Good Corporate Citizenship - What's your workplace policy?

I have been retired for a couple of yrs now but I worked for a major telco. They paid full pay for jury duty. In my county you have to fill out a form to recieve jury pay and they do not pay for jury duty if your employers pays.

I do wonder if all those people who have said over the last few days that their employers didn't pay were being truthful. Small companies I can believe but seems like there were so many others too.

But if they was some fibbing I could almost understand, 6-8 weeks is a long time to be away from your home and locked into a controlled enviroment.

True, there are a lot of small companies who simply can't afford to pay for an employee to be on a two month jury service, especially if they'd have to hire a temporary to fill in. I believe they do, however, have to allow that employee to be absent and hold their job for them. That said, I believe some potential jurors just didn't have anyone to care for their home/apartment, car, paying bills, pets, etc. to be gone for such an extended time and it would have been a hardship in that manner. MOO

I own a very small business. I don't know what I'd do if one of my two employees got called for this case. I'd want them to do their civic duty, but each has very specialized duties that no one else could just step into without months of training and there are no temps for this kind of work. I couldn't cover salary for two months in this economy.

I worked for a large insurance company and was paid full pay plus I could keep the court money. Supervisor said court money could be used for expenses, gas, lunch (could not bring a bag lunch), parking. Parking was free to jurors but lunch was sometimes expensive when everyone in the jury room wanted to go out to eat. lol

When I worked in Pharma (25 years) the policy for jury duty was that employees would be paid full salary for the full amount of time away.

I always supported employees serving jury duty and always paid them when our agency was in business.

I've always felt that it was one of those honor bound duties we should all participate in when called. I've never been called..........ever. My DH has been called 3 times. Weird .....

I have been on 2 jury's in the time i've worked for my current employer. Their policy is to pay, and they let me keep the stipend as well. The first trial I was on was a gang trial in Chicago, I was sequestered overnight one night. That trial only lasted a total of 3 days and ended in a hung jury. The second jury was for murder and was out here in the suburbs. That trial lasted 6 days and I was paid for the duration. This trial ended with the defendant being declared guilty. He's currently in the big house paying for his crime.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back