Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check estate sales and garage sales. You’ll have to hit a few, but they’re always there. Resale shops, too. That’s where I replaced mine after the flood wiped out every thing I had collected over the years.
on canning supplys you might could talk to your walmart store manager possibly they got them their for to be put out in spring and summer

I came back from the food pick up this morning and there was an estate sale down the street. I was tempted to stop in. Maybe find some canning items. Traffic was horrible, people were waiting in line outside. Not many were wearing masks. I decided it wasn’t worth the risk!!

The church must have been gifted some local beef. Look at these 3 steaks! Holy Beef Batman. I like a grilled steak on occasion but I may need to put that big one in the oven. Roast it with potatoes and carrots. I will need to go to the local veg market and pick up some fresh onion.

That other pkg is stuffed pork chops. I have to read the ingredient list more closely but I think I can eat those.

Happy to have a box of tissues with things starting to bloom.

As always, so very grateful for the generosity of others willing to help folks like us. I hope the food pantries and churches in TX, and the other hard hit states, can get a big shipment of food in. Lots of donations too so they can get fresh produce.

Attachments

• 99E875D3-5A4A-477A-941F-CF3191F4E599.jpeg
    99E875D3-5A4A-477A-941F-CF3191F4E599.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 92E4AF35-530C-449A-8369-96B31288AB3B.jpeg
    92E4AF35-530C-449A-8369-96B31288AB3B.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 86
I came back from the food pick up this morning and there was an estate sale down the street. I was tempted to stop in. Maybe find some canning items. Traffic was horrible, people were waiting in line outside. Not many were wearing masks. I decided it wasn’t worth the risk!!

The church must have been gifted some local beef. Look at these 3 steaks! Holy Beef Batman. I like a grilled steak on occasion but I may need to put that big one in the oven. Roast it with potatoes and carrots. I will need to go to the local veg market and pick up some fresh onion.

That other pkg is stuffed pork chops. I have to read the ingredient list more closely but I think I can eat those.

As always, so very grateful for the generosity of others willing to help folks like us. I hope the food pantries and churches in TX, and the other hard hit states, can get a big shipment of food in. Lots of donations too so they can get fresh produce.
Beautiful stuff!! I am a real fan of Brianna’s Dressing, BTW.
I have been both a receiver and giver to food banks. Your posts always make my day.

I have been both a receiver and giver to food banks. Your posts always make my day.
Us too. When I was able to work, we would do the buy one get one snack foods. My girls would take them into the high school’s free pantry. A pkg of applesauce, granola bars, etc.

When they were in college, I used to make cookies, fudge, etc. and ship them. My one girls’ college only had 1 meal on Sundays. Those kids were hungry. I taught her how to cook in an electric skillet. How to clean it in the shower. The kids would sit at the picnic table with an extension cord and make food. They weren’t allowed to use the skillet in the dorm. One day they were out there making bacon! Then they made burgers. LOL!

Me, too. I get a couple bottles whenever Nino's has them on sale. Have you tried Cindy's Kitchen dressings? They are amazing. Cindy's Kitchen Products

I don’t know if I’ve ever had the Brianna’s brand of dressing. I read the ingredient list and could not see anything my youngest is allergic to. She’s allergic to sesame seeds but not poppyseeds. I put it in her pile in case she wants to try it. It’s such a luxury to get something like that for her. I don’t think we’ve ever had poppyseed flavored anything.

Wanted to share a fantastic resource, especially if you are on a budget. I used to do all my shopping at Aldi when I lived in my condo (moved to a retirement home recently where they do all the meals here)
Rachel provides for FREE - every week - a dinner menu with recipes, shopping lists and the menu for a family of 4- everything will be $60 or less for that week and it revolves around what is on sale at Aldi that week. Aldi also has Instacart if you prefer to have your food delivered. Some also have pickup available too.
Mashup Mom - Real food meets real life

Eggland eggs are usually $$$- they claim to feed the chickens lots of omegas...have not researched if that is true sound nutrition, or just hype.

Eggland eggs are usually $$$- they claim to feed the chickens lots of omegas...have not researched if that is true sound nutrition, or just hype.
The carton has lots of claims that’s for sure. My Greek omelet was very tasty as usual. I’m up to 3 dozen in the fridge now so I am going to boil some for snacking and salads.

We get Eggland's Best when they are on special at Nino's. They don't taste different than other eggs, but they do have a very deep yellowish/orange yolk. Lately, Nino's has been featuring the 18-egg carton that is too many for us.

I make my own dressing. Simple can be apple cider vinegar (with mother), olive oil, a touch of mustard (to emulsify little taste unless you add a lot) and any dried herb, salt pepper to taste.

My latest more exotic one is an Aldi special... they always have cilantro. Wash cilantro and put stems and leaves wet in a blender or food processor. Add 1/2 cup to 3/4 depending on how creamy you want it if either skyr or Greek yogurt (plain). Same with apple cider vinegar and a 1/4 cup olive oil. Squirt of mustard. Optional mustard, salt pepper, other herbs , I added fresh parsley to the last batch and yum yum... I add salt and pepper, blend until smooth. It is a solid green. Goes great on vegetables too. I don’t measure frankly... I just add a bit of this and that until I like the taste. Add garlic if you like, I have an allergy (Aw) so .. mellows as it sits, and I was using this for a week or so. Shake well before using.

Come spring, I will make it with basil.

At my last produce pick up, almost 2 weeks ago, there was a spaghetti squash. My youngest is not feeling well so, I ask her if she’d like me to do a bit of food prep for her. She’s sitting in my sewing room on my laptop doing an online something or other for school.

I cut the squash in half and thought wow this knife is just gliding thru this. I split it apart and think, Hmm I don’t remember them having seeds like this. As I’m scooping out the seeds, it gets juicy. I notice it smells sort of like honeydew. Then my hands start itching where the juice has dripped on them.

Lightbulb goes off!!! Yeah I know, I’m slow. Holy Melon!!! I’m allergic to melons, as in I carry an epi pen, just because of them!! Holy $!&/!$@ Batman!!! :-o

I immediately wash my hands like 3 or 4 times. Red skin but no blisters and other just about flippin out, my breathing is ok. My face isn’t swelling and my eyes aren’t itching. I’ll live, even tho I felt dumb as hell.

Needless to say, I’ve never in my life seen a yellow melon. Honeydew is green.
My kid comes out of the room and I say by the way, that’s NOT a spaghetti squash! She is just as shocked as me. She puts it in a big baggie and washes up everything for me. She says well that sure looks like a squash!

So her dinner is ruined. I rummage thru the fridge and cabinet, looking for something, besides lettuce, that I can feed her. Finally, I said ok if you can wait a bit, I will make some potato soup. She said that sounded better anyway since she’s not feeling great.

She was stressed over this exam tomorrow and it was comforting to have soup. I had just happened to pick up a pkg of GF rolls thinking that would be good to go with her squash. Anyway, I sent her home with the rest of the soup.

Lordy, a food fail yesterday. Good grief. How did I not know there were yellow melons??? Food allergies suck.

Attachments

• 2FA78716-B177-41E6-83C9-1B22AF638C22.jpeg
    2FA78716-B177-41E6-83C9-1B22AF638C22.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 297
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics