Missing pregnant Shanann Watts and her two daughter's bodies found, husband arrested
Join the latest discussion

Grand Jury Indictment 3/20/14

Discussion in 'Heather Elvis' started by Insomnia Momma, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Insomnia Momma

Insomnia Momma If not supported by a link it's just what I think!

2. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

If/since the GJ usually comes before charges, I wonder if in a case when LE found reason to believe the suspects would flee and/or that they were a danger to others, they can go ahead and arrest them and ask for indictments later?

3. nosysw

nosysw Active Member

This whole thing confuses me. So, they have been indicted, and there is no bail, and the trial is possibly going to be in one year...so they can keep people, who are to be "presumed innocent" locked up for a year (not that I want them out)? What happens of they aren't convicted? They just lost a year of their lives? That seems crazy to me (not that I want them out). What happens to the right to a "speedy trial"?

4. Oreolover

Oreolover New Member

The grand jury doesn't "usually come before charges". Procedure followed in this case is normal : probable cause to issue warrant determined by a magistrate or judge (depending on state); arrest; bond hearing if bond not set or is higher than defendant can post; probable cause or preliminary hearing or grand jury; then trial.

5. Oreolover

Oreolover New Member

Yep, that's the nature of the proceeding.

6. cluciano63

I read yesterday they waived the right to a speedy trial, but not sure if that was official or a presumption. I can't imagine innocent people wanting to delay a trial and stay in jail. If the defendants insisted, they could go to trial in whatever the minimum is for Sc, i.e six months, and the state would be forced to be ready. I think it is foolish in this case to not go to trial sooner, for the defense, as it allows time for Heather to be found. Jmo

ETA from what I can find "speedy" is not specific in SC...case to case, based on complexity etc...

7. Lovejac

Lovejac These boys are my heartstrings!

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/21/3339711/horry-county-grand-jury-indicts.html

snipped

8. Lovejac

Lovejac These boys are my heartstrings!

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/21/3339711/horry-county-grand-jury-indicts.html#storylink=cpy

Good luck trying to go back and request a bond again. His best bet is a speedy trial.

9. cluciano63

Yes, I am so sure the defense for both was really wanting the evidence that convinced a GJ to indict for murder to be heard...I mean, it can only be worse than what we have heard already...jMO

10. stillwatersc

stillwatersc Active Member

1. Kidnapping
    2. Murder
    3. OOJ
    4. IE #1
    5. IE #2

So disposed means the charges were not dropped - just that TM paid bail? :confused:

11. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

When people are charged with a crime and bail is denied, yes they can be held until trial.

12. floridamomma

floridamomma "I've never let my school interfere with my educat

they can waive that right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

13. njgolden1120

njgolden1120 New Member

Also confused. Why would you not want a speedy trial that presses the state for time to get there stuff together. Unless you know you're guilty then I guess why hurry. Or am I thinking all wrong. I'm very unfamiliar with this stuff. God bless Google and Wikipedia.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

14. floridamomma

floridamomma "I've never let my school interfere with my educat

I wouldn't want a speedy trial IF I was fearful of a guilty verdict. IMO. idk, I've never walked in those shoes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

15. cluciano63

If innocent, IMO, you would the trial ASAP, as long as you felt your lawyer was up to speed, even more so if denied bail. But I get what nosysw is saying...we have "innocent until proven guilty" yet we can lock a person up a year or more before a trial. I mean, I get it as far if they are believed to be a danger, etc...anyway...

16. njgolden1120

njgolden1120 New Member

I agree. IMO I don't think they're innocent and I think they know they're not. Otherwise why wouldn't you throw any and every stop out to prove there innocence even from the start. I JUST WISH someone would speak up and bring Heather home.

17. njgolden1120

njgolden1120 New Member

I wouldn't either with impending doom. But wouldn't a shorter amount of time be in there favor. The longer time better for the state to get everything they need plus some. I don't know either. My run only in's with the law included speeding tickets at 16. And back then I'd rather deal with the law then my parents.

18. nosysw

nosysw Active Member

So, even though I've been waiting, and praying, for a confession...especially since the bail was denied and indictments came down...my newest thought (which does not make me happy), is that SM will not confess (which I have thought he would have by now) because even if TM is on the inside, she has lots of people on the outside. I don't particularly think he was a family favorite before this happened, iykwim(?). :(

19. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

I am still hoping SM confesses. Sitting in jail 24/7 with no freedom will hopefully break him down.

20. nosysw

nosysw Active Member

:praying: