Girl, 12, 'interrogated' by school staff until she gives up Facebook password

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Jacie Estes, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Jacie Estes

Jacie Estes Medical Marijuana Advocate

The girl was allegedly called to a meeting with a deputy sheriff, school counsellor and an unidentified employee, where she was intimidated into giving up her login and passwords to her Facebook and e-mail accounts.

‘R.S. was extremely nervous and being called out of class and being interrogated,’ the lawsuit says. It adds that the officials did not have permission from R.S.'s mother to view her private communications, and gave her a hard time about some of the material they discovered.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ff-gives-Facebook-password.html#ixzz1p0GG5Jeg

2. Loading...

3. josie1986

josie1986 Verified Juanette

What happened to freedom of speech I don't see the problem they had with this,especially to interrogate her into giving them her passwords. IMO it wasn't posted from school property So it wasn't anything to do with them.

She posted that she didn't like an adult hall monitor cause she was mean.....am I the only one that doesn't see anything wrong with that? Are we not allowed to form our own opinions of other people now? Jeezo.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

4. Velouria

Velouria Don't Drink the Pinellas Punch!

I'm often of the opinion that parents are overreacting when I see a lawsuit filed against a child's school, but in this case I would be disappointed if they didn't sue. This is outrageous. :furious:

5. Misfitdolly

Misfitdolly New Member

Something like this happened to my son, when his phone was taken away because he let a friend use it and she got caught. The principal called me in and told me he had read ALL of my son's text msgs and said I should be concerned because there were messages of a sexual nature. I read the messages and the only one that had anything to do with sex was from his 16 yr old friend who was saying that when his girlfriend visited from out of town the next summer he was going to have sex with her. Now tell me, how is it any of my business that my son's friend is going to have sex? It didn't occur to me until someone brought it up when I told the story that the principal had absolutely no right to read my son's text msgs. My son always had good grades and had never been in trouble in school. I could see if he was accused of bullying, maybe. I regret not having pursued the matter by making a complaint but by the time I realized it was against my son's rights some time had gone by.

I can't believe this happened to this poor girl. I hope her parents do sue. They had absolutely no right to make her tell them her password!

6. Nova

Nova New Member

Obviously, educators are under a lot of pressure, but I swear it seems like every day a teacher or principal has a psychotic break somewhere.

7. Wise Old Owl

Wise Old Owl Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL

Age restriction on facebook is 13. She was 12. Somebody lied - did parents condone this lie? Or did the girl just open the account herself?

JMHO

8. LunaticFringe

LunaticFringe I know you're out there...

A 12 year old has no business with a Facebook account period.

9. tlcya

tlcya Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

while my 11 (going on 12) year old has no and will not have a facebook account anytime soon, I must say, the school had no business doing this. None.

:moo:

10. AnaTeresa

AnaTeresa New Member

It's not like you have to pass a security clearance to create a Facebook page. Way back when I was a kid (using dial up!), I clicked through those "13 and up" or "18 and up" questions all the time, without even stopping to ask my parents. It's like reading the fine print when you download a program onto your computer - everyone clicks through and no one reads it.

11. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

A lawsuit? Of course if she would have come to school with a gun or some kind of weapon then everyone would be saying why didn't anyone pay attention to what she had to say. Instead of suing the parents should look into why this child thinks she needs a facebook page at the age of 12, and why she hates the school monitor and why she thinks the school monitor picks on her and hates her? I think the school had every right to investigate this child's feeling that the monitor is a threat. Kids need to be kids, life goes to fast as it is.

12. legalmania

I just had to laugh because you have small print at the bottom of your page and I do read the small print, that's where they hide all the loopholes.

13. Velouria

I agree. My 11 year-old already knows she will NOT be getting one any time in the foreseeable future and doesn't seem to want one. However, it's MY business to monitor her online activities, and NOT within the purview of school administrators.

I can practically guarantee you that if the school had requested the password from Facebook on the grounds that she is underage they would have been told to get bent.

14. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

What threats? :waitasec:

15. legalmania

Even if the child is talking about an adult at the school in a negative way?

16. prayers4missing

prayers4missing Justice for Travis

Thanks wasn't enough! Excellent post.

So the girl had been called into the office twice prior to this incident, and both times it was for posts she was making on facebook. I don't think the school was wrong, and I have a 12 year old girl at home right now. If this were my daughter I would be more upset that after being talked to twice about her postings on facebook she was still making inappropriate comments.

Look IMO if your going to let your kid have a facebook then you need to make sure they realize that every single thing they post is going to follow them around forever! MOO

17. tlcya

tlcya Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

BBM

Thank you, I totally agree with this

18. legalmania

19. angelmom

Seriously? If we printed out all the comments on social media about "Mr. So-and-so hates me!" or "Math with Mrs. Whatshername sux!" there wouldn't be a tree left on the planet.

IIRC and from observing my own teens and their friends, it's practically a requirement before you're allowed to graduate.

20. Velouria

YES.

Why weren't this girl's parents contacted and brought in to meet with administrators before calling in LE to intimidate her?

21. angelmom