Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Too spicy for me, and sometimes cheese doesn't like me, but I've them. Great appetizer.

Jalapeño poppers, or jalapeño bites, are jalapeño peppers that have been hollowed out, stuffed with a mixture of cheese, spices, and sometimes ground meat, and sometimes breaded and deep fried.
Our favorites are stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, and baked. Yum!

Our favorites are stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, and baked. Yum!
I ended up giving them to my daughter's boyfriend today. He said he begins to fry bacon, when it's about 1/2 done and soft, he wraps the bacon around a pepper. Inside the pepper is cheddar cheese. Then he puts them back in the pan until the bacon is crispy.

Meijer had a sale on pork loin starting today. Even before Covid, I've always stocked up on them when they're .99 per pound. I went in this morning planning to get as much as I can depending on if there were limits per customer. I grabbed one of the shopping baskets when I entered instead of getting the larger cart. When I got there there were no limits posted so I set the basket on the meat shelf and loaded it full. Then I picked it up and almost fell down :eek: I knew I couldn't carry it all the way to the register but I wasn't gonna leave it there while going back for a cart. So I set it on the ground for about 30 seconds and took some deep breaths, big mistake because I then had to lift it up from the floor! Once I got stood up with it I made a run for the check out. The distance between the handles was narrow and my arms were pressing against my chest with all that weight. Between that and my mask I could barely breathe. My chest was pounding and my ears were ringing and I'm thinking great I'm gonna die over some pork loin.

I finally made it to the check out line and dropped it on the floor in front of me. There were 3 customers in front of me so about 18 feet from the register. There I stood in my N95 guarding 38 pounds of pork loin while all around me were people in their designer masks looking at me like I was crazy. (Imagine that) I didn't really care as I was concentrating on breathing again. Every few minutes I'd have to bend down and pick up the basket, carry it 6 feet forward and put it down again. Finally it was my turn at the register but I couldn't lift it high enough to get it on the conveyor :rolleyes: I set it back on the floor and took them out one at a time. The clerk came around and helped me get the basket on the conveyor and I'm thinking 6 feet! 6 feet! The heck with it, I'm wearing an N95. So I paid for my pork loins and got a cart to take them out to the truck. I'm home safe and sound. Just wanted to share another of my Covid shopping adventures.

Meijer had a sale on pork loin starting today. Even before Covid, I've always stocked up on them when they're .99 per pound. I went in this morning planning to get as much as I can depending on if there were limits per customer. I grabbed one of the shopping baskets when I entered instead of getting the larger cart. When I got there there were no limits posted so I set the basket on the meat shelf and loaded it full. Then I picked it up and almost fell down :eek: I knew I couldn't carry it all the way to the register but I wasn't gonna leave it there while going back for a cart. So I set it on the ground for about 30 seconds and took some deep breaths, big mistake because I then had to lift it up from the floor! Once I got stood up with it I made a run for the check out. The distance between the handles was narrow and my arms were pressing against my chest with all that weight. Between that and my mask I could barely breathe. My chest was pounding and my ears were ringing and I'm thinking great I'm gonna die over some pork loin.

I finally made it to the check out line and dropped it on the floor in front of me. There were 3 customers in front of me so about 18 feet from the register. There I stood in my N95 guarding 38 pounds of pork loin while all around me were people in their designer masks looking at me like I was crazy. (Imagine that) I didn't really care as I was concentrating on breathing again. Every few minutes I'd have to bend down and pick up the basket, carry it 6 feet forward and put it down again. Finally it was my turn at the register but I couldn't lift it high enough to get it on the conveyor :rolleyes: I set it back on the floor and took them out one at a time. The clerk came around and helped me get the basket on the conveyor and I'm thinking 6 feet! 6 feet! The heck with it, I'm wearing an N95. So I paid for my pork loins and got a cart to take them out to the truck. I'm home safe and sound. Just wanted to share another of my Covid shopping adventures.

Thank goodness are alright! My heart was pounding just reading about your escapade. Sounds like you are set with pork for a while. Do you have a special way of preparing it? If so, please share on the Recipes thread. Hope you will take it slow and easy for the remainder of the day :)

Yes, Tillicum, please share your favorite recipes for pork loin. I buy now and then and would like to cook it with sauerkraut, but I'm the only one in the family who likes it. I've done it with bbq sauces, etc., but could use some new suggestions. Thanks!

Business Booming At Local Pizzerias Even As Cheese, Pepperoni Harder To Come By

My preferred brand of hotdogs was on sale BOGO this week, but while I was grabbing those, I noticed that the other sausages (like Keilbasa) were limit one and that the selection was a little sparse. I didn't look at pepperoni, but I couldn't get find any Canadian Bacon. And yes, cheese prices are going up, at least here in FL.

DH and I went to Nino's together on Friday, but I wanted to wait until he went to Costco yesterday to share our latest grocery shopping experience. Costco had no TP, no Clorox wipes, no Lysol spray. Other items on our list were available: my D3, Ziplocs, kitchen trash bags, dishwasher packets, Crest mouth rinse, marinara, an 8-pack of canned black olives, and sockeye salmon. Part of the trip to Costco was to have my tires rotated (free service when tires are purchased there) which is done while you shop. DH stopped at Meijer on his way home and got a 9-pack of toilet paper and ground coffee.

Nino's was crowded but we managed to get everything we needed. There was a huge selection of Rao's pasta sauces that are featured this week. I always get 2-3 jars when it's on sale. I got two varieties that we haven't had previously; I'm sure they will be awesome. The outdoor produce display had a vast array of Michigan vegetables, but we didn't want to get more than we knew we'd eat this week. DH shucked 5 ears of corn while I looked at the glorious Michigan bounty and selected huge yellow squash and large tomatoes. They had basil plants that looked DOA, so I will not get one this season. Once inside, DH went to get swordfish and meats while I selected fruit and a few more veggies. We divided up the rest of the list so we could get out of the store asap. There don't appear to be any shortages, and stock is replaced rapidly. I hope all of you are finding what you need, and it's probably not a bad idea to start stocking up on products that you use frequently. Who knows what fall and winter will bring? I think we're in for a rough ride.

Last edited:
Have any of you seen COVID recovery progress where you live? My local Kroger parking lot at noon yesterday was so empty, I thought Jack and I had our days and hours mixed up. Sunday, midday. Yes? No? Inside, the store was just as empty. Few people, even fewer shelves full of food. Is there another hurricane coming? Two stockers. Meat and fresh fruit/vegetables looked normal. Bananas a little puny. But the rest of the shelves? Bread dated expired two days earlier felt and smelled fresh. I thought maybe they over baked and had kept them frozen before putting them out to sell. I could not put my finger on it....Anyone have any explanations?
Same this am in my neighborhood. As if it’s a ghost town. No walkers. No noise. No repairs going on....no lawn mowers. Eeekkk.

I was at Costco this weekend and there was a four pack of lysol spray just lying on top of other stuff in the medicine/beauty section. I decided it was meant for me as I have been nursing my one bottle since March. Everything was plentiful so fingers crossed we don't have shortages.

Their salmon is yummy - we made salmon burgers and baked some with homemade pesto as my Basil has grown into trees. We are going to try and make a roasted tomato and basil soup (I love Nature's Tables') because we had it at the chef's table on the cruise in december and again in March. The chef was kind enough to share most of his recipe so I will work on it this weekend since i plan to roast the tomatos on the grill - my tomato plant is 7 feet tall and I had to set it outside since it was not getting any blossoms. We did the pruning someone suggested so I am patiently waiting but bought two more in the meantime.

Basil is my way and by far favorite herb. Any shared recipes would be more than appreciated. Even if that means a different thread. Chef’s recipes are especially coveted. They seem to be based on plentiful, seasonal selections at local port o’ call stops.

from a combination of a couple different threads - I've been alerted that our traditional holiday meals/foods may be harder to find this year. Surprisingly, when I searched for pumpkin, individual cans at an affordable price appear to be slim choices. In full swing of a pandemic, who wants to be caught this fall without pumpkin, that would just be insult added to injury. I have added pumpkin, pumpkin spiced coffee, sweet potatoes and fried onions that top casseroles to my next shopping list.

How odd. Several weeks ago, my local Kroger was selling off Libby’s canned pumpkin at half off. Checked dates. No, they were ok. I grabbed a case full. Never mind half off, but great fiber food. I don’t consider it hoarding when on clearance like that. I don’t have two closets full of toilet paper. But I try to stay two full packages ahead of my current supply. Not big on paper towels, I use cloth kitchen towels mainly. Toss them into a load of laundry with whatever else needs washing that day.
So 2-3 times ahead of what I currently need is what I’m trying to maintain in light of COVID shortages. Or perceived, speculated shortages.
Do any of you have Autumn or Winter shortage concerns? I picked up a half off box containing roasting bags for turkeys yesterday. 2 bags in the little box. More than ample. Thinking ahead. But pumpkin spices is a good one to remember. Or the separate spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. If you have a nutmeg grater, whole nutmegs might be in short supply. Pumpkin spiced coffee. Coffee creamer pumpkin spice when it arrives. And a can of fresh baking powder. We use dried mushrooms in some traditional holiday recipes. Might be short.

Have any of you seen COVID recovery progress where you live? My local Kroger parking lot at noon yesterday was so empty, I thought Jack and I had our days and hours mixed up. Sunday, midday. Yes? No? Inside, the store was just as empty. Few people, even fewer shelves full of food. Is there another hurricane coming? Two stockers. Meat and fresh fruit/vegetables looked normal. Bananas a little puny. But the rest of the shelves? Bread dated expired two days earlier felt and smelled fresh. I thought maybe they over baked and had kept them frozen before putting them out to sell. I could not put my finger on it....Anyone have any explanations?
Same this am in my neighborhood. As if it’s a ghost town. No walkers. No noise. No repairs going on....no lawn mowers. Eeekkk.
Nope. Actually it’s busier around here. Lots of out of state tags (not rental cars, I know to look for the bar codes) And I don’t mean neighboring or close states.

Meats still two per person. Wipes and Lysol sprays have been non existent since March except for the rare 6am unicorn sighting.

Masks? Maybe. Maybe not.

Kids bored? Let’s go to Walmart without masks and let them run amok throughout the store.

TP is back in the store in limited quality and quantity.

Basil is my way and by far favorite herb. Any shared recipes would be more than appreciated. Even if that means a different thread. Chef’s recipes are especially coveted. They seem to be based on plentiful, seasonal selections at local port o’ call stops.
I will tag you on the recipe thread - it was yummy but not the same of course.

SWFL update:
I had to do a Publix grocery run today. They didn’t have anyone to clean the carts anymore. They have a sign that says to sanitize before use and they provide the wipes. I also had my own just in case.

Everyone was wearing a mask. At 3:00pm it wasn’t very busy. Everyone did pretty good standing 6’ apart. I noticed more sale items today. No limits on anything. I did notice many signs clipped to the shelves stating the manufacturer was having difficulty providing product.

Extra things I bought were: 2 bags of sugar, 1 package of butter flavored Crisco sticks, 4 cans of black beans, 1 pack of toilet paper, 2 boxes of tissues, 2 cartons of little juice/veggie drink boxes, laundry detergent and a bottle of bleach.

I couldn’t find gluten free flour that didn’t have any nuts (like almond flour). I will have to make a trip to the bulk store. This is a critical item for us due to food allergies.

I couldn’t find toilet bowl cleaner that doesn’t have a strong fragrance. I really don’t want a headache! A few weeks ago, I put one of those little round bleach things in the tank. I thought that would be a good preemptive strike.

You might want to rethink the bleach tablet in the tank. I found that it eats up the rubber stopper at the bottom of the tank and water starts to slip away.
But I bought tablets when liquid bleach was unavailable 3-4 months ago. I thought I’d make my own bleach if I ran out of the last bottles that I had purchased right after the flood from several years ago. Still here. Still dry and ready to use when needed.
Back up supplies to my regular supplies. Same with naphtha soap. Never bought any before COVID. Haven’t needed to use them yet. But have a couple of bars.
Water. Yes. Time to buy several gallons.

Yes! Too spicy for me, and sometimes cheese doesn't like me, but I've them. Great appetizer.

Jalapeño poppers, or jalapeño bites, are jalapeño peppers that have been hollowed out, stuffed with a mixture of cheese, spices, and sometimes ground meat, and sometimes breaded and deep fried.

Rather than breading them, once stuffed, cover the outside with a thin layer of ground breakfast pork sausage. It takes a bit to get the hang of it. Then bake them as is opposed to frying them. Dip in ranch dressing made from a dry package to control thickness of the dip. Yum.

Yes, Tillicum, please share your favorite recipes for pork loin. I buy now and then and would like to cook it with sauerkraut, but I'm the only one in the family who likes it. I've done it with bbq sauces, etc., but could use some new suggestions. Thanks!

Unflavored pork loin baked in dry onion soup mix that’s been reconstituted with half the water called for on the box. I mix the dry soup in the bottom of the metal granite ware roasting pan with water. Give it a little time to reconstitute. Half hour or so. Place the pork loin in the soup. Roll it around several times. Maybe even let it marinate a bit. Cover the roasting pan with a fitted lid. Bake @350 degrees for 3/4 hour per pound. Easy and deelish. Mashed potatoes using the soup thickened into gravy after loin done baking. Some green veggie or salad.

ETA: pound out a pork loin with the smooth side of a meat hammer. I guess to a 1/4 inch or so. Fill with wilted spinach, garlic whatever you want to add to the spinach. Salt, pepper. Rosemary. Maybe a sprinkle of grated cheese. Spread the mixture over the flattened loin. Roll up the loin. Toothpick it together. I tie it with cooking twine. White string I get at Ace. Or cooking stores. Wrap the loin in bacon if you’re getting carried away. Bake. Once baked, remove the string. It will hold its shape. Slice with a really sharp knife after letting the roast rest a few minutes on the cutting board. Loin should be covered with foil or the lid from the pan while resting. Keeps it moist and hot. Sound like work but it’s pretty simple.

Last edited:

OMG. Please remember to wear latex gloves while handling these babies and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE OR EYES. The juice will cover knives, cutting boards everything that you use.

Nope. Actually it’s busier around here. Lots of out of state tags (not rental cars, I know to look for the bar codes) And I don’t mean neighboring or close states.

Meats still two per person. Wipes and Lysol sprays have been non existent since March except for the rare 6am unicorn sighting.

Masks? Maybe. Maybe not.

Kids bored? Let’s go to Walmart without masks and let them run amok throughout the store.

TP is back in the store in limited quality and quantity.

Walmart shoppers and their children are a big reason I try to stay out of there.

Unflavored pork loin baked in dry onion soup mix that’s been reconstituted with half the water called for on the box. I mix the dry soup in the bottom of the metal granite ware roasting pan with water. Give it a little time to reconstitute. Half hour or so. Place the pork loin in the soup. Roll it around several times. Maybe even let it marinate a bit. Cover the roasting pan with a fitted lid. Bake @350 degrees for 3/4 hour per pound. Easy and deelish. Mashed potatoes using the soup thickened into gravy after loin done baking. Some green veggie or salad.

ETA: pound out a pork loin with the smooth side of a meat hammer. I guess to a 1/4 inch or so. Fill with wilted spinach, garlic whatever you want to add to the spinach. Salt, pepper. Rosemary. Maybe a sprinkle of grated cheese. Spread the mixture over the flattened loin. Roll up the loin. Toothpick it together. I tie it with cooking twine. White string I get at Ace. Or cooking stores. Wrap the loin in bacon if you’re getting carried away. Bake. Once baked, remove the string. It will hold its shape. Slice with a really sharp knife after letting the roast rest a few minutes on the cutting board. Loin should be covered with foil or the lid from the pan while resting. Keeps it moist and hot. Sound like work but it’s pretty simple.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to try these!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken