GUILTY Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST* #2

Speculative: maybe they'd avoid walking alone on a remote road in the first place.
I'm wondering about the following: Before this attack, would the locals find it unsafe to go running alone in the middle of the day in the vicinity of the Academy? How about now? One could argue that it is safer than before. Would dr. Eaton have gone running had she known about the unsolved attacks on female joggers in the area?

I'm wondering about the following: Before this attack, would the locals find it unsafe to go running alone in the middle of the day in the vicinity of the Academy? How about now? One could argue that it is safer than before. Would dr. Eaton have gone running had she known about the unsolved attacks on female joggers in the area?

Locals don't run in the midday because Greeks know this is the hottest part of the day. And I rarely see locals (what I presume to be locals) jogging even in populated areas.

Locals don't run in the midday because Greeks know this is the hottest part of the day. And I rarely see locals (what I presume to be locals) jogging even in populated areas.
You can replace jogging with walking on a deserted beach or some other solitary activity and/or change the time. Is it (or was it) safe for anyone?

You can replace jogging with walking on a deserted beach or some other solitary activity and/or change the time. Is it (or was it) safe for anyone?

I'm not sure what you're asking, or if I'm allowed to answer. If you're asking if Greece is safe, this was discussed in the earlier thread, but was said to be off-topic.

I'm not sure what you're asking, or if I'm allowed to answer. If you're asking if Greece is safe, this was discussed in the earlier thread, but was said to be off-topic.
That was not my intention. I was trying to find out if the tourists were perceived to be taking unnecessary risks. IMO the risks in the region were/are probably low in general and it only takes one maniac to destroy the peace. It could have happened anywhere. I also think that if it was known that there was a perp on the prowl, people would be more careful.

That was not my intention. I was trying to find out if the tourists were perceived to be taking unnecessary risks. IMO the risks in the region were/are probably low in general and it only takes one maniac to destroy the peace. It could have happened anywhere. I also think that if it was known that there was a perp on the prowl, people would be more careful.

I agree with you Indicolite. Given the string of incidences with this creep, I wish some notice could of been given out somehow. Commonalities: white car, attempted hits, women jogging.

And it’s true that Greek women rarely jog the streets - especially midday. My family is from a small village on another island and I never see locals jogging. Tourists - yes. I would go jogging because it’s what I’m accustomed to in America. I would even go off road near my home - that’s how safe I felt. That feeling ended with this case.

I won’t attach any quotes from posters since when I disagreed my post was deleted for “bickering”. I just want to say I strongly disagree with the theory that she was targeted because of her research or her nationality. No evidence supports that. What does make sense is him attempting to hit women he believes are jogging alone with nobody else in sight. The only reason he wasn’t able to get away with this sooner is because he misjudged and people happened to be close by.

ETA: this type of occurrence is so rare on the islands that I and Citydancer who lives in Greece originally thought she was accidentally hit by a car and the perp freaked and hid her body. Before her body was found, I believed she got lost/ injured somewhere. My mind didn’t go to this scenario easy at all.

ETA: JMO

Last edited:
To be honest, I think most locals, everywhere, perceive foreign tourists as being "different than us" and doing risky things, even when it's just how they drive. When it comes to violence against women, I'm sure my grandmother would never have gone jogging alone along country roads, much less in a foreign country. It wasn't exactly because it was "unsafe", I think my grandmother would have said it was 'unladylike', whatever that means. There are just vastly different perceptions about how women "should" or "shouldn't" behave, that come up in people's reaction to sexual violence.

Last edited:

Yes, it was and is safe. Source: I've done it all the time, both in Athens and in other parts of Greece. I'm Greek and a fairly attractive woman.

ETA: I am referring to women jogging or walking outside on their own.

Last edited:

Greeks -with the exception of professional training athletes- never run, jog or brisk-walk in the middle of the day. It's just unheard of, especially in the summer months. In fact we sometimes "joke" about tourists insisting on going jogging in the afternoon, under the hot sun. We will always warn them not to, they will almost always ignore the advice, and they will frequently end up with sunstroke. Have seen this happen many times.

SBM

It may be true that perps don't factor in revenge in other places, but IMO they certainly do here. It's a different culture.

The Cretan vendetta (along with the Mani vendetta, Mani being a very specific area in the Peloponnese) is the stuff of songs, movies, books and legends. Whole families have wiped each other out this way. The tradition is definitely not as strong as it used to be, but still.. not something to joke around with. Think Mafia family-type solidarity, only the Greek version. http://sdct-journal.com/images/Issues/2014/6.pdf

ETA: Just look at this unbelievable quote from the text I just posted:
"Many times the place chosen by the relatives for committing the avenged murder is the courthouse itself, while the perpetrator is tried and especially during the hearing or the reading of the verdict. This option is anything but random, as the courthouse is a symbolic place and the “avengers” in this way make their statement of justice served".

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for chiming in with info about Greek and Cretan culture. Agreed that local women do not walk/run by themselves in rural areas. As a young girl visiting relatives, I was discouraged from walking anywhere by myself in the village.

I don’t think tourist women are necessarily thought of as “untouchable” or taboo. The wealth of relationships between young Cretan men and young tourist women attest to plenty of touching. However, who knows what’s going on in the perp’s sick mind. He may have been turned down by a foreign woman in the past. I highly doubt any woman would find him attractive.

I also second the vendetta culture. Even had the perp served time for assaulting or killing a Cretan woman, her relatives would be waiting for him as soon as he was released.

All of the above MOO

Several news outlets published excerpts from the perp's confession (quoting Real News as a source), which are graphic. According to those, she did try to fight back. The fabric they found in the cave was from a beach umbrella.

Δολοφονία βιολόγου: «Τη βίασα τρεις φορές, μετά την πέταξα» - Η ανατριχιαστική κατάθεση του 27χρονου

My husband read this earlier and told me the details, and I wish he hadn’t. I wish this had never been printed.

DBM: found translation

Last edited:
Father of the 27-year-old Cretan man who confessed to killing American biologist, apologises to her family

July 22, 2019

"The father of the 27-year-old Cretan man who confessed to raping and killing American biologist Suzanne Eaton, has apologised to her family through a letter released to the press.

In the statement, he expressed that he was shocked by his son’s actions which caused the death of Eaton and asked the media to spare his daughter-in-law and grandchildren the publicity....

The full letter is as follows:

“As a human being and a priest, and entirely in agreement with the prevailing sentiment, I am devastated at the heinous and appalling way one of our fellow humans lost her life, even more so that the perpetrator of this crime is my own child. I want to express my sincere condolences to the family, husband and children of the hapless American woman Suzanne Eaton. I hope God provides them strength and comfort. As long as I live, I will pray to the Almighty to rest her soul.

On the other hand, as a father, I cannot not stand by my child during this difficult time, even if he committed such a serious crime. I would like to apologise to the family of the hapless woman, my fellow villagers, all Cretans, and the Greek and global public opinion. Now it is the turn of Greek justice. This isolated incident cannot in any way describe the peace-loving, honorable and welcoming residents of a country, a people and a nation. I also beseech you: For what happened, the perpetrator’s wife and young children bear no responsibility; please respect our own pain at this time. Just like the family of Suzanne who died tragically, so shall we from now on and from here die an emotional and moral death every day.”"

Father of the 27-year-old Cretan man who confessed to killing American biologist, apologises to her family — Greek City Times

Yes, it was and is safe. Source: I've done it all the time, both in Athens and in other parts of Greece. I'm Greek and a fairly attractive woman.

ETA: I am referring to women jogging or walking outside on their own.

Unfortunately, women jogging alone isn't "safe" in Iowa, Montana, NYC, California, or many other places. We live in a "rape culture", with more men thinking that attacking women to fulfill their needs is a norm.

I find it particularly offensive, when people "justify" a man attacking a woman, because she was jogging alone. How can anyone seriously believe that because a woman was outside, alone, that made her a "target"?

I refuse to accept that I need to stay in my house, with locked doors, a Winchester next to me, and two Doberman Pinchers to be "safe".

It seems the perp's lawyer is preparing a possible insanity defense. JMO

Several lawyers on Crete had refused to represent the suspect. Zellios, one of the island’s leading attorneys, said he had agreed to assume the role at the request of the carpenter’s family because it was the only way to expedite the course of justice.

“I agreed on condition that I would not attempt to defend such actions and that he would undergo a psychiatric examination,” the lawyer said. “For punishment to be meted out a defendant must have a lawyer under the laws of our country and constitution.”

BBM

Crete 'struggling with shame' after rape and murder of US scientist

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam