GUILTY Germany - Woman, 95, Indicted on 10,000 Counts, Accessory to Murder, 1943-1945 Nazi Camp, 5 Feb 2021

Lawyers for a 97-year-old former secretary to the SS commander of Nazi Germany’s Stutthof concentration camp asked Tuesday for their client to be acquitted, arguing that she didn’t know about the atrocities committed at the camp located in what is now northern Poland.

Thanks for this article!

from the article:

The court said a verdict is expected on Dec. 20.

Wanted to add - I am not buying her "she didn't know" statement. Did she breathe while she worked? She couldn't smell the foul odor of bodies being burned??
just shaking my head.... :rolleyes:

Wanted to add - I am not buying her "she didn't know" statement. Did she breathe while she worked? She couldn't smell the foul odor of bodies being burned??
just shaking my head.... :rolleyes:

I'm surprised Paul-Werner Hoppe (Stutthof camp commander/Furchner's boss) was only sentenced to 9 years. From what I've read he helped form the Totenkopf (Death's Head) division.

He was tried and convicted as an accessory to murder in 1955. On 4 June 1957, the district court in Bochum sentenced Hoppe to nine years and he was released in 1966.

And, more info here

Tuesday, December 20th:
*Trial continues-Verdict! (@ am CET) - Germany - *Irmgard Furchner (18 @ time of crime/95/now 97) Indicted (Feb. 5, 2021) on 10,000 counts of accessory to murder in Nazi Camp. Furchner is accused of having contributed as an 18-year-old to the murder of 11,412 people & 18 additional counts of accessory to attempted murder when she worked as a secretary, stenographer & typist to SS commandant Paul Werner Hoppe & would have had a hand in transport lists of detainees due to be sent to Auschwitz for execution, the dictation of Hoppe’s orders, radio messages & his correspondence at the Stutthof concentration camp between 1943 & 1945.
Trial began on Oct. 19, 2021. Trial is scheduled to continue over the next few months. Sessions are limited to about two hours a day, based on medical advice.
After trying to escape the trial in late September, leaving the retirement home in Quickborn where she lives & traveling by taxi to the outskirts of Hamburg, she was arrested several hours later & placed in police custody for five days before being fitted with an electronic wrist tag.

Case & court info from Feb. 5, 2021 to Sept. 29, 2021 & trial days (Oct. 19, 2021-June. 24, 2022) reference post #137 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-1943-1945-nazi-camp-5-feb-2021.558586/page-7

Nov. 11, 2022 Update: German prosecutors called Tuesday for a 97-year-old woman who was the secretary to the SS commander of the Stutthof concentration camp to be convicted as an accessory to murder & given a two-year suspended sentence. Furchner hasn't responded to the charges against her during the trial. There are no formal pleas in the German judicial system. Furchner is being tried in juvenile court because she was under 21 at the time of the alleged crimes. Closing arguments are to continue on Nov. 29, 2022.
Nov. 29, 2022 Update: Lawyers for a 97-year-old former secretary to the SS commander of Nazi Germany’s Stutthof concentration camp asked Tuesday for their client to be acquitted, arguing that she didn’t know about the atrocities committed at the camp located in what is now northern Poland. In her closing statement, Furchner said she was sorry for what had happened & regretted that she had been there at the time. “I’m sorry about everything that happened,” Furchner said at the courthouse, her lawyer told AFP. “I regret that I was in Stutthof at the time,” she said, referring to the location of the concentration camp in occupied Poland where she worked. Her lawyers requested her acquittal, arguing that the evidence hadn’t shown beyond doubt that Furchner knew about the systematic killings at the camp, meaning there was no proof of intent as required for criminal liability. Prosecutors accused Furchner of being part of the apparatus that helped the Nazis’ Stutthof camp function during World War II. In their closing arguments last month, they called for her to be convicted as an accessory to murder & given a two-year suspended sentence. The court said a verdict is expected on Dec. 20, 2022.

She was sentenced Tuesday to a two-year suspended sentence, according to a spokesperson at the court in Itzehoe, northern Germany.
That feels like a dangerous message to send in our current world.

Since they waited over 70 years to prosecute a witness at her boss's trial -- maybe reasonable.

If she had died in prison, it would have seemed rather inhumane imho.

Not sure this situation ever had a 'good' possible outcome?
I don't feel that there is anything inhumane about her passing of natural causes in jail after what she was party to. The delay was the first misstep in my opnion.

Meh; 17 and 18 year old men were fighting and dying in that same war. Lest we forget.

Glad they found her guilty; a smidgen of justice was done.

imho rifle-carriers and artillery loaders and cooks and drivers are not tried for war crimes -- while the architects of those crimes, the planners, are tried.

Typists???

imho rifle-carriers and artillery loaders and cooks and drivers are not tried for war crimes -- while the architects of those crimes, the planners, are tried.

Typists???

It's nothing to do with war crimes (she's GUILTY BTW!! Yay!!).

It's to do with the fact that apparently men of 17 and 18 are more responsible for their decisions and actions that woe-is-me SS secretaries ofthe same age.

Typists???

It's to do with the fact that apparently men of 17 and 18 are more responsible for their decisions and actions that woe-is-me SS secretaries of the same age. Very, very happy to see a small iota of accountability.

It's to do with the fact that apparently men of 17 and 18 are more responsible for their decisions and actions that woe-is-me SS secretaries ofthe same age.

However, the infantry, artillery, cav/mech cav, sailors, etc are not generally considered criminals although these jobs include tasks that do result in death & destruction.

Are they guilty as well? The foot soldiers who walked into Poland and France? The soldiers who stood guard at ghetto gates and rail platforms?

If men of 17 & 18 are more responsible for their decisions, are they often convicted for doing their jobs during a war?

I'm not sure that I'm a big fan of this sort of prosecution after all this time. If I were on the jury I'd be skeptical of eyewitness memories.
There is a book about "Female Administrators in the Third Reich", Female Administrators of the Third Reich | Rachel Century | Palgrave Macmillan

To have worked in a concentration camp, and to claim that that one did not know what was being done there, I find it difficult to believe. I think it's about that the person haven't wanted to acknowledge to themselves that what they had seen was wrong, or that they doesn't think what was happening there was morally wrong.
Yes and also if you were an eye witness to the atrocities it would be something you would never forget.

Meh; 17 and 18 year old men were fighting and dying in that same war. Lest we forget.

Glad they found her guilty; a smidgen of justice was done.

She wasn't hiding.
She did not flee to South America.
She did not go to the USA to work on the Space Programme.

In the 1950's she testified in court and helped convict the camp leader.
That would have been the time for her to claim immunity in return for her testimony ~ not unheard of.
Did not happen, no one told her that immunity might come in handy over 70 years.
No one considered it necessary, and no one thought of prosecuting the secretary at that time when so many were prosecuted for war crimes.

Then somewhere down the line, a judge decides that the helpers should also be prosecuted. Unfortunately, these people are all dead or very old. That does not stop a band of mainly young prosecutors because Nazi is Bad and they go after the grannies. As we speak there is a man of 103 appealing his conviction.
I followed the case, it was really hard to find that the typist had indeed a defence counsel - she did but he was hardly mentioned. There were prosecutors for every angle. They kept on insisting that she should say how sorry she was: SAY you ARE SORRY! Say you are SORRY!
They claimed that this trial was necessary because the Holocaust should never be forgotten.
Really? Is there any danger that the Holocaust will be forgotten? And if so, would this trial of a typist change the course of history? The claim is ludicrous.

My personal opinion about these trials is that we all should worry about our legal safety. It used to be that you could not be tried and convicted for something that wasn't a crime at the time when it happened. That is no longer the case. Opinions may change - and there you go, even if you were a typist among many, and testified in court. They may even use your own testimony against you if they change their mind after 70 years.

Be very, very careful what you are happy about.

However, the infantry, artillery, cav/mech cav, sailors, etc are not generally considered criminals although these jobs include tasks that do result in death & destruction.

Are they guilty as well? The foot soldiers who walked into Poland and France? The soldiers who stood guard at ghetto gates and rail platforms?

If men of 17 & 18 are more responsible for their decisions, are they often convicted for doing their jobs during a war?

Oh my. To close with and destroy the enemy; that's the goal of warfare (and infantry soldiers to be exact) .... APPLES.

NOT to place into concentration camps,torture, experiment upon and exterminate a demographic of people who are also non-combattants because you believe yourself to be superior to them. ORANGES.

And, BTW, foot soldiers (infantry) of the axis who committed war crimes were often charged too.

Also, walking into Poland and France wasn't and isn't a war crime. But, you knew that already.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back