Gloria Vanderbilt dies at the age of 95 from stomach cancer

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by LietKynes, Jun 17, 2019.

1. LietKynes

LietKynes "What do you despise? By this you are truly known"

BREAKING NEW: Gloria Vanderbilt dies at the age of 95 | Daily Mail Online

"...Gloria Vanderbilt, the iconic New York socialite and 'poor little rich girl' from one of America's iconic gilded age families, has died at the age of 95 after a battle with stomach cancer.
    Tributes to the socialite were led by her son, CNN anchor Anderson Cooper on Monday.
    'She was ready. She was ready to go,' Cooper said. He added that she was surrounded by 'beauty and friends when it was time.' She died at home on Monday morning, the 'way she wanted', her son said, after a battle with stomach cancer. ..."

Sad.
    What a classy lady. :(

I loved her clothing line, especially her jeans !

Glad that her surviving son was there for her until the end.

2. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Thanks for the thread. I just read the news.

Gloria Vanderbilt, heiress, jeans queen, dies at 95

New York – Gloria Vanderbilt, the intrepid heiress, artist and romantic who began her extraordinary life as the “poor little rich girl” of the Great Depression, survived family tragedy and multiple marriages and reigned during the 1970s and ‘80s as a designer jeans pioneer, died Monday at the age of 95.

Vanderbilt, the great-great-granddaughter of financier Cornelius Vanderbilt and the mother of CNN newsman Anderson Cooper, who announced her death via a first-person obituary that aired on the network Monday morning.

Cooper confirmed said Vanderbilt died at home with friends and family at her side. She had been suffering from advanced stomach cancer, he noted...

3. BetteDavisEyes

4. BetteDavisEyes

5. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

8956BA58-37DA-4A72-8322-DD48BE93A91D.jpeg

May Ms. Vanderbilt Rest In Peace.

6. GarAndTeed

GarAndTeed Well-Known Member

I liked her! RIP, and deepest sympathy to Anderson and the rest of her family and friends.

7. sorrell skye

sorrell skye Well-Known Member

I liked her, too! I've watched the documentary she & Anderson made "Nothing Left Unsaid" several times. Her artwork is incredible - what a talented lady she was!

RIP dear Gloria. Now we all know where your son got his infectious giggle - I'll think of you now whenever I hear Anderson laugh.

8. BetteDavisEyes

I've worn GV jeans for more than 20 years. Especially like the stretch variety. I also had a set of GV tapestry luggage that I passed along to my sister some years ago. DD had also used the luggage when she was in college.

9. sorrell skye

I absolutely love this quote of Gloria's: "I think we should always be in love."

I wholeheartedly agree!

10. sorrell skye

I have mad respect for Gloria for her jeans line, but the way they were cut never complemented my figure.

I've always worn Levi's - they fit my curves in all the right places & accentuate the positives I've wanted to accentuate (IOW - my derriere lol).

gregjrichards likes this.
  11. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Oh, how I remember lobbying my mom to buy me a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans when I was in junior high.

RIP, Gloria.

I'm glad she departed in the way she wanted to go - that is a true blessing, as we WSers know.

12. BetteDavisEyes

Gloria Vanderbilt Dead at 95: Read Anderson Cooper's Tribute to His "Extraordinary" Mom | Xfinity

..."Gloria Vanderbilt was an extraordinary woman, who loved life, and lived it on her own terms," Anderson, 52, said in a statement. "She was a painter, a writer, and designer but also a remarkable mother, wife, and friend. She was 95 years old, but ask anyone close to her, and they'd tell you, she was the youngest person they knew, the coolest, and most modern. She died this morning, the way she wanted to—at home, surrounded by family and friends."...

LietKynes, gregjrichards and watcher9 like this.
  13. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

I have always felt sorry for her. Saw movie years back about her and it was sad to me what she went through as a child. I have a hard time finding a picture of her smiling/looking happy as a child.

RIP Gloria

14. BetteDavisEyes

https://www.history.com/news/gloria-vanderbilt-custody-trial-great-depression

In 1934, the heiress' mother fought her aunt for custody in a very public trial.

Gloria Laura Vanderbilt was only 10 when she became an unwilling tabloid sensation. It was 1934, and she was the subject of a nasty custody battle between her widowed mother and her aunt, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney. Depression-era Americans eagerly read about the acrimonious trial, which was open to the press until the day a maid accused Gloria’s mother of having an affair with a relative of the British Royal Family in court. Newspapers dubbed Gloria “the poor little rich girl,” kicking off a wave of media attention that followed her until her death on June 17, 2019...

15. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

BetteDavisEyes likes this.
  16. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member