Gilgo Beach 4 Only (GB4)

Discussion in 'Long Island Serial Killer' started by Peter Brendt, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Mountain_Kat

Mountain_Kat Heca, Firimar !

We already have a thread for just the GB4. Is there some reason we've started another one?

2. PreciousDust

PreciousDust Active Member

Y'know, I guess that should be obvious, though it took me about a week before it occurred to me; at the outset it was almost a disqualifier for me, though people with money don't generally live in midtown (and the POI had money). As I've been following the case for less than a month, I'm bound to come up with some doozy statements (over the last couple of days I've been reading some of the LISK threads here to bring me up to snuff a bit).

A bit less than 2 miles if you choose the "walking" option in Google maps.

Thanks, but I don't want to say or think that it's necessarily the greatest lead since Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird"; sometimes I feel that my POI seems so obvious that he's surely been looked at and eliminated as a possibility by LE, other times I feel that there's probably so many people who fit the profile, and that my enthusiasm is some kind of myopia.

Along those lines (that it's just a lead, and I'm not here to make a big deal about it), I'd like to apologize to Mr. Brendt for hijacking his thread!

3. alaskanblue

alaskanblue Member

PreciousDust-I'm sure that there are alot of people who fit the profile that they've looked at, however it really sounds like your POI is a fairly strong candidate to be LISK. It's good to be restrained in the enthusiasm department on your lead. I hope that you hear from the Suffolk PD detective sometime soon. As far as researching the case, WS is probably the best place to do so. There is a treasure trove of information here. If you haven't seen the 48 Hours Mystery and the A&E special shows on LISK, they are interesting, though fairly general.

4. inspctrgadget

inspctrgadget Inactive

I think this would help the search for the perp, but would utterly destroy any chance for a conviction. Its not what you know, its what you can prove. If you have a positive voice lineup where MB's sister can positively ID the SK, that's powerful evidence that can be used against the perp. Without any DNA or eyewitnesses, the killer's voice is perhaps the only evidence that we've got. Releasing this would destroy any opportunity for a voice lineup. In this case, we don't have any other evidence like floppy disks, etc. At least not that we're aware of.

5. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

Do you have a direct contact? Or a suggestion? Because the regular tipp hotline of the FBI is even more stuffed than SCPD's.

6. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

That referred to the car question. This unsub would drive an American made pickup or SUV, more likely a pickup because the timeline originally indicating some work in landscaping and/or construction.

He made a number of phone calls to Melissa Barthelmy's sister and her bf/pimp, made some stories up what he did sexually to her sister and so on. But the recurring line appears to be always this thing about where her lifestyle had brought Melissa and where Amanda's lifestyle would bring her. That's a thinking pattern that is often (but not exclusively) ingrained with some kind of at least half religious upbringing. And get me right here, religious includes Christian, but also Muslim or Jewish. Those religions all share this sometimes overly pious disgust for prostitutes. The other thing they share is the use of burlap and hair shirts as a tool for penance and punishment for vanity.

7. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

Sean, I can't be 100% certain at this point. There is still some variety in height. Now, smaller victims means at first, lighter bodies. He wouldn't need so long arms and that much strength to lift them for example from a truck bed and carry them into those brushes. This reduces his minimum height by a little. On the other hand, normally the small men go easier for the tall girls while the tall men often like the smaller girls. Or as my granddad, himself 6'2" worded it: "Take the small ones, those you can take under the arm and carry away in case of danger" (I admit, it loses in translation).
    Another aspect is, a victimology that wide but in ethnicity consistent and without any other thing in common, indicates an underlying racial motive. I've listed reference cases several times. However, with the appearance of another trait, they have in common, it can be, but it doesn't have to, that this is part of the selection scheme, or part of it as one of several factors. I mean, it can't be too hard to find petite prostitutes of other ethnicities in NYC? So the subject is not off the table, but the door for other options is open.

8. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

When Cruz was interviewed, he said, that MW lived in his place in the Bronx. Also mentioned in several articles and in 48 Hours, they visited LI about twice a months for "serving" the LI customers.

9. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

Jessica Taylor (and the other dismembered victims), you can find in the Manorville Butcher thread.

10. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

Because this is "GB4 ONLY" to make sure, it's not taken over by the SG foul play and thus give an opportunity to discuss the GB4.

11. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

No worries, a POI for the GB4 murders certainly fits the subject of a "GB4 only" thread.

12. Seaslug44

Seaslug44 Active Member

Exactly! And We don't have a GB-4 only thread (yet it seems like this one already is being hijacked).

13. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

Of course, I'm not sure, which of the following list was already messed up by SCPD, but technically:

• Traffic cam tapes would show him in the time frame of 72 hours after the disappearance of each victim show entering the islands (passing the causeway) and about two hours later on the way back.
    • Traffic cams would also show him around May 15th of each year and probably around Sept. 30th of each year on the same trip.
    • He would also have drawn (or should have) for occasionally rolling along slow the expressway near to the dump site.
    • Since he is probably still killing and has just a new dump site, not far from the old one, his vehicle could still hold forensic evidence like DNA traces from victims later Amber Lynn Costello.
    • He would have a place either in the outskirts of NYC or LI near NYC, not too far from the Expressway out to the islands, which he uses as kill site. Witnesses would have mentioned he can get pretty upset if someone steps in there.
    • In this place, in a box, a shelf or hidden behind a little drywall, from the entrance seen on the left, there would be a small bag or chest with his souvenirs. Those souvenirs would include maybe jewelry and IDs of the victims but most likely cell phones and stills or video of the act of killing and if he found any way to be in this pictures during the kill, he will be in there.
    • LE didn't release it, but I doubt, the victims were manually strangled. So somewhere would be a cord or belt in this kill site which still holds DNA traces in form of skin cells of several victims.
    • Witnesses would maybe also noticed him to have burned "something" and in the back of his kill site or another place he owns, forensics will find remains of ashes from burned clothes.

And that's only what comes to my mind on the top of my head. IF they get him, it wouldn't be hard to make a case at all, especially, since there is a good chance, he will talk anyway. The world needs to know his story, does it?

14. Seaslug44

Seaslug44 Active Member

Once again your story is interesting but off-topic. Maybe start a new discussion topic or move it over here;

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134806"]The Rumor Mill -- unsubstantiated, yet possible relevant information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

15. PreciousDust

Although I'm unfamiliar with general SK profiles, I can certainly understand how a person who's been indoctrinated with severe dogma may wind up sexually repressed and scornful towards those who flaunt their sexuality. I wonder if there could also be a different kind of SK, though, almost of an opposite nature outwardly than the repressed SK, one who through behavior and occupational choices actively promotes amorality, yet also harbors resentment to women in general; publicly he might seem to be almost celebrating women with uninhibited natures, but privately he objectifies and demeans them (and, potentially, does worse than that). Maybe that type of killer would be an "organized" one, able to efficiently compartmentalize his dual natures so that he can continue to function. And, in that example, perhaps a flash-point for him might be some deep-seated conflict he has about his mother, a conflict he doesn't understand and which tears away at him, and from which he finds some short-term relief through killing. I'd think that if that "type" of SK exists, he could be hard to spot (and catch).

16. PreciousDust

Covered elsewhere I"m sure but, besides the different schedules that an owner of a home on Oak Beach or along Captree could keep without necessarily appearing on those cam tapes at expected times, what would prevent a boat from making the trip from anywhere along the mainland from, say, Lindenhurst to Bay Shore? It's a short trip, Great South Bay is shallow and usually calm - even a small boat would have no problem with it. Is the impediment that it's unrealistic that bodies could be dragged from the Gilgo (bayside) shore to where they were found?

17. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

Well, in fact, a lot of them has been caught. This description fits for example Bundy (as half-organized variant) or Ridgway (as low organized variant). It's not too rare, kind of garden variety sexual psychopath.

18. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

If he would have a boat (and keep in mind, money doesn't necessarily mean to be able to use a boat), he would have sunk the bodies off the beach somewhere. His dump site is a drive-by type, means, any defined spot in the ocean would serve as well. Unless the SK has no boat or is for example plagued enough by seasickness to not enjoy those revisits at sea.

19. PreciousDust

The idea that the SK wanted the bodies found, is that off the table?

20. Peter Brendt

Peter Brendt New Member

For LISK, as far as I'm concerned, yes, it's off the table. Manorville is a different story.