Giant Squid, Filmed, and Caught

JBean said:
I had no idea. Hmm still a juvenile even at that size. interesting.
Not more than two weeks ago I watched a PBS program on this same Japanese team, where they photographed a female squid, which had gotten hooked on the bait they were using to lure a giant squid in. After being hooked for a considerably lengthy period of time, that squid chewed through the tentacle that was snagged, and the Japanese crew eventually retrieved the line with 15 foot tentacle still attached. This same team has been working at this for 3 years, or so. They had figured out, by the movement of feeding whales (the whales feed on the giant squid) and how deep they were when they were feeding, where they would find the squid--turns out the depth of the squid was in a very narrow range of depths, i.e. between 2,000 and 2,300 feet, so that 300 feet is where they set-up their cameras, lights, bait, etc. to be the first to film the giant squid, and then be the first to capture one, but again, it took them years of dedication. It's pretty fascinating, as the giant squid have been known about forever, but never filmed, or intentionally caught.

Buzzm1 said:
Not more than two weeks ago I watched a PBS program on this same Japanese team, where they photographed a female squid, which had gotten hooked on the bait they were using to lure a giant squid in. After being hooked for a considerably lengthy period of time, that squid chewed through the tentacle that was snagged, and the Japanese crew eventually retrieved the line with 15 foot tentacle still attached. This same team has been working at this for 3 years, or so. They had figured out, by the movement of feeding whales (the whales feed on the giant squid) and how deep they were when they were feeding, where they would find the squid--turns out the depth of the squid was in a very narrow range of depths, i.e. between 2,000 and 2,300 feet, so that 300 feet is where they set-up their cameras, lights, bait, etc. to be the first to film the giant squid, and then be the first to capture one, but again, it took them years of dedication. It's pretty fascinating, as the giant squid have been known about forever, but never filmed, or intentionally caught.
wow,I don't know anything about these creatures, but i am certainly intrigued.

JBean said:
wow,I don't know anything about these creatures, but i am certainly intrigued.
Do you remember the old pictures of a giant squid attacking an old wooden ship--that's how they first thought about the giant squid, becuaue they knew of them, at least that long ago.

All you can eat Calamari anyone?
tongue.gif

Malapoo said:
All you can eat Calamari anyone?
tongue.gif
I hope they don't open up a season for trophy fishermen; they'll have the giant squid depopulated, and going extinct, in no time; worse yet, open fishing for them for the commercial market; can you imagine??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back