PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

Giant-headed mummy found in Peru; "alien skull," perhaps?

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by wfgodot, Nov 18, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

With the tabloids, it's always something.

Is this an alien skull? Mystery of giant-headed mummy found in Peru

Much more from Daily Mail - a picture of the goggle-eyed, elongated skull and its fontanelle and large molars plus the rest of the article - at link above, along with a telling sidebar about ritual skull elongation.

2. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

That's the first thing I thought of---the elongation of the skull during infancy.

I think I really watch to much PBS is that is floating around my head at all times :sheesh:

3. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

What I find truly fascinating is that 9000 years later people are still doing bizarre & idiotic things to their body to look like some societal ideal. What a pathetic species we are.

Just look up to the thread where stupid people allowed a fake doctor to inject their butts with a substance which turned out to be fix a flat & super glue.:floorlaugh:

4. peeples

peeples New Member

I first thought of elongation too, but what about the huge eye sockets???

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I suppose the fontanelle could be explained as the mummy in question having been a very young child - but those large molars are a bit worrisome. It should be easy to tell (well, with a microscope) if the eye sockets have been enlarged by chipping away bone (for God knows what reason).

Daily Mail has become a bit skull-obsessed of late:
    the rest of this at link above, with pictures, of course, including the carved skull / hand guard.

BONUS!

The Mail's article on the Florida "doctor" arrested recently after allegedly illegally dabbling in "butt-boosting" procedures is here. Don't miss the fairly worrisome mug shots - makes the Peruvian elongated skull look like something you see at the mall twice a week.

6. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

The large eye sockets could point to an ape of some type...Orangatans have really large eye sockets:

[​IMG]

7. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

Agreed. You can explain away the elongated head as binding, but the large eye sockets, teeth and overall size of the head in relation to the body are less easy dismiss.