Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Discussion in 'Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined' started by otto, Feb 22, 2020.

1. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Well, I have my work cut out for me tonight! So many veggies and a totally random pack of Hot Italian Sausage. I popped that in the freezer because I won’t eat it. I’m meeting a friend tomorrow to share, after my youngest “shops at moms” tonight.

Attached Files:

angelainwi, LadyL, CrimeAway and 5 others like this.

2. PayrollNerd

One of my oldest friends who is only 57, is not doing well. The doctor is putting her on SSDI due to her heart, skin cancer and diabetes. Yesterday I took her to the Feeding Tampa Bay food distribution in her county. She had no idea how to sign up or where to go. She’s in too much pain to drive. Now she’s approved thru June. Her husband is disabled and she has her 18 year old Gson who is a senior in high school.

They gave her 4 or 5 boxes of dry goods, a case of produce, 2 frozen boneless turkey breasts that looked like lunch meat, and 2 half gallons of milk.

This is the link if you know anyone in the surrounding counties. They register you while you’re waiting in line.

Find Food

Attached Files:

3. PayrollNerd

After my dentist appointment, I was able to squeak in under the time window for the produce pick up. I don't think I've ever seen asparagus that is as big as these stalks. I need to figure out how to prep and freeze it. Only my oldest eats it.

My youngest made a pasta sauce with fresh carrots and tomatoes last week that was delicious. I think we need to make that again, maybe freeze some of it.

Attached Files:

anneg, dixiegirl1035, LadyL and 3 others like this.
  4. Yesiamapirate

Yesiamapirate Well-Known Member

Look at all of that lovely produce!! Enjoy!!

5. Panhypopit

Panhypopit Well-Known Member

We picked up a bunch of asparagus at Aldi. I usually wash, snap off the bottoms, and then cook in a frying pan with a bit of water... once done to my liking, then I add lemon and salt and pepper and if I am feeling fancy, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. I would likely blanch or partially cook to freeze, but then again, trader joe just sells it frozen uncooked in a bag and you just cook it. So do that! Cook straight from the freezer.

anneg, Yesiamapirate and PayrollNerd like this.
  6. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

It asparagus is very thick, I use a potato peeler on the stalks.

anneg, Panhypopit and PayrollNerd like this.
  7. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

I grow purple asparagus and ever since I learned it can be eaten raw, it hardly ever even makes it indoors to be cooked, but usually is eaten straight from the ground.

When I do cook it I generally cut it in 1-2 inch long pieces and put in in the boiling pasta water for a few minutes (I'm big on one-pot meals).

neesaki, JDG, anneg and 5 others like this.
  8. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Wow- thanks for that info: i will never eat mangoe- i have so many allergies

9. ilovewings

Just in case you want to know just how fat a piece of cheesecake is, 1300 calories for a Godiva chocolate piece of cheesecake: it is actually too rich to eat the whole thing at once so I eat a piece over three days: it is my absolute favorite dessert----we don't get it very often though----reserved for special occasions!!!!

JDG, mickey2942, anneg and 1 other person like this.
  10. mickey2942

I went to the store tonight, and always do "self check" out, especially since Covid. I noticed tonight, how much easier and faster self check is now at the store. They used to be so sensitive, and often needed the attendant to re-set the machine a few times. Now, quick and easy.

11. mickey2942

Yes. Isn't that scary! I never had a clue. I don't eat cashews, or other nuts, they make my mouth itch, inside. How weird is that?!

LadyL, JDG and PayrollNerd like this.
  12. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes Fasten your seatbelts...

Midwestmom2019, LadyL, anneg and 4 others like this.
  13. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 I will do it, but I won't like it

Had a fun shopping experience this week. As with holidays and events, I so miss cooking for others and having dinner parties for a usual group of 6-8. This week, I did a "trunk delivery" from Kroger of cabbage, carrots, red potatoes and corned beef.

Did the long cooking parboil in a very large stew pot... adding each ingredient depending on how long (a la how folks in Louisiana do with their boils!). Anyhoo, made a LOT... and then did servings to deliver to some neighbors.

It felt so good to do, and all were on sale due to St. Patty's day coming up. And all I shared with know I'm isolating.. and all was BOILED so virus free! :p:D

One of my favorite meals, behind chuck roast/potatoes/carrots. As you can see, I'm a meat and potatoes person from the 50's!

ETA and O/T: Did anyone else notice that in their bank accounts yesterday they received not only the stimulus check, but social security checks came days earlier than usual. Yipppeeeee. And sale on garden stuff and flowers at Lowes this week... I'm in heaven!

anneg, janewall, ilovewings and 6 others like this.
  14. BetteDavisEyes

You are so generous, kind, and thoughtful. Friends and neighbors are lucky to have you in their lives :)

anneg, Hazelnutty, ilovewings and 3 others like this.
  15. ilovewings

I second that----

anneg and PayrollNerd like this.
  16. PayrollNerd

This post crossed my mind as I was driving by CF today. I don’t think I could even pick at another piece of cheesecake for a year. So stinking rich. LOL!

ilovewings and Panhypopit like this.
  17. ilovewings

Oh, I can't say that!! I am ready for more CF cheesecake!!!!!!

PayrollNerd likes this.
  18. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

Never too rich or too thin.

Yesiamapirate and PayrollNerd like this.
  19. BetteDavisEyes

PayrollNerd and JDG like this.
  20. PayrollNerd

After picking up groceries and produce this week, I am swimming in cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and zucchini. Both my girls are here so we will divide and conquer. Maybe do some food prep together.

The church also gave me two hyacinths yesterday. I can’t wait until they bloom fully.

Attached Files:

angelainwi, LadyL, Panhypopit and 4 others like this.