Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Discussion in 'Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined' started by otto, Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

I forgot to mention that I checked out Duke's mayonnaise while DH was in the checkout lane at Nino's on Thursday. I'd seen Duke's advertised in cooking magazines but never looked for it at a store. We like Hellmann's and buy the huge jar (64 oz.) at Costco that lasts for several months. Nino's had a 32 oz. jar and a smaller squeeze bottle of Duke's. We don't really need mayo right now, but I might get the squeeze bottle sometime just to try it. Duke's is described as having a vinegary flavor. If that's the case, I probably won't like it because I don't like anything that is briny or pickled.

PayrollNerd likes this.

2. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

Behind on thread, but remember to never ever (per mom and MOO) cut lettuce with a metal object. Only with those plastic ones or else you will indeed get the browning in my experience.

I'll try the mason jar.

Right now I have spinach that is about to turn.. and when that happens, an entire bag is stir fried by me to make cooked spinach. ha, an entire bag after cooking down is about 1/2 cup cooked, but at least it doesn't get thrown out.

3. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

This is a southern thing...Dukes vs Hellmans. Give me my Hellmans, Dukes is nasty....

BetteDavisEyes and weepingangel like this.
  4. BetteDavisEyes

I've read reviews of Duke's mayo in recent days since some here mentioned it. I gather that it's regional because I've never heard anyone mention it here in Michigan. The selection at Nino's was meager, and Duke's mayo was basically hidden on the bottom shelf in the condiment section. Reviews describe it as being very tangy and vinegary. I don't like vinegar or anything that's been preserved in it. Pickling makes me pucker...and cough.

5. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

My DH and I (we're in NC) use Duke's mayo but we like other versions of real mayo too. Not too picky, I guess.

BetteDavisEyes likes this.
  6. Angela_Beckett

Angela_Beckett Lurker Extraordinaire

Tomatillo is another variety of the tomato family. It's covered in a thin husk, and you can use it for salsas or cooked meals. It can be used roasted, boiled or raw.

Both tomato and tomatillo are original from Mexico.
    I could teach you some of my Abuelita recipes, if you guys want.

LadyL, JrzyGirl70, kalvis and 3 others like this.
  7. kalvis

kalvis Member

Abuelita=cocoa, sugar and cinnamon

I had to look it up. Ha

I would love for you to share some of your recipes!

Lastly, I have a question. Some of you refer to your husband, partner or significant other as DH. What does DH stand for?

LadyL likes this.
  8. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native - now residing in Jacksonville

DH = Dear Husband or Darling Husband

Websleuths Lingo

HTH's

byo and kalvis like this.
  9. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I don’t even cook it. I just put it in a plastic bag, squeeze all of the air out of it and put it in the freezer. I also do this when I have a large harvest from the garden or when I find it on sale

Betty P likes this.
  10. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

I steam spinach and freeze it. You’re correct, it cooks down to very little. However, even one serving can be helpful when I’m meal prepping. I may have one meal I need a veggie for or I may be making veggie meals.

I will also use it up in my breakfast casserole. I may have posted the recipe previously On the C-19 Recipe thread but it won’t hurt to share it again here.

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
    Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray or line with foil that has been sprayed. (I use a glass baking dish.). Oven temp 350 deg.

Line the bottom of the dish/pan with flat tater tots (Ore Ida Crispy Crowns) or mini tater tots.

In a large bowl mix together 12-14 eggs, 2 cups cheese, salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste.
    Add 2 cups of diced veggies. Our favorites are spinach and tomato, sometimes diced colorful peppers.
    Add 1 cup of crumbled cooked sausage. (Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles is easy and tasty.)

Mix thoroughly and if it seems too thick, add a few more eggs or 1/4 cup milk. I’ve used up to 18 eggs when I wanted a deep casserole for a crowd.

Bake at 350 deg for about 45 min. Check the center with a knife. Bake another 10-15 min until the center is set but not overcooked. Remember it will cook more when reheated. I intentionally under bake it slightly when I’m meal prepping. If it’s for a crowd I bake it completely.

11. BetteDavisEyes

DH made a quick trip to Costco this afternoon because I'm nearly out of Perrier that they didn't have on his last trip. He got me two cases :) that should last for at least another month. They finally had the large jug of Palmolive dish liquid but still no Lysol spray or Clorox wipes. He also got a jug of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent and wild caught salmon filets for two meals. DH later went to Meijer for some staples and picked up takeout from P.F. Chang's. I hope all of you had a lovely holiday weekend even though it was probably unlike those in year's past. Be well.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    kalvis, PayrollNerd and byo like this.
  12. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

I'm totally interested.

dear hubby/husband

PayrollNerd and kalvis like this.
  13. SA55

SA55 Well-Known Member

Those of you thinking ahead to less than ideal weather and how you're going to occupy any free time once it arrives this fall and winter, until we get a vaccine? I have a small stack of new books (but I totally can get lost in a book and read straight through a good book on a weekend), a supply of canvases and paints. I work from home thankfully but don't relish spending even more time in front of computer for online classes or learning new skills on my off time, I can only handle so much screen time.

Any unusual preparations for things others of us may be overlooking? I have a healthy supply of PPE, paper products, cleaning supplies, OTC meds, stable foods and a mini freezer along with bottom refrig freezer all full. What am I forgetting?

ETA - I received Clorox wipes from Amazon yesterday! They're on my subscription list, weren't available 2 months ago. I was ecstatic when I received them!

Betty P, LadyL, weepingangel and 2 others like this.
  14. BetteDavisEyes

I would also include anything related to your personal care/hygiene: Shampoo/rinse, hair color, toothpaste, mouth rinse, toothbrushes/head replacements, feminine hygiene products, razors, bar soap/shower gel, deodorant, facial cleanser, moisturizer, makeup, etc.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    byo, SA55, weepingangel and 1 other person like this.
  15. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

EPA approves 2 Lysol disinfectants tested to kill novel coronavirus on surfaces | abc7ny.com

The EPA has begun to approve surface disinfectants specifically proven to kill SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus, in laboratory testing.

The agency announced that two products, Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist, were both approved last week.

Lysol said in a news release that Lysol Disinfectant Spray "was found to kill the virus at two minutes of use."

EPA said it expects to approve additional products in the coming weeks.

Betty P, SA55, LadyL and 1 other person like this.
  16. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I would love that - I'm sick of making the recipes and I'm not eating out at all.
    We do have a recipe thread:
    Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

17. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

Hidden in Houston, as well. Lived in the Dallas Fort Worth area for years. Never saw it but wasn’t looking, really. Actually, you might enjoy it. I liked it. Best? Home made. Use a blender, drip the oil through the hole in the lid. Blades make easy work of making mayo.

18. BetteDavisEyes

DH and I made a quick trip to Salvaggio's this morning following my mammogram. I got an 18 oz. squeeze bottle of Duke's mayo. Several here have talked about it, and I wanted to try it. Actually, 32 oz. jars of Duke's were featured in a mayo and mustard display in front of the deli counter. No shortages of anything, and produce department is overflowing with a colorful array of fresh fruits and vegetables. We will have asparagus with swordfish for dinner this evening. We had takeout last night because it is just too darn hot to cook!

19. Warwick1991

Warwick1991 Well-Known Member

20. ArianeEmory

ArianeEmory I know the pieces fit

Well, I’ve just learned why I had to buy a squeeze bottle of Duke’s instead of a jar. :)

It’s kind of funny/not really funny, but my husband is partial to more processed food than I am, and a lot of the stuff I was going to buy for him was out of stock today. You can see exactly where the food chain is having problems. (Example: ballpark hotdogs, certain frozen pizzas, some Jimmy Dean products.)

The regular butcher section is back to normal for me.

Pepsi zero sugar was bizarrely out of stock.

PayrollNerd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.