Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think of any reason we should expect price increases. Companies, employers, businesses have received trillions in assistance from the US government and states. There's no need for them to raise prices. There are no shortages other than those that have been artificially created.

The US stock market has increased to record levels as have corporate profits.

U.S. GDP and Corporate Profits Likely to Soar in 2021: 5 Picks

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/so-...bers-way-above-what-wall-street-expected.html

S&P 500 near record high on Facebook boost, Nasdaq eases

Last edited:
America’s chicken shortage: Covid-19, sandwiches and wings are to blame - The Washington Post

It’s not like we weren’t warned. The doomsayers predicted this months ago: “A MASSIVE CHICKEN WING SHORTAGE IS BREWING,” blared the headline of one trade publication in early February.

But it turned out to be so much worse.

Bloomberg News, on Thursday: “Fried-Chicken Craze Is Causing U.S. to Run Low on Poultry.”

In other words, not just wings, but chicken in general. Or, as Bojangles put it in a recent tweet about their tenders: “we’re experiencing a system-wide shortage :( But they will be back soon!”...

Just in case anyone in SWFL needs a refresher. This is the Manatee County distribution that I take my friend to on Tuesdays. If you know anyone who needs assistance, you can select from the list of counties and find the date/times. They help you get signed up onsite.

Find Food

Attachments

• F8AE5721-8560-4D00-B23C-2455CA4A78B4.jpeg
    F8AE5721-8560-4D00-B23C-2455CA4A78B4.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 8
Local article, but helpful tips for everyone. We all need groceries :)

How to save money on groceries as prices jump (clickondetroit.com)

Prices for groceries, gas increase amid coronavirus pandemic

The cost of filling your grocery cart seems to be going up every week, but a little planning before heading to the store could lead to big savings.

Andrea Woroch, a money-savings expert, said having a shopping list is essential. Her biggest recommendation to save money at the grocery store is to plan the meals for the week; Know which ones will be eaten at home, and which ones you already plan to eat out of the home. She recommends choosing recipes with overlapping ingredients to stretch your food and dollars further, and always shop in your kitchen before going to the store.

“What do you have in your fridge that’s nearing its expiration date that needs to be used?” Woroch said. “Then look for recipes that use those ingredients.”...

DH made his monthly trip to Costco yesterday for a few items. They were completely out of Perrier so he got Pellegrino instead. I go through at least two cases of Perrier in a month, so that is something that we get every time we go to Costco. We had planned to have sockeye salmon for dinner, but they were out of it. We usually get two or three packages of salmon and freeze for future use each month. We got takeout from P.F. Chang since Costco didn't have sockeye salmon.

Our Caphalon baking sheets had been looking pretty grungy lately, so I ordered two sets of Martha Stewart large and small baking sheets with handles. They are smaller than standard baking sheets, and neither of my racks fit on them. DH got two large baking sheets and two folding baking racks at Costco yesterday. I also needed a new white rectangle casserole baking dish and ordered one from Macy's last week. Haven't used it yet, but it really nice.

It was time to renew our Costco membership, but DH opted out of the Executive membership because we don't go often enough or spend enough to justify the additional cost.

ETA: Even though Costco no longer requires masks, DH said that most customers were actually wearing them. He didn't wear a mask and wished that he had worn his in the store since many were.

Last edited:
DH made a quick stop at Nino's after his swim yesterday. Masks are no longer required, but most people were wearing them. Speaking of Nino's, the June issue of HOUR Detroit magazine arrived yesterday. This is the annual issue of the publication that includes reader choices for the "Best of Detroit". Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace took first place honors in five categories: Bakery, Butcher/Meat Shop, Gourmet Foods, Wine Store, and Caterer. Nino's also placed third in Flower Shop category. Those of us who live near one of four Salvaggio's locations in metro Detroit are truly fortunate to have this outstanding store in our midst. I love my Nino's :)

Last edited:
Another pickup at Walmart today, it was hot (91F) and very, very busy.

Note to self: try to not do a pickup the day after a long weekend!

Other than the waiting around, it went reasonably well, much better than last time.

Lots of delivery guys vying for their orders but the staff made them wait, luckily.

Only the cat food was missing, available in store but not for pickup!?

So, I'm beating them at their own game, ordered enough for a free delivery which should take a few days to arrive.

Still not sure how to get 1/2 dozen bananas instead of a dozen or so. lol

Enjoy your evening!

Local article, but helpful tips for everyone. We all need groceries :)

How to save money on groceries as prices jump (clickondetroit.com)

Prices for groceries, gas increase amid coronavirus pandemic

The cost of filling your grocery cart seems to be going up every week, but a little planning before heading to the store could lead to big savings.

Andrea Woroch, a money-savings expert, said having a shopping list is essential. Her biggest recommendation to save money at the grocery store is to plan the meals for the week; Know which ones will be eaten at home, and which ones you already plan to eat out of the home. She recommends choosing recipes with overlapping ingredients to stretch your food and dollars further, and always shop in your kitchen before going to the store.

“What do you have in your fridge that’s nearing its expiration date that needs to be used?” Woroch said. “Then look for recipes that use those ingredients.”...

My local Kroger store has a tendency to package too many meats for the weekend shoppers. I check the meat counter area late Sunday or early Monday’s to see what has made it to the oops we packaged too many meats area. Half price is always good. Baked goods, too. Just carefully inspect the package to make sure it’s not spoiled or expired. It’s hit and miss. Some days it’s way more than needed, other days, like yesterday, it was bare.

A few weeks back, the food distribution had a bag of Pappy’s dried yellow split peas. I was thinking this is an inexpensive product until I saw them on eBay for nearly $12 for 2 lbs!!!

I’m not a fan of canned peas but I’ll eat frozen green peas. I’m also trying to expand my palate. I’ve never had this type pea but I looked online to see what I could do with them.

I put them in the crock pot with vegetable broth, diced onion, diced carrot, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of real butter. Most recipes called for bacon but my kiddo doesn’t eat meat. I figure real butter will give it richness.

I have it on high and before I go to bed, I’ll turn it on low. I’m thinking I could put together a pan of gluten free cornbread before I leave for treatment tomorrow. I don’t know if it will help my metal mouth but it’s worth a shot.

Attachments

• B0984A6B-E94B-48A6-8BA8-0D8EEE96E627.jpeg
    B0984A6B-E94B-48A6-8BA8-0D8EEE96E627.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 16
6/12 here.

Some of the choices are only in the US, think that tripped me up on some items.

Plus, having never shopped IN the Walmart store, I've never seen the price tags even if its available in Canada. lol

I used to be a bargain shopper to some extent but now, its all about convenience and avoiding lineups and other people, for now.

Another pickup at Walmart today, it was hot (91F) and very, very busy.

Note to self: try to not do a pickup the day after a long weekend!

Other than the waiting around, it went reasonably well, much better than last time.

Lots of delivery guys vying for their orders but the staff made them wait, luckily.

Only the cat food was missing, available in store but not for pickup!?

So, I'm beating them at their own game, ordered enough for a free delivery which should take a few days to arrive.

Still not sure how to get 1/2 dozen bananas instead of a dozen or so. lol

Enjoy your evening!

Knowing you’ll get 12 instead of 6 bananas, (hahaha auto correct wanted Abbas in here!!!) anyway, think about freezing the other half. Peel, sprinkle lemon juice on them and into the freezer. Makes great smoothies, use for banana bread or muffins. Tons of things for frozen sweetness. On a popsicle stick dipped in chocolate??? Let me think…
By the way, Baba peels are a GREAT fertilizer. My auto correct is too much for me today!!! I meant banana peels. Lol. Ok, time to get started on something with the kitchen as a backdrop. Talk to all of you later!

Costco is bringing back its sample stations this week (nbcnews.com)

Food sampling is back — here's how to enjoy it safely.

Food sampling is back: Costco is bringing back sampling stations at 170 of its roughly 550 locations this week, after the warehouse club suspended sample stations 14 months ago, in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Sam’s Club is also bringing back sampling at all 600 locations this week, the warehouse club announced Monday. The company is also relaunching its demo program, Taste & Tips, where consumers can sample foods and review them in stores. For now, demos will only be held on weekends with sealed samples and limited quantities...

^^^ another thing I may never do again, try the samples.

I read that many buffets are back in Las Vegas.

We used to love buffets, not so appealing now.

Life has changed for this family.

I never cared for buffets and hated the "salad bar" craze in the 70s and 80s. So glad that most restaurants did away with salad bars. Having sailed on two cruises with Norovirus outbreaks onboard, there is even more reason to avoid buffets, and food sampling in grocery stores, Costco, etc. is out of the question.

What I find interesting is all the additional packaging that is now being used. But all the people who were up in arms about the plastic waste are no longer complaining.

I went into the gas station the other day. I noticed every single donut in the Krispy Kreme case was individually wrapped. Personally, I think it should have always been that way. You know that had to be quite the investment for that company. (I don't like donuts anyway. LOL!)

At the cancer center cafeteria, the salad bar is now prepared for you. They'll still give you as much as you want of anything. It reminds me of the old Morrison's Cafeteria in the malls years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd