Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not suggested anything that you write in this post. After following this case since 2011- thirteen years, there is a very long and well documented history of corruption in Suffolk County, NY. No one is suggesting that the current DA is corruptible. He was actually left the SC DA’s office after only a few years there. He went on to the federal branch of law.
To me, it seemed that your post was a comment about an ongoing "conversation" and that you attributed some opinions being held due to past events. I disagree that no one is suggesting the current DA is corruptible.
You stated that there is a long and well-documented history of corruption in Suffolk County, I disagree with this characterization and feel that others have repeatedly implied that it is widespread even today and will affect the prosecution and continued investigation. Indeed, one person said because of corruption, they wouldn't be surprised if they let RH walk!. There have been a number of posts bashing Tierney.

How about this commentary about Tierney limiting the investigation and hoping the other victims are forgotten about:

"He would keep powerful friends on his side by: Not exposing whatever went down with the Oak Beach investigation and 911 responses, not exposing any more than has already been exposed about the investigation into Shannan's murder being basically dropped (while claiming the 911 call had to be held by LE because of an active investigation)."

ADMIN NOTE:

This thread is about the victims and the alleged perp, Rex Heuermann.

Politicizing is a violation of TOS, so please move on from the political commentary. Also stop the disparaging comments about the DA when there are no links to support, and nothing on which to base such speculative theory.

Thanks.

Recent evidence has revealed that Heuermann didn't always work alone, that he was part of a "network" (for lack of a better term) of creeps.
I don't recall stating to you that Rex H had an accomplice in the murders. That hasn't yet been proven, but its suspected in some cases.

You said recent evidence has revealed that he didn't always work alone.

MOO It isn't really evidence and has not revealed that he didn't "work" alone. I'm guessing you mean it's suspected by the attorney Ray?

From the article;
"Ray believes that Heuermann, who has not yet been officially connected to the aforementioned victims, may not have acted alone in his alleged crimes."

Gilgo Beach probe will continue unabated after top cop ...

View attachment 458287
Newsday
https://www.newsday.com › Long Island › Crime

You should read the below articles about what will happen to the task force and what the position is on "tips"

Everyone would be surprised if the task force was dissolved, the county executive, who is elected to the highest office in the county, has already stated that it would continue on with its work. Do you have some reason to doubt his statement?

Tips are often left on a recording, the manpower required to answer tip phone lines is not doable. 911 communication centers are understaffed and most all police depts are short on personnel. This is standard even in the best of times. Many people want to leave a message and not talk to an actual person who will ask questions.

If there is a victim of a crime where RH is going to be accused of assault, that victim must make a police report and agree to assist with prosecution. A witness cannot report/describe a crime they saw and have it simply result in charges when a victim exists. If they don't have specific information that the prosecutor can use for these murders, it is not evidence in the murder case.

You should read this article. It clearly states what the task force will be doing with the tips. It clearly states tips are being researched.

Yes, I’ve read articles. I know what has been said about the task force. I’m expressing concern about what might happen to that task force once the person who created it has left. JMO there are no guarantees.

To clarify, at Websleuths, JMO means “just my opinion”.

Witness testimony, once submitted, verified and fully investigated, can become evidence to be used for arrests and trials. In fact, it’s how most crimes are solved.
Most law enforcement agencies solicit tips from the public to solve crimes. When they receive these tips, they discuss the information with the person who submitted it.

It is a fact that very important tips given to SCPD about Rex Heuermann and his car were not followed up for 11 years. Fortunately those tips were discovered by a NY State Police investigator who used them to identify Heuermann within a few weeks time.

Last edited:
This is an opinion piece, but it gives a view of one of the authors who wrote a book and did a documentary about the LISK murders. It helps to understand the background and history of the murders and investigation.

As to corruption in Suffolk County, NY. The history of several important characters within this case and people in government, LE and in Oak Beach is all very well documented. It’s possible that there are people in important positions that do not want any connection to RH or Gilgo Beach to be exposed.I will leave it at that to avoid ruffling feathers.

Also, this might be about money. If SC can limit the number of investigations into possible connections of the other six or seven bodies found on the parkway and the remains of other UID bodies, they will save money. That might be a part of the equation as far as ignoring certain tips.
Right.

It does get a little tiresome to spoon-feed this well-documented information.

Stay positive. (Which can be a struggle- and I'm by no means able to do so as often as I wish.) But some unheroic people, like Tierney IMO, are not criminals or interested in tarnishing their reputations. They are the people to hold accountabLE and focus on, because they will respond to the pressure. Criminals are going to crime. Heroes are going to hero. Then there are those who will only step up if we expect them to. The most productive thing to do is to have reasonable expectations and hold them firmly.

I have every right to expect that LE take tips seriously, and push to find justice for every victim. I'm going to exercise that right. Stateing that Tierney was inappropriate IMO in his behavior of ignoring tip line problems and showing hostility to the very promising tips he received, especially for victims Shannan and Karen, is being an engaged citizen, and an advocate for victims. If Tierney does not show interest in that information, he will have no business prancing around the courtroom self-righteously, pretending he cares about justice, while prosecuting 3/4 of the Gilgo 4.

MOO

I'm wondering, who wants to take a job as top LE, if he has to start with the investigation of an old serial killer, who became discovered a decade too late through corruption, has probably acquaintances (if not like-minded "friends") in high places, who have a reputation to lose, and seems pretty relaxed the whole time?

Yes, I’ve read articles. I know what has been said about the task force. I’m expressing concern about what might happen to that task force once the person who created it has left. JMO there are no guarantees.

To clarify, at Websleuths, JMO means “just my opinion”.

Witness testimony, once submitted, verified and fully investigated, can become evidence to be used for arrests and trials. In fact, it’s how most crimes are solved.
Most law enforcement agencies solicit tips from the public to solve crimes. When they receive these tips, they discuss the information with the person who submitted it.

It is a fact that very important tips given to SCPD about Rex Heuermann and his car were not followed up for 11 years. Fortunately those tips were discovered by a NY State Police investigator who used them to identify Heuermann within a few weeks time.
It's a fact that the case was terribly mismanaged. Tragic that evidence wasn't processed and information wasn't followed up. It's been said many many times and I haven't seen anyone disputing it.

I don't see this negating the work currently being done by the task force or impacting the stated commitments (by the county executive and DA) to continue the investigation of any new information and other unsolved/uncharged cases.

Right now, since 4 murders have been attributed to RH and 3 murder charges are already in court, no "tips" are needed to solve those murders.

Attorney Ray may not be satisfied with assurances that everything will be looked at, he also might not be satisfied with the possibility that his information is not pertinent to the murders or isn't evidence for a separate crime.

He certainly would know that a witness to an upset person, possibly assaulted, the claims about RH's wife and being at a swinger party, is not going to result in any legal action without identified cooperative witnesses and an actual crime being committed. I don't know what the public would like to see done at this point, we can't be advised of the status of the investigation into Ray's allegations.

I'm wondering, who wants to take a job as top LE, if he has to start with the investigation of an old serial killer, who became discovered a decade too late through corruption, has probably acquaintances (if not like-minded "friends") in high places, who have a reputation to lose, and seems pretty relaxed the whole time?
It takes someone with a sturdy spine, sharp focus, and the ability to stomach facing corruption while carefully spot Cleaning, taking care not to flush out otherwise good team members who can bring the investigation forward in a protected environment, but can't do it and cope with active campaigns to corrupt them simultaneously. (Those will be the people who quit or retire and say they loved their jobs if it weren't for all the politics. The new commissioner has to keep them on, and protect them from politics.)

They have to be a very inspiring leader, and able to respond to and encourage only the good in people who want to investigate. In Rodney Harrison's case, it tended to be described as "class."

There are plenty of people who just go along to get along, and a fine leader will create an environment where their going along is helpful, not part of a cover up of corruption. The go along to get along persons could be some of the most productive and helpful team members. But they would not be good for this position of leadership. (And, of course! It's not the leaders who do the mass of real work, no matter the organization.)

The go along/get along person will be a bad incumbent for this SCPD Commissioner position, because it appears the pressures to stiffle the investigation are strong still. For example, when Rodney Harrison and John Ray presented evidence, there was a swift angry response, that included an impossibe directive. (Bring tips to LE, when that has not worked for tipsters). The rebuke inaccurately discredited the tip information. (Info via a victims' attorney is not as pure as from the FBI, perhaps, but it is hardly damaged goods. Ray has never been discredited with facts, and it's not like he represents the defendant. And he has supplied information better than journalists, because he has been able to put some witnesses under oath).

Rodney Harrison was right that progress was made before him, and that progress can continue to be made after him. It will take a strong Commissioner. It will take the public to hold those charged with doing justice to do just that.

MOO

Edited because my writing was less clear than usual, lol. Any question, ask and I'll supply a rambling explanation. It's what I do.

Last edited:
For starters, here are some examples of what employees were paid in that county, in 2021, the most recent year available it seems. When you look at the list, and see so many officers making more than the ranking officers, keep in mind, that they can make a lot of overtime. The salaried appointments do not.

At least one serial killer is already in trial, and the task force is already in place. I think a new police commissioner would have a tremendous advantage.

I think the county executive will recruit someone, they don't have time for a long selection process.
I think many ranking officers, like unit/precinct commanders and above from lower paying depts, would apply for this position, but a qualified person would already be far into their career. A significant earnings increase for several years will boost your social security benefits too.

Michael Sharkey
Deputy Sheriff (Chief)$223,524

Steven Bellone
County Executive$222,124

Rodney Harrison was right that progress was made before him, and that progress can continue to be made after him. It will take a strong Commissioner. It will take the public to hold those charged with doing justice to do just that.
Yes, I think he was good at spearheading this effort, but hopefully there's a good reason his talents will be used elsewhere. I mean, here's to hoping anyway. And things are decidedly more on course now than they were before 2021. The only concern I have, really, is that the non-Gilgo4 victims get justice, regardless of family involvement etc but simply because they were human beings.

This was, quite obviously, a serial-killer case. The only person not saying as much was the Suffolk County police commissioner, Richard Dormer. “I don’t want anyone to think we have a Jack the Ripper running around Suffolk County with blood dripping from a knife,” he said in a frenzied news conference. In fact, they had something almost exactly like that. All eyes were on the Suffolk Police now — wondering who killed these women, if they would ever find Gilbert and what it would take to solve the mystery.

As to corruption in Suffolk County, NY. The history of several important characters within this case and people in government, LE and in Oak Beach is all very well documented. It’s possible that there are people in important positions that do not want any connection to RH or Gilgo Beach to be exposed.I will leave it at that to avoid ruffling feathers.

Also, this might be about money. If SC can limit the number of investigations into possible connections of the other six or seven bodies found on the parkway and the remains of other UID bodies, they will save money. That might be a part of the equation as far as ignoring certain tips.
Every single victim murdered by RH deserves to be named and investigated. These families and loved ones have a right to answers that have been denied them far, far too long. Justice delayed, is Justice denied.

MOO

Every single victim murdered by RH deserves to be named and investigated. These families and loved ones have a right to answers that have been denied them far, far too long. Justice delayed, is Justice denied.

MOO

I agree with you 100%. What would be dangerous, though, would be for LE and the DA to try to prosecute RH for crimes he either didn't commit, or that can't be proven that he committed. If there's any evidence linking him to Shannan Gilbert, or Jessica Taylor or Karen Vergata , etc. I haven't seen it. Meanwhile, we have Maureen Brainard Barnes, who in all likelihood, was a victim of RH, and LE are STILL trying to find enough evidence to convict him in her case.

4 known victims...Megan, Amber , Melissa, and Maureen. Let's start there.

All MOO

I agree with you 100%. What would be dangerous, though, would be for LE and the DA to try to prosecute RH for crimes he either didn't commit, or that can't be proven that he committed. If there's any evidence linking him to Shannan Gilbert, or Jessica Taylor or Karen Vergata , etc. I haven't seen it. Meanwhile, we have Maureen Brainard Barnes, who in all likelihood, was a victim of RH, and LE are STILL trying to find enough evidence to convict him in her case.

All MOO
Agreed, it's going to take time to further develop evidence, but I have no doubt that they'll continue to try and bring charges to RH where is is responsible. As they should IMO.

MOO

All MOO
That is hardly a danger. There is no reason to fear that an affidavit is going to be a reason the DA says, hey, let's try ol' Rex on this one, too.

Tierney certainly has the skill set and professional knowledge that he gets one shot at prosecution.

There are the GB4, with a suspect/defendant in custody. It's started. But I think you are dangerously close to suggesting, let's stop there.

We don't know how tangentially or how deeply connected Heuermann is to Vergata and Gilbert. But he is a witness. If he were willing, he could at least confirm or refute or add details to the information now offered. He probably won't, as he is charged with murder now. Yet it is good information as a starting point to gather more information which could very well develop to identify any suspect or suspects. Not necessarily Rex. And if more information develops that does put pressure on Rex, he might begin to have more reason to start talking to negotiate the quality his life serving his anticipated life sentence.

What if these leads make it clear that there is a co conspirator? Would it be fair for Rex to to the only one to go down (if convicted) for the GB4?

It seems you are trying to say that following these leads is some kind of distraction? Is that your point? Because if so, I'm at a loss. It seems that this information is material to possibly bring justice for additional victims, with only the possibility of enhancing information about the GB4 murders, and no possibility of harming the prosecution.

Serious question: what could be negative about following leads?

MOO

All MOO

All of the deaths need to be fully investigated and all parties involved should be revealed, regardless of who they are.

Follow the evidence and witnesses.

All of the deaths need to be fully investigated and anyone charged with a crime would be made public.
"All parties involved" sounds subjective to me.

I'm pretty sure investigating all parties involved is standard operating procedure for murder investigations. Officers, detectives, etc. talk to anyone and everyone who might have information. They go where the evidence and witnesses lead them.

For example, if a gang of thugs kills someone in the course of robbing them, the police don't stop with arresting the first gang member they can make a case against. Same goes for organized crime, etc. Just examples.

Here's a random example I just pulled up from the search "three men arrested for murder of". You could do the same using two or four, etc.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure investigating all parties involved is standard operating procedure for murder investigations. Officers, detectives, etc. talk to anyone and everyone who might have information. They go where the evidence and witnesses lead them.

For example, if a gang of thugs kills someone in the course of robbing them, the police don't stop with arresting the first gang member they can make a case against. Same goes for organized crime, etc. Just examples.

Here's a random example I just pulled up from the search "three men arrested for murder of". You could do the same using two or four, etc.

Yes, like I said, all those involved that are charged with a crime, as in your example. Arrests and court filings are public records that don't need to be "revealed".
Not the same as wanting "all parties involved names to be revealed, regardless of who they are" when that could mean a lot of things.
Edit correct quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member