Good Corporate Citizenship - What's your workplace policy?

10 days, but won't pay for the sixth and seventh days (no Saturday or Sunday). I also recently found out that my company has NO bereavement policy AT ALL. You have to use PTO. Time to find a new job?

I don't know of any company (fortune 500 or not) that would pay SAT/Sun. They wouldn't normally pay you for that day anyway, unless it's on the schedule.

JMHO.

MOO

Mel

I'm currently employed by a church- jury duty is paid less the daily stipend. No limit.

Previous employer UPS - same as above

Our policy is the time is paid, and we are under 50 employees so even companies that could be considered small do often compensate for jury duty time.

I will say a few years back i was selected and sat on a jury for a child molestation case. It was horrible, to sit in a jury room with a group of older women who found the fact the kiddo had said that her night gown was on during the whole encounter just had to mean that nothing had happened????? I am a married woman and know you dont have to have your sleepwear off (TMI) but where these other jurists had been that they couldnt imagine anything could have happened because the kid said her nightgown on?

But we did as instructed and only considered what was presented and found him not guilty .. only to learn after the end of the trial that the first responder that was the only person other than the kid who could testify and it not be hearsay was at her fathers funeral in california. when we asked the judge why he didnt delay the trial he said how costly it was to seat a jury and all of us were appalled and agreed we would have come back.

It has torn me up since, to know i did my civic duty, i was fair and released a sexual predator back into the world without any penalty. I was very disappointed in the system.

I know it doesnt always work that way ... we have one of the best legal systems in the modern world, but some days it is not fair.

I wrote a letter to the kid who was hurt and testified and sent it to her attorney to tell her how much we believed her and how impressed i was with her bravery and her words while on the stand. I apologized that the process was what it is ... and i hope she knew I meant it.

but it was no easy thing to go through and as fair minded as i know I am - in retrospect it was very sad after the truth came out after the close of the trial.

Kathy in TX

10 days, but won't pay for the sixth and seventh days (no Saturday or Sunday). I also recently found out that my company has NO bereavement policy AT ALL. You have to use PTO. Time to find a new job?

Similar to mine. PTO or vacation time for Jury Duty; therefore if you have nothing accrued, out of luck!
:maddening:

I own a small business and really haven't considered my policy officially (I don't have a written handbook and I have less than 3 employees) but I think financially I really could only handle paying a week and even that would hurt. But I would hold the job etc no problem - I just wouldn't be able to pay the replacement AND the one out on jury duty and keep the doors open. It is hard enough to keep them open as is !

I'm a public employee in Florida and we get administrative leave for the duration.

I'm currently a stay at home Mom. Unless I'm carting my two toddlers with me, jury duty would actually cost me about $400 a week in day care.

I don't know of any company (fortune 500 or not) that would pay SAT/Sun. They wouldn't normally pay you for that day anyway, unless it's on the schedule.

JMHO.

MOO

Mel

This is true.

I currently work for a very large company, well respected in the industry but not so generous on benefits.

Policy: FULL payment for the duration of jury service, employee just "turns over" the court payment.

Funny thing tho'......NOBODY from our office seems to get picked for "juicy" criminal cases!

Just an FYI:Recently, I was REJECTED from the jury pool in a very high profile DP case............SO guess we can say that other states can "pull"prospective jurors from the "lists" even when they're going to be WITNESSES but SOME of us know enough to SHUT UP while sitting in the massive gathering room!

I'm currently a SAHM. The last company I worked for paid 2 days per year for jury duty. It was a small company. Most of the companies I've worked for have been small and none paid unlimited jury duty.

The company I work for is one of the Fortune 500 and they would pay.

Here's the policies at my job:

• All regular employees are eligible for paid leave for jury duty
    upon submission of a jury summons to the Human Resources
    Manager.
  • An employee on jury duty will be compensated at the
    employee’s regular rate of pay, while required to be present by
    the court.
  • Employees released from jury duty before the end of their shift
    are expected to report to work that day. {Geez do we have to get the judge to sign a hall pass?} A supervisor may make an exception for an employee working in one city and serving on a jury in another city.
  • Employees called to jury duty will be expected to serve as jurors during the periods for which they are summoned. {They support our being good citizens :)} However, excuse from jury duty may be requested for an employee when the absence of the employee for a prolonged period of time will have an unusually adverse effect upon the Agency, or when, in the opinion of the Agency, the nature of the employee's assignment is such that it is impossible to provide an adequate substitute.

However, I am technically "laid-off" three months of every year, during which if I don't land a temporary job, I can draw unemployment. I don't know how they decide if you get unemployment or jury pay in that kind of circumstance, but I'd guess they'd go with the lowest one, b/c that's the "American" way, it seems (IMHO).

Another ETA: If we get the jury pay, we have to give it back. (Thanks to MsTeal below for reminder of that:) )

I'm a public works employee.. And we get paid our normal wages (40 hrs. a week) if we give back the court's pay... and no time limit...

I have been retired for a couple of yrs now but I worked for a major telco. They paid full pay for jury duty. In my county you have to fill out a form to recieve jury pay and they do not pay for jury duty if your employers pays.

I do wonder if all those people who have said over the last few days that their employers didn't pay were being truthful. Small companies I can believe but seems like there were so many others too.

But if they was some fibbing I could almost understand, 6-8 weeks is a long time to be away from your home and locked into a controlled enviroment.

I'm currently employed by a church- jury duty is paid less the daily stipend. No limit.

Previous employer UPS - same as above

I work for your previous employer, so same deal :rocker:....

to bad they didn't come to my county :(

I work for the govt. They pay for jury duty. No temp would be brought in. They'd just let my work pile up until I got back. :crazy:

I work for University of Louisville. They pay, no time limit. Minus jury pay, which is $12 a day here.

I work for University of Louisville. They pay, no time limit. Minus jury pay, which is $12 a day here.

Bold mine.

My goodness, that is really low! And to think that JB thought he had it bad, making, what was it, $3 and hour?! :floorlaugh:

I'm a public employee in Florida and we get administrative leave for the duration.

I was called for jury duty when I worked for the local school system years ago and even then they covered the duration. (BTW, love your avatar:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back