Girl wins contest with false essay about soldier dad...

This thread has been about whether the prize should be awarded to this mother and daughter and about the poor role model the mother has been in this incident. No one here has seriously said anything about taking away the child. Now, if you look on other threads and the mom's bebo page, you see some really disturbing remarks. But we are all sensible here.:)

I'm only half joking. what type of person is this mother raising her daughter to be?

i think i'm the only one in the thread who is saying the child should be taken away.

This thread has been about whether the prize should be awarded to this mother and daughter and about the poor role model the mother has been in this incident. No one here has seriously said anything about taking away the child. Now, if you look on other threads and the mom's bebo page, you see some really disturbing remarks. But we are all sensible here.:)

I agree, STEADFAST, although many of us are absolutely appalled by the woman's behavior and what she is clearly teaching her daughter (and likely her son as well). Chances are that in other ways she may be teaching her children twisted senses of values, ethics, and morals. I believe that children raised with this type of thinking are more likely to be dishonest and contribute negatively to society in the future in some cases.

Perhaps this woman was targeted, but the truth is there are others like her who have escaped notoriety. Too bad for her, but the bottom line is that she did what she did, and it understandably offended many.

Lion

Yes, you're getting the picture. where would the children be taken? how much would it cost? who pays? who would decide? what would make the decider right?

from what i can see here this mother has been judged to be a terrible parent. the family won't be forgotten and for the rest of her life the daughter will be associated with the wrong doing. the internet is a powerful tool. this child's mother is hated internationally now.

pretty grim thing for the youngster to deal with.

I am a bit more optimistic in that people do not recall such things as this LONG term.
They may recall all the buzz but not who it was.

LOL @ Brave New World!! I love that book!! Do you know that they actually have a drug named Sarma?
Someone had a sense of humor!!

Thanks Lion Run ....

I find it interesting that some want to shield the little girl from discomfort. Kids just don't always get what they want and to teach her otherwise is just not right.She will learn about disappointment throughout her life and there is much bigger lesson learned here for her. Honesty is the best policy, cheaters never prosper, things like that. I think it would be a bigger disservice to her if she were to be awarded the prize.
She'll be sad and let down, but that is how we learn. I think our society in general tries to shield our kids from feeling "bad". I know I tried to do it when my kids were little, but finally figured out that did not benefit them in any way. They become ill prepared to cope when things don't go their way. 6 is not too young to understand these basic concepts.

I agree that this thing has been blown out of proportion. She should have quietly been denied the prize and that should have been the end of it.

This a so true. Of course nobody wants to see their kids disappointed,but the reality is at some point in their life they will be. I think its imperative that kids do have "no" told to them,so they can see that life goes on.If they are coddled all their young lives they are completley unprepared to face the world and the many challenges it holds as they get older.Its unfortuante but most people I know,have or are still treating their children with kid gloves and it is not pretty. Mommy and Daddy will not be there always to clean up the mess and these kids are going to be totally lost.

I finally turned on the TV and on MSNBC they were running a big story about this. For some reason I didn't think the cable news was following this on air. WOW.
They blacked out the little girls face but the mom was all over the news. WOW.
I am shocked. She really is being trashed (as she should be) but now I worry about the safety of that little girl.
Stupid mother!!!

I finally turned on the TV and on MSNBC they were running a big story about this. For some reason I didn't think the cable news was following this on air. WOW.
They blacked out the little girls face but the mom was all over the news. WOW.
I am shocked. She really is being trashed (as she should be) but now I worry about the safety of that little girl.
Stupid mother!!!

From everything that I have read and heard, people are angry at the mother, not the six year old child. I think the little girl is quite safe.

Pregnant, JanetElaine. :eek:

I believe she's had the baby - a girl. Before her MySpace was taken down, there's were pictures of three children, the youngest a baby girl.

The little girl will be okay, most people in the area where she lives have families and children and will not take it out on her. My guess is, the family will move, no one will remember the name in a few months, and it will all blow over.

I would love to think that the mother would change her behavior, but I'm sure she'll blame everyone but herself. Poor child, in the long run, she has more to deal with than losing a contest, she has a mother like this.

ABC report/video:
http://omg.yahoo.com/mom-lies-for-hannah-tickets/videos/2459

This video proves to me that the mom knew the essay should have been truthful and that she lied. She could have just said "It was fiction" at the time the reporters were asking her about it. Instead, she ducked and avoided questions.

A reporter also asks the little girl (about 1m30sec on this video) "You wrote a letter, right?" and she wouldn't let her daughter answer! :rolleyes:

ABC report/video:
http://omg.yahoo.com/mom-lies-for-hannah-tickets/videos/2459

This video proves to me that the mom knew the essay should have been truthful and that she lied. She could have just said "It was fiction" at the time the reporters were asking her about it. Instead, she ducked and avoided questions.

A reporter also asks the little girl (about 1m30sec on this video) "You wrote a letter, right?" and she wouldn't let her daughter answer! :rolleyes:

I don't like the prospect of the media getting in this girl's face.

Neither do I but part of the rules I believe said she had to be willing to be filmed for promotional reasons. That is why the film crew was in the store. The other older man was from a different news agency.

This all has to do with the mom. Millions of pervs out there have that little girls picture and address. Even the name of her school. (I found all this on other message boards and Myspace, If I can do it, ANYONE can!)

From that interview it seems the little girl has another father than the other kids. Wonder what he thinks of all of this drama??

My take was that the photogs were there recording the winner of the contest. I think the photographer was just trying to get her to say something on camera about how she won. I also believe that this was before anyone knew the essay was a lie, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe the cameraguy knew the essay was false and was trying to get the little girl to say something, but I didn't get that feeling. Just IMO anyway!

I don't think the little girl will be OK - but because of the mother - not the media. That mother sounds horrible - she sees no problem with lying to win a contest, not a trace of remorse - I feel for the girl who is learning this horrible example.

I've no doubt this will be forgotten soon enough, and no one other than friends she chooses to tell will know about it - but that mom will be a lifelong problem. If she adopts her mom's ethics, she'll have a lousy life. No - not enough reason to remove her from her parents - but I'm allowed to feel sorry for her, right?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back