'Ghost yacht' found off Australia

One of the men had just purchased the boat, and although he spent several days learning how to navigate it, he may have not known enough. Foul play has been ruled out.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267345,00.html
If there was no foul play it just seems odd that three men fell overboard, they could have had some rough weather as that would explain the ripped sail and maybe fell overboard then or got into a life boat and are adrift in the ocean somewhere, the experts dont hold much hope that they will be found, I hope they are wrong.:confused:

If there was no foul play it just seems odd that three men fell overboard, they could have had some rough weather as that would explain the ripped sail and maybe fell overboard then or got into a life boat and are adrift in the ocean somewhere, the experts dont hold much hope that they will be found, I hope they are wrong.:confused:
It is all over red rover IMO.. Maybe it will never be solved..

There was a Stephen King movie I saw on TV about an airplane that went through what they called a time rip, I believe. Spooky.

I just finished reading this Stephen King story in a book of his with multiples stories, very, very, creepy, but he made it SO believeable, story.

I thought of that story as soon as I read this!

Doing a little searching to see what I can find out about the mates there were on on the boat:

Found this

The 12m vessel had left Abel Point Marina in Airlie Beach on Sunday, bound for Perth, after being purchased by Derek Batten, 56, of South Yunderup, a canal suburb near Mandurah, 100km south of Perth.

Mr Batten had joined his next-door neighbour Peter Tunstead, 69, and his brother James Tunstead, 63, who lives in Mullaloo, a northern suburb of Perth.
James's daughter Keryn Grey said she hoped the men had drifted off in a tinnie.

"That's what we are hoping - they've forgotten to anchor it,

it's drifted off and the three idiots have not been able to get back toit."

No trace of the men has since been found, but data from the boat's computers indicates it has been drifting since Sunday, with police admitting hope of finding the men alive is fading. "We believe the boat has been drifting for a number of days," said Townsville Police Chief Superintendent Roy Hall.

The Tunsteads' nephew, Jerome, said the men were active for their age, playing tennis once a week, and had been close.

"They love sailing. This was something they had been planning for a long time, and they hadbeen waiting for the right weather before leaving," Mr Tunstead said.

Both his uncles were married, one with three daughters and the other with five children, he said.

Mr Batten's son Chris told West Australian radio his father had recently bought the boat and had been sailing for several years.

"He's a member of the volunteer sea rescue mob at Fremantle, so hopefully he knows a bit about it," Mr Batten said.

But Fremantle Volunteer Sea Rescue operations officer Dave Farrell last night said Mr Batten had not been an active member of the group.

"He's been an affiliate member of Fremantle sea rescue, but he's not been an active member on patrol," Mr Farrell said.

Also found this
Australian media reported the names of the sailors as skipper Derek Batten, 56, and brothers Peter and James Tunstead, ages 69 and 63.
The three are neighbours in Perth, Western Australia.

Adding to the mystery was the fact that Mr Benson checked the boat for safety equipment and found everything intact.

The only thing out of place was a badly torn sail. Rescuers remain baffled as to why the yacht's fenders, which are generally used when another vessel pulls alongside, were down.

"There was a lot of safety gear still on board. There was no lifeboat, but there was a small boat that was suspended.

"Something else unusual was that the radio wasn't working."

Do ya think this is a misprint? I thought I had read everything was working?

Adding to the mystery was the fact that Mr Benson checked the boat for safety equipment and found everything intact.

The only thing out of place was a badly torn sail. Rescuers remain baffled as to why the yacht's fenders, which are generally used when another vessel pulls alongside, were down.

"There was a lot of safety gear still on board. There was no lifeboat, but there was a small boat that was suspended.

"Something else unusual was that the radio wasn't working."

Do ya think this is a misprint? I thought I had read everything was working?
Who knows it has everybody stumped at the moment, there are so many different scenarios that it could be, but we may never find out if they dont locate the men.

Who knows it has everybody stumped at the moment, there are so many different scenarios that it could be, but we may never find out if they dont locate the men.

Hiya Shazza! Where they ever able to track their route with the GPS, or are they still working on it? I had never thought of them 'forgetting' to anchor as one of the family members mentioned. I really wonder if they are not stranded somewhere along that route, on land?

Hiya Shazza! Where they ever able to track their route with the GPS, or are they still working on it? I had never thought of them 'forgetting' to anchor as one of the family members mentioned. I really wonder if they are not stranded somewhere along that route, on land?
Hey christine2448, hows things.

Not sure what the authorities have found out, they are keeping it pretty close to the chest, theres not much more information out then we already know. Hopefully there will be more news soon.

The 12m (40 foot) catamaran was spotted by a helicopter on Wednesday drifting off the Great Barrier Reef, but a rescue team only reached the boat on Friday, and confirmed that there was no one aboard.

So, from Wed to Fri, the dishes all managed to stay on the table without sliding off?
I think you can buy special plates for sailing...they sort of suction on to the table.

Their families are still hanging in there and hoping that they are adrift somewhere or are on land waiting to be rescued, personally I dont think there is much chance of this happening but if it was my family I too would be hoping that there is still a chance that they will be found. I pray for them and their families.

I think you can buy special plates for sailing...they sort of suction on to the table.

Hi Dingo, You are right about that. But also the table is different on a boat in that it has a ledge around the edge so plates won't go sailing off. And glasses or cups are set in holders.

The kitchen is really interesting on a boat too, as it is all virtually 'slide-proof', pans on the stove, dishes and the like. Scandi

071300sl_SL_galley-fullshot.jpg

Here you can see the wood ridge around the counter that keeps things from sliding off. See the stove over to the right? It has a metal railing aroud it that you can see here, and the pots and pans sit inside of that and aren't going to go anywhere!

My hubby is a keen yacht sailor. His opinion is that the sail was damaged due to windchange and no-one to tend it. We are also of the opinin that these guys are deceased.

Hi Dingo, You are right about that. But also the table is different on a boat in that it has a ledge around the edge so plates won't go sailing off. And glasses or cups are set in holders.

The kitchen is really interesting on a boat too, as it is all virtually 'slide-proof', pans on the stove, dishes and the like. Scandi.

071300sl_SL_galley-fullshot.jpg

Here you can see the wood ridge around the counter that keeps things from sliding off. See the stove over to the right? It has a metal railing aroud it that you can see here, and the pots and pans sit inside of that and aren't going to go anywhere!
Thank you Scandi..I thought yachts and such were decked out with non slip gadgets...

This will proberly be one of those unsolved mysteries......my heart aches for their families.

I heard that they think, the boat, according to the onboard GPS, started "drifiting" with the winds, and currents, within the first 24 hours of when they left on their excursion.

It's strange that the fenders were down, as if another boat came alongside, but pirates are discounted.

I hadn't heard that their clothes were folded, as if they had undressed, and gone swimming.

I'm afraid that this will forever remain a mystery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy
Back