Gov. Corbett's handling of the Sandusky case

I think the majority just want the truth of what happened, who was responsible, and what, if anything, could have been differently. Most importantly, what needs to change so nothing like this ever happens again. If an exhaustive, complete investigation is done, even the "radicals" would have to accept it... and who knows, it could even be shown that the "radicals" are the ones who have it right. Doubtful, but possible. But please, look also at TSM, DPW, and CYS, not just at Corbett. Look at everything and everyone. The victims and our children deserve that.

I think the majority just want the truth of what happened, who was responsible, and what, if anything, could have been differently. Most importantly, what needs to change so nothing like this ever happens again. If an exhaustive, complete investigation is done, even the "radicals" would have to accept it... and who knows, it could even be shown that the "radicals" are the ones who have it right. Doubtful, but possible. But please, look also at TSM, DPW, and CYS, not just at Corbett. Look at everything and everyone. The victims and our children deserve that.

BBM - I agree those investigations are needed, nittanylioness, but I don't think that is what is happening here...unfortunately.....

I don't think the "radicals" will accept it. I've still seen people (not many) saying Gricar made the right decision in 1998.

I think TSM will be ongoing. CYS, only if there something out of TSM or Penn State. DPW, well, virtually nothing. Their records are destroyed after 14 months; they'd have to show bribery and PSU relied on their stupidity.

If this issue is what got the woman elected - whether by a narrow margin or a wide margin - then obviously there are plenty of people who would like to see an independent review of the case. If a pair of fresh, experienced eyes says everything was done properly, well fine.

I still want to know why Ray Gricar refused to prosecute the original case.

If this issue is what got the woman elected - whether by a narrow margin or a wide margin - then obviously there are plenty of people who would like to see an independent review of the case. If a pair of fresh, experienced eyes says everything was done properly, well fine.

A number of people want to see her get Corbett, not an independent review.

I still want to know why Ray Gricar refused to prosecute the original case.

That might be one of those things that pop up. The first five pages of the Spanier presentment dealt with 1998.

I don't think the "radicals" will accept it. I've still seen people (not many) saying Gricar made the right decision in 1998.

I think TSM will be ongoing. CYS, only if there something out of TSM or Penn State. DPW, well, virtually nothing. Their records are destroyed after 14 months; they'd have to show bribery and PSU relied on their stupidity.

I'm no fan of the federal government getting more involved in state matters than it already is; however, this is a case is an exception. I believe the "radicals" carry far too much influence in PA for any state investigation to yield an impartial result.

And, yes, I do agree with those suggesting that the "radicals" are small in number; however, in a state as evenly divided between Republican and Democrat as PA, they are enough to constitute a "swing vote."

I'm no fan of the federal government getting more involved in state matters than it already is; however, this is a case is an exception. I believe the "radicals" carry far too much influence in PA for any state investigation to yield an impartial result.

And, yes, I do agree with those suggesting that the "radicals" are small in number; however, in a state as evenly divided between Republican and Democrat as PA, they are enough to constitute a "swing vote."

I guess I wonder what the end result of the investigation will be. I doubt there could EVER be enough information to warrant any legal problems for Corbett. Perhaps if it is suggested that "Corbett could have done more" it would provide opportunity for civil action by any boys who may have been victimized by Sandusky after Corbett received the case.

Otherwise, the only damage would be to Corbett's already questionable reputation.

I guess I wonder what the end result of the investigation will be. I doubt there could EVER be enough information to warrant any legal problems for Corbett. Perhaps if it is suggested that "Corbett could have done more" it would provide opportunity for civil action by any boys who may have been victimized by Sandusky after Corbett received the case.

Otherwise, the only damage would be to Corbett's already questionable reputation.

There have been no reports of anyone being victimized after Victim 1 was turned over to the AG's Office.

Even with 1998, DA's have great amounts of immunity.

There have been no reports of anyone being victimized after Victim 1 was turned over to the AG's Office.

Even with 1998, DA's have great amounts of immunity.

That's kind of what I thought. Kane's investigation is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

That's kind of what I thought. Kane's investigation is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Not quite. The question Kane is asking is if Corbett "slow walked" Victim 1 and gave enough emphasis to the case, or had other victims and sat on them.

The second point seems to be resoundingly no.

1998 is different because no one associated with the case has publicly given Gricar's reasoning for not prosecuting, Lauro claims he never saw the Chambers Report, and there was potential contract between the DA's Office and Penn State after the case was "closed." That is coupled with Gricar's mysterious disappearance in 2005. None of that involved Corbett.

This line stood out for me:
"some are prepared to go public if the review's findings are overly critical of their work"

Of course they aren't happy; it is their work coming under scrutiny. But as long as Kane and her investigators are being fair in their review, I see nothing wrong with a second look. These prosecutors are used to their cases being appealed; I don't see what should be so different about this process.

Appeals are usually from the convicted party...this is being done by their own office after a successful investigation and prosecution, and just to fulfill a political promise against Corbett. I think the ones who actually did the work have a right to be upset.

The prosecution strikes back: Jerry Sandusky investigators lash out at Attorney General Kathleen Kane's review of Sandusky probe

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/03/the_empire_strikes_back_sandus.html#hssports

In a report published in a leading legal trade journal this week, several people said to have worked on the Jerry Sandusky child sex scandal strongly disavowed any political overlay to the prosecution of the former Penn State assistant football coach............

But it represents the first time that anyone on the prosecution side has spoken so bluntly - albeit without being identified on the record - about the operational distance between their work and then-Attorney General Corbett's oversight of the politically explosive probe.

"If they come after us, we're coming out publicly," the story says in quoting one source identified as having held a leadership post in the office and having been involved in the investigation.

"We're proud of what we did and we didn't give a rat's *advertiser censored* about politics. We wanted to get a monster off the streets. And we did."

More at link.....Note: this may be the same article Twindad posted above but I could not read that one and did not want to register.

I support these investigators and prosecutors...they did a great job and I'm thankful that ol Jerry is sitting in prison due to their efforts and brilliant prosecution. Having been in the same situation having work reviewed when a child died, there are already agencies in the government set up for this type of examination of their work...every state has an Inspector General's office. Even if Kane wanted to do the review internally, it could have been done quietly. This is purely political grandstanding and I hope she falls flat on her face...I'm a Dem but not a PA type of Dem obviously. Further note, I was questioned by the head of the district in the county where I worked. Fortunately that night a SO detective had called me, was there and fully backed up the decision I made. It was a situation where we removed the child being abused but the baby in the home was fine. I took off all of his clothes and examined him thoroughly. He died that night. The worse time I ever had on the job and led to my decision to leave.

It's about the same story, Reader. There doesn't appear to be a lot of specifics at this time.

The prosecution strikes back: Jerry Sandusky investigators lash out at Attorney General Kathleen Kane's review of Sandusky probe

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/03/the_empire_strikes_back_sandus.html#hssports

In a report published in a leading legal trade journal this week, several people said to have worked on the Jerry Sandusky child sex scandal strongly disavowed any political overlay to the prosecution of the former Penn State assistant football coach............

But it represents the first time that anyone on the prosecution side has spoken so bluntly - albeit without being identified on the record - about the operational distance between their work and then-Attorney General Corbett's oversight of the politically explosive probe.

"If they come after us, we're coming out publicly," the story says in quoting one source identified as having held a leadership post in the office and having been involved in the investigation.

"We're proud of what we did and we didn't give a rat's *advertiser censored* about politics. We wanted to get a monster off the streets. And we did."

More at link.....Note: this may be the same article Twindad posted above but I could not read that one and did not want to register.

I support these investigators and prosecutors...they did a great job and I'm thankful that ol Jerry is sitting in prison due to their efforts and brilliant prosecution. Having been in the same situation having work reviewed when a child died, there are already agencies in the government set up for this type of examination of their work...every state has an Inspector General's office. Even if Kane wanted to do the review internally, it could have been done quietly. This is purely political grandstanding and I hope she falls flat on her face...I'm a Dem but not a PA type of Dem obviously. Further note, I was questioned by the head of the district in the county where I worked. Fortunately that night a SO detective had called me, was there and fully backed up the decision I made. It was a situation where we removed the child being abused but the baby in the home was fine. I took off all of his clothes and examined him thoroughly. He died that night. The worse time I ever had on the job and led to my decision to leave.

I am truly sorry that you had that terrible experience, Reader.

I share Rlaub's thoughts. I am sorry you had to be part of that, or that anybody did.

Well, I've disagreed with Kane (and ironically, I am not a particular fan of Corbett). In reality, this does not look political and I can understand not going forward with just one victim, and almost no corroborating witnesses (one could testify that Sandusky was "clingy").

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back