Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this expected?
Not unexpected and certainly not unusual when a new County Executive takes office, in many counties all over this country, the new County Executive appoints their choice to offices.
My gut reaction is that this is another blow to the case.
The case is in the hands of the prosecution and the homicide detectives/LE will be assisting when it goes to trial, presenting the evidence, etc. How do you think it is a "blow" to the case when you don't know who the new commissioner will be?
Yes, by some. Corruption runs deep in Suffolk County, NY.
What does this resignation and a new commissioner eventually being appointed have to do with corruption?

From the article;
"Steve Bellone, the incumbent County Executive, is not running due to term limits. This influenced Harrison’s decision, as he wants to allow the new County Executive the freedom to start fresh with a new commissioner."

Harrison addressed the different perspectives on the podcast with Joe Giaclone. Harrison considers it simply a difference of opinion, common with work colleagues.
10/24/2023 I really like Harrison's way of giving credit to everyone else. And that's everytime I've heard him speak. Not everyone is that generous with the credit.
I just watched the video w Harrison. My only question is he mentions all the groups part of his task force. I wonder why Nassau Police are never mentioned as part of the Task force?
Peaches torso was found in Hempstead lake State Patk. Asian Male and Karen Vergata’s skull were found in Jones Beach/Tobey Beach and RH lives in Massapequa Park, all of are Nassau County.

I would think the entire country would be shocked if they (the prosecution?) didn't continue with his prosecution. Do you have an example of persons charged with murder with substantial evidence that were then allowed to "walk" in this court's jurisdiction? Or of any other crime where a suspect is charged with a crime was allowed to walk there?
Nothing would surprise me in that county. It’s LE and criminal justice system are deeply flawed. Just look at the circle of people in both prosecution and defense for this case. Look at Burke and his history of corruption and cover ups. They’re all tied together, some having been involved in serious criminal activity, including drug use. Perhaps its more obvious to outsiders.

On the positive side, younger voters aren't going to tolerate this level of corruption. Things will change eventually.

Lawyer repping accused Gilgo Beach killer Rex Heuermann’s wife is an ex-con​

Last edited:

Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison announces surprise resignation months after catching suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer​

He's resigning probably because he took a promotions elsewhere

He's resigning probably because he took a promotions elsewhere
We don't know his reasoning.

Maybe you're right but I doubt it. Where do you go up from commissioner of a huge police department that happens to be making fast progress, credited mostly to you, on a high profile case?

I can't envision the promotion.

MOO

I just watched the video w Harrison. My only question is he mentions all the groups part of his task force. I wonder why Nassau Police are never mentioned as part of the Task force?
Peaches torso was found in Hempstead lake State Patk. Asian Male and Karen Vergata’s skull were found in Jones Beach/Tobey Beach and RH lives in Massapequa Park, all of are Nassau County.
That was frankly on my mind when Tierney jumped on front of a microphone in front of the accused murderers home LOCATED IN NASSAU, and proceeded to thank every agency with a mayoral smile except Nassau or local police. That media control, crowd control and traffic control all fell on Nassau departments, body parts found in Nassau not withstanding. It was weird.

MOO

That was frankly on my mind when Tierney jumped on front of a microphone in front of the accused murderers home LOCATED IN NASSAU, and proceeded to thank every agency with a mayoral smile except Nassau or local police. That media control, crowd control and traffic control all fell on Nassau departments, body parts found in Nassau not withstanding. It was weird.

MOO

I suppose the turf wars never really go away. This same department fought tooth and nail to prevent NY state police and FBI from looking over their shoulders. Maybe its a male, macho, law enforcement thing. JMO

There may still be a lot of things covered up, probably in all the jurisdictions out there.
It kind of reminds me of Jeffrey Epstein and the mysterious way his case was handled. JMO

Regardless, the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. The PTB can backpedal and spin, but some of the sordid details are now known to the public.

Last edited:
Nothing would surprise me in that county. It’s LE and criminal justice system are deeply flawed. Just look at the circle of people in both prosecution and defense for this case. Look at Burke and his history of corruption and cover ups. They’re all tied together, some having been involved in serious criminal activity, including drug use. Perhaps its more obvious to outsiders
Edit to add, the question I asked is what does corruption have to do with an expected change in the appointment of the commissioner when a new county executive is elected? It is a common practice in county governments and elections all over this country.

I do not see anything that will halt the prosecution of this serial killer, who you stated it would not surprise you if he was allowed to "walk". I don't see anything that warrants stating that it is even remotely possible. I fail to see how anything in those news articles is currently interfering with this case going to trial.

The articles you listed hardly show any widespread corruption or that the LE and criminal justice system there are "deeply flawed". MOO
I am an "outsider", I have never even been to that state.

"Some having been involved in serious criminal activity" I see a lot of accusations here without any specific information, the kind with evidence that could lead to actual charges being filed.
Allegedly. The articles don't articulate any specific crimes.
There may still be a lot of things covered up, probably in all the jurisdictions out there.
That's a very unfair, broad statement. MOO

Last edited:
Harrison is resigning. Hot diggity dang... this isn't shocking at all. The writing was on the wall though, Romaine (R) was going to fire him when elected. I would have put money down on that.

SCPD and Heuermann are breathing sighs of relief tonight.
Heuermann is being prosecuted for the murder of three women. MOO but I think it is widely believed that the evidence is unbeatable and he will die in prison.
I can't see Heuermann thinking a change of police commissioner is going to change his fate. How does it benefit him or affect the prosecution/prosecutor?

Heuermann is being prosecuted for the murder of three women. MOO but I think it is widely believed that the evidence is unbeatable and he will die in prison.
I can't see Heuermann thinking a change of police commissioner is going to change his fate. How does it benefit him or affect the prosecution/prosecutor?

Yeh, he and his lawyers know this one is over already.

I suppose the turf wars never really go away. This same department fought tooth and nail to prevent NY state police and FBI from looking over their shoulders. Maybe its a male, macho, law enforcement thing. JMO

It kind of reminds me of Jeffrey Epstein and the mysterious way his case was handled. JMO

Regardless, the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. The PTB can backpedal and spin, but some of the sordid details are now known to the public.
Sad. Hopefully this society is able to celebrate efforts of heroes like Rodney Harrisons and get away from accepting political games and corruption.

To me it's analogous to rape culture- boys will be boys vs. politics are politics. We don't have to accept corruption.

MOO

It benefits Heuermann if the investigation stalls at these charges of murder for three victims.

It benefits the prosecutor because it keeps the isolated power structure in SC more in tact, dispite a few glances on it in the convictions of a few like Spota and Burke.

Who is harmed? Those of us who want a LE system in SC that is actually focused on fighting crime rather than covering corruption.

If Heuermann had co-conspirators, as seems possible given the scenario with the woman who appears to have been Vergata, they escape justice by cooling off the investigation. Karen's family never gets to find out what happened or see justice done.

If Heuermann is or is not involved with Shannan, the coconspiritors in that murder escape justice and her family does not get to see justice served. Same for victims identified or unidentified, peaches, peaches jr., Asian individual, Valerie, Jessica....

there is a strong system developed protecting LE's insular power to operate corruptly without interference. It does not feel to me, in my opinion, that Tierney intends to help weaken it. It feels like he is trying to play both sides, courtroom hero since the damned task force made a convincing arrest, while also making efforts to keep "those meddling kids" from going deeper.

What does he gain for all that harm to the public?

It's simple: he remains a good ol' boy. <modsnip: Removed direct allegation> He will be immune to whatever harassment occurs to people like Rodney Harrison, who appear to value law enforcement over being a good ol' boy.

It's very disturbing that people make these decisions, but they do.<modsnip: Profanity is not allowed> I want to be DA for the rest of my career.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
It benefits Heuermann if the investigation stalls at these charges of murder for three victims.

It benefits the prosecutor because it keeps the isolated power structure in SC more in tact, dispite a few glances on it in the convictions of a few like Spota and Burke.

Who is harmed? Those of us who want a LE system in SC that is actually focused on fighting crime rather than covering corruption.

If Heuermann had co-conspirators, as seems possible given the scenario with the woman who appears to have been Vergata, they escape justice by cooling off the investigation. Karen's family never gets to find out what happened or see justice done.

If Heuermann is or is not involved with Shannan, the coconspiritors in that murder escape justice and her family does not get to see justice served. Same for victims identified or unidentified, peaches, peaches jr., Asian individual, Valerie, Jessica....

there is a strong system developed protecting LE's insular power to operate corruptly without interference. It does not feel to me, in my opinion, that Tierney intends to help weaken it. It feels like he is trying to play both sides, courtroom hero since the damned task force made a convincing arrest, while also making efforts to keep "those meddling kids" from going deeper.

What does he gain for all that harm to the public?

It's simple: he remains a good ol' boy. <modsnip: Removed direct allegation> He will be immune to whatever harassment occurs to people like Rodney Harrison, who appear to value law enforcement over being a good ol' boy.

It's very disturbing that people make these decisions, but they do.<modsnip: Profanity is not allowed> I want to be DA for the rest of my career.

MOO
How I hope you're wrong about Tierney. He has very good reason to be on the opposite side of the Spota-Burke group having been squeezed out of a job in the Spota regime. However, you are absolutely correct, Tierney must play politics in order to stay in office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hermann will never see the light of day, multiple convictions and life sentences will not change anything, three convictions is no different than 4 or 5 when you are convicted of murder.
A new commissioner is not going to change whether or not enough evidence exists for the prosecutor to charge him with any other murders. LE agencies frequently experience changes in Chiefs, Sheriffs, and Commissioners. There is nothing to show that a new commissioner is going to "stall" the investigation into the uncharged/unsolved homicides.

The prosecutor of this country was elected in 2021. The prosecutor answers to the citizens and not to a county executive or a commissioner. By all accounts, he is highly qualified and respected.
Burke was in office from 2012 to 2015 and he was prosecuted and convicted along with others who helped him obstruct justice. The corruption was not tolerated in that case, in my opinion.
It's now 2023, who is recently or now involved in cover-ups that will affect this case?

Hermann will never see the light of day, multiple convictions and life sentences will not change anything, three convictions is no different than 4 or 5 when you are convicted of murder.
A new commissioner is not going to change whether or not enough evidence exists for the prosecutor to charge him with any other murders. LE agencies frequently experience changes in Chiefs, Sheriffs, and Commissioners. There is nothing to show that a new commissioner is going to "stall" the investigation into the uncharged/unsolved homicides.

The prosecutor of this country was elected in 2021. The prosecutor answers to the citizens and not to a county executive or a commissioner. By all accounts, he is highly qualified and respected.
Burke was in office from 2012 to 2015 and he was prosecuted and convicted along with others who helped him obstruct justice. The corruption was not tolerated in that case, in my opinion.
It's now 2023, who is recently or now involved in cover-ups that will affect this case?

All of those murder victims and their families deserve justice. Their cases shouldn't go cold without a thorough investigation, nor should they be dismissed as "probably a tragic accident" just because they might reveal other killers who are walking around as free men on Long Island.

Recent evidence has revealed that Heuermann didn't always work alone, that he was part of a "network" (for lack of a better term) of creeps. There's evidence that hints Rex may have known another possible suspect involved in the "accidental death" of Shannan Gilbert (both were involved in the Survivalist hobby world).

The evidence that clearly linked Rex Heuermann to the deaths of several women laid inactive in a file box for 12 years until it was researched and followed up by an agent from the NY State Police. They caught Rex in 1 month with evidence that had been around for more than a decade. Assuming the LISK Task Force will be disbanded once Harrison has left, who will track down, arrest and prosecute the others who were involved in the LISK murders? The same people who allowed Rex Heuerman to live as a free man for 12 years?

All of those murder victims and their families deserve justice. Their cases shouldn't go cold without a thorough investigation, nor should they be dismissed as "probably a tragic accident" just because they might reveal other killers who are walking around as free men on Long Island.
My comment was only to do with what Huermann might think of the possibility of a new commissioner, not anyone else. I don't think he reacted with any "relief" at the announcement. The number of murders, beyond 3, that he is charged with is of no consequence to him.
That does not imply anything else.

The county executive has already assured that the investigation will continue unabated.

The tragedy of lack/delay of follow-up on information and physical evidence, in my opinion, is the fault of many but not the result of a conspiracy or corruption.

What you are calling "evidence" is so far, a lot of hearsay, when it comes to saying anyone in particular is an accomplice. But the task force is in place to investigate this information.
At any rate, in an ongoing investigation, we are not going to hear what has been found to be true or rumor any time soon.

My comment was only to do with what Huermann might think of the possibility of a new commissioner, not anyone else. I don't think he reacted with any "relief" at the announcement. The number of murders, beyond 3, that he is charged with is of no consequence to him.
That does not imply anything else.

The county executive has already assured that the investigation will continue unabated.

The tragedy of lack/delay of follow-up on information and physical evidence, in my opinion, is the fault of many but not the result of a conspiracy or corruption.

What you are calling "evidence" is so far, a lot of hearsay, when it comes to saying anyone in particular is an accomplice. But the task force is in place to investigate this information.
At any rate, in an ongoing investigation, we are not going to hear what has been found to be true or rumor any time soon.

A witness statement about a large man who looked like an ogre and his green colored truck wasn’t much stronger thane hearsay evidence, yet it brought them the name of Rex Heuermann. The witness , a friend of victim Amber Costello, who gave that description to a NY State Police detective in 2010 had to wait until 2022 for LE to call him back.

Many other witnesses have told of valid tips and information called in to SCPD with no call back, no interview. Will that magically change, especially if the multi agency task force is disbanded?

Tierny has already been dismissing the tips given recently, since Rex’s arrest. We’ve seen this movie before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay