elevations and mountains. Most of the local fishermen have a long family tradition associated with their profession. They often still live in the historic courtyards along the shore, which in some cases bear the traditional guild signs with the year of acceptance into the guild."

11. Susikatze

Yes there are plenty of public access, open areas and "beaches". It also has some private property and hotels surrounding as parts of the adjacent villages and it also has several marinas and campgrounds. I would say, though, that the majority of it is publically accessible. It is a very nice, very touristy and recreational area (it is not far from Munich). You can even swim nicely in it. It is not a dark, deep sinister Brothers Grimm fairytale lake that swallows you alive... lol...
    But accidents and suicides happen and missing persons cases accumulate over the decades.

12. Susikatze

Regarding the fishermen, i am pretty sure that not more than one or two families still do that commercially there (they cater to the fancy restaurants that take pride in local foods). Mostly recreational fishing.
    It is Bavaria but it does not mean it is stuck in a perpetual past, lol.
    The Starnberg See area is one of the most expensive housing areas in Germany and as i said before, is mainly visited by tourists. International, from all Germany and from the Munich area.

TootsieFootsie likes this.