Girl, 12, 'interrogated' by school staff until she gives up Facebook password

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Jacie Estes, Mar 13, 2012.

1. ohiogirl

ohiogirl Active Member

was he applying for work with the CIA? lol

2. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

Did they tell him if he didn't sign it he wouldn't get the job? He may not want to spend the money but I would get an attorneys advice. Personally I would sign it and then just mess with them, like leaving something that looked like blood around the trunk. Or keep adult toys in the trunk, that's just me though.

3. legalmania

I know this and Mark Zukenburg thinks that it shouldn't be an issue. Of course after a hacker got a hold of some of his personal pictures he may be rethinking a few things.

4. Garland

Garland Member

This. You have to be at least 13 in order to have a Facebook account.

5. Soulmagent

Soulmagent Well-Known Member

No . But would I really know if my husband worked for the CIA? Is that a
    your job is a secret kinda job?

No they didnt say that because I think the wording of the paper work made it clear and virginia being a right to work state(which the application also pointed out) .

6. sherbetjello

sherbetjello Where is Kyron?

Awesome, awesome post!

7. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I realize I am very late to the game but you are very right kgeaux. Here's the relevant part of the text of COPPA:
    http://www.ftc.gov/ogc/coppa1.htm

Nothing at all in there states children are not allowed to participate in social media sites.

8. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

By Mike Rosenberg
    mrosenberg@mercurynews.com
    Posted: 09/27/2012 03:10:27 PM PDT
    Updated: 09/27/2012 04:49:44 PM PDT
    SACRAMENTO -- California, home to many of the world's social media companies, now has the nation's strictest privacy laws preventing your boss or college from surfing through the personal information you post on sites like Facebook.
    It will be illegal for companies or universities to ask for access to your personal social media or email accounts under two bills signed Thursday by Gov. Jerry Brown.
    "The Golden State is pioneering the social media revolution, and these laws will protect all Californians from unwarranted invasions of their personal social media accounts," Brown said in a statement.
    Recent accounts of employers asking for personal passwords or requiring applicants to open their Facebook pages during interviews sparked the new laws.
    Companies and universities are increasingly trying to keep tabs on workers and students -- and vet prospective hires and admissions -- by monitoring their personal pages like Twitter and Google (GOOG)+ to see if they've posted anything like drunk photos or insensitive comments. But many people block public access to these posts through privacy settings. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/bus...email-passwords-made-private-under-california

9. LinasK

By Natasha Singer

New York Times

Posted: 09/27/2012 06:38:43 PM PDT
    Updated: 09/27/2012 06:38:43 PM PDT
    Federal regulators are about to take the biggest steps in more than a decade to protect children online.
    The moves come at a time when major corporations, app developers and data miners appear to be collecting information about the online activities of millions of young Internet users without their parents' awareness, children's advocates say. Some sites and apps have also collected details like the photographs or codes on mobile devices; the concern is that the information could be used to identify or locate individual children.
    These data-gathering practices are currently legal. But the development has so alarmed officials at the Federal Trade Commission that the agency is moving to overhaul rules that many experts say have not kept pace with the explosive growth of the Web and innovations like apps. New rules are expected within weeks.<snip> The current federal rule, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, requires operators of websites to obtain parental consent before they collect personal information like phone numbers or physical addresses from children under 13. But rapid advances in technology have overtaken the rules, privacy advocates say.
    "When we tell parents about this they are appalled, because basically what it's doing is going around the parents' back and taking advantage of kids' naiveté," said Jennifer Harris, the director of marketing initiatives at the Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity. "It's a very unfair and deceptive practice that we don't think companies should be allowed to do."
    Under the FTC's proposals, some current online practices, like getting children under 13 to submit photos of themselves, would require parental consent. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_...contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

10. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

11. kgeaux

kgeaux New Member

12. ohiogirl

ohiogirl Active Member

I agree, good!

13. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

:smile:
    Great!!!

14. LinasK

From the article: First Amendment claims: The court has no trouble concluding that assuming the facts as alleged as true, school officials violated R.S.’s First Amendment rights. The court says that posts on social networks are protected unless they are “true threats” or are reasonably calculated to reach the school environment and pose a safety risk or a risk of substantial disruption of the school environment. R.S.’s posts were not true threats. Even assuming the statements were reasonably calculated to reach the school audience, there was no possibility of disruption.

That's what I said!!!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

15. legalmania

In my opinion this shows that the A.C.L.U. is unsure of their position on this case, had they went straight to the Federal court instead of the District Court this case would hold more volume. I have a feeling we have not head the last of this case. It definitely belongs in the Supreme Court. When I went through the many pages of this case, I saw I had a case on April 20 I won that case. Yeah me.

16. RoseRed

RoseRed Former Member

17. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Well-Known Member

I have the feeling people would feel differently if what was asked for was a banking PIN number !

Oh and for the record, her previous two detentions I do not agree with either.

18. LinasK

By Zach Epstein | BGR News &#8211; Tue, Jan 1, 2013
    New laws that took effect on January 1st, 2013 make it illegal for employers to demand access to their workers&#8217; password-protected Facebook (FB) accounts. After some high-profile instances of companies requiring access to employees&#8217; accounts, Congress was asked to consider a law making such demands illegal on the grounds that they constitute an invasion of privacy. Congress blocked the law, however its decision had no bearing on laws being considered at the state level. Now, California and Illinois have become the first two states to make it expressly illegal for employers to make such demands, Reuters reports. more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/law-makes-illegal-employers-california-illinois-demand-facebook-190557440.html

19. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

ACLU wins settlement for sixth-grader's Facebook posting
    Article by: CURT BROWN , Star Tribune
    Updated: March 25, 2014 - 11:06 PM

ACLU sued Minnewaska school after sixth-grader was forced to give up password.

"In this latest free-speech legal clash between schools and students over murky rules governing social media privacy, Minnewaska Area Schools agreed to pay $70,000 in damages and rewrite its policies to limit how intrusive the school can be when searching a student’s e-mails and social media accounts created off school grounds.

The federal court settlement comes just after Rogers High School senior Reid Sagehorn, a 17-year-old honor student and football captain, was suspended for seven weeks for a two-word Internet posting in a case that created a community uproar.

“A lot of schools, like the folks at Minnewaska, think that just because it’s easier to know what kids are saying off campus through social media somehow means the rules have changed, and you can punish them for what they say off campus,” said attorney Wallace Hilke, who helped lead Riley’s case from the Minnesota branch of the American Civil Liberties Union."

More...

http://www.startribune.com/local/252263751.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

20. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member