GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by CoverMeCagney, Mar 9, 2019.

1. amayla

amayla Well-Known Member

I think it’s also interesting to note that her friend e mentioned she was sad the last time she saw her. She had been fasting, not showering and giving away her possessions. It was reported very quickly that they thought it was foul play. And now I see they are thinking maybe it was a fall. It seems like a lot of details were put out so quickly before her body was even removed. I hope they get a good trusty worthy autopsy.

Jim_M, Gone Girl, Mamamerced and 4 others like this.
  2. Plumeria5

Plumeria5 Well-Known Member

BBM

This is exactly what I posted very early on. If she fell why didn't the puppy end up with her?
    It was very tiny and hard to believe she would let it just follow along near steep cliffs.

Jim_M, cody22 and swedeheart like this.
  3. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

hike.png

Just reposting this as it seems apt.

RIP Cat

AzPistonsGirl, Jim_M, byo and 6 others like this.
  4. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

RIP Catherine. Fly high beautiful girl. My condolences to her family and friends.
    The puppy could be the reason she fell. What if she put in on the ground and it got too close to the ledge? She might have gone to grab it and tumbled over without the dog? I don’t believe this is foul play. Fasting, eating drug laced cookies and doing a grueling hike in the dark with little to no sleep, all contributed to an unfortunate accident. JMO of course.

TxMother67, Jim_M, cody22 and 7 others like this.
  5. Estrella

Estrella Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Jim_M, cody22 and CoverMeCagney like this.
  6. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

RBBM
    Excellent point. Or she could have tripped over the puppy as well. Heck..she could have been holding the pup and when she started to fall, have thrown her forward to save her. Farfetched, I know. But there are lots of possibilities why the puppy didn't fall with her. JMO

Jim_M, cody22, HayLouise and 5 others like this.
  7. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

Exactly. We will probably never know. I hope someone keeps the puppy in honor of Catherine. I love that she went to a foreign country and looked after one of their dogs.

AzPistonsGirl, Jim_M, cody22 and 4 others like this.
  8. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I posted this earlier to cheer you (and me and others) up.

And this is nice to know.

Amy F "(by the way, the baby girl pup is with us now thanks to our team tracking her down)"

Finding Catherine Shaw

Jim_M, Gone Girl, cody22 and 6 others like this.
  9. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting it again! I must have scanned it while having coffee so it didn’t register. That makes my day! :)

Jim_M, Gone Girl, cody22 and 3 others like this.
  10. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely. My first thought when I read the initial assessment of authorities yesterday that she showed signs of being beaten, was that these were most likely normal discoloration caused by decomposition.

Whether the autopsy in Guatemala is done thoroughly and correctly or not, if I were her family I'd have a second autopsy performed back in the UK.

As for the laced cookies, so far we only heard that story from the hostel owner right? And even she was just assuming that she felt high and spaced out because of the cookies. There has been a lot of confusing reporting in this case from the start. So I reserve judgement for now regarding this accusation. It might be as the hostel owner says, or not.

I pray this turns out to be an accident. It made me so terribly sad yesterday to think she was attacked while enjoying nature and caring for a little puppy.

This is great news! It's what I hoped would happen. That little one was up there likely without a scratch to eat or water for days. Very glad they are taking care of it.

Jim_M, cody22, cybervampira and 6 others like this.
  11. Mrs. Grueby

Mrs. Grueby Active Member

As sad as this all is, I’m hoping it was an accidental fall, and she ended her days doing what she loved. Initially, I thought it was foul play, but after reading all of your thoughtful posts and timelines, I really think she fell. Hugs and peace to her family and friends.

Jim_M, cody22, jessie and 7 others like this.
  12. Hjp

Hjp Well-Known Member

Her death may even be suicide. She left the hostel in the middle of the night, returned, briefly slept for about 2 hours then went back out again to go up the mountain trail.

So we know she was fasting, eating and giving out laced cookies, and may have stipped naked on the summit while discarding her clothes in various places on the way. This is not normal behaviour to be expected from a 23 year old woman, she may have had depression or had something plagueing her mind. None of us may ever know but its a possibility.

Could this have driven her to leave the hostel in the middle of the night to trek up to the summit and leap from the lookout to her death?. If that was the case then at least it was her choice.

13. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of speculation from fall to foul play and it is very likely it could be either, IMO. She could have stripped down, piece by piece, heading up to watch the sunrise and met foul play as certain spots are known for bandits, or perhaps someone saw her nude and had their own ideas and things went down hill from there?

On the flip side, it was clear she was in an off state of mind and perhaps due to her mental and physical state lost balance, fell, or passed out?

And there is still a part of me that wonders if she intentionally walked off the edge of the cliff becoming one with the sunrise?
    She had been traveling for 6 months, was the gap year coming to an end? Then what? It can be a hard transition. It was for Leanne Bearden.

The hotel owner is still not ok, and states: 'My opinion is that she was completely lost and completely on drugs. She didn't know what she was doing. She did things a normal person would not do at all.'

Her parents are trying to deal with their daughter's death including the SM frenzy and speculation with photos being shared of their nude, deceased daughter. At any random time, that photo could land before their eyes. That is heartbreaking.

I wonder if the forensics suggest something nefarious, the parents will still believe that it was a peaceful death for their hearts? Local owners rely on the tourist capital, they don't want the area riddled with fear and rumors either. Sure there are bandits, but the area isn't known for crime on tourists. Will we even know the truth?

Unless there is some definitive arrest or confession, I think there may always be rumors surrounding her death. MOO

Per some updated articles:

The news comes as her family refuted claims by local media that she had been raped and murdered, as investigators continue to assess whether there was any foul play.

They asked for restraint over claims of an alleged leaked police report which stated she may have been raped and murdered.

Forensics officers are still seeking to establish a cause of death.

A statement from the Lucie Blackman Trust on behalf of her family said: 'She was very much a nature lover and adored sunrises, so it seems quite conceivable that she went up the mountain to greet the sunrise, shedding clothing as she went, and due to her lack of intake of food and fluid may have passed out or fallen, causing the wounds to her body.

'Whilst of course at this stage we do not know the full facts, and cannot rule anything out until we do, it is wrong to assume and of course confirm that she was raped and murdered by a mystery assailant when such facts are not evident.'

British backpacker dead in Guatemalan highlands fell 300ft and NO signs of sexual violence, say cops | Daily Mail Online

Response to 'intense speculation' surrounding backpacker's death

TatianaBarbie, Jim_M, Suglo and 5 others like this.
  14. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

(Reminded of the Dutch girls Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froon who went missing in Panama and were found deceased.)

15. Bugurl747

Building off of your comment @Hjp

First psychotic breaks are known to happen in the early twenties. Speculating that she was consuming drugs - The drugs could have triggered a psychotic episode.

Depending on what drugs and how much she could have been in a drug induced psychosis. That would also explain some of her actions, even if they weren't THAT abnormal for her, it was still off.

If drugs were involved, how much did she consume and could they have been cut with something? MOO

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Jim_M, JuJulio, byo and 4 others like this.
  16. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Uh it seems my post was removed. It was the direct link to the post written by rescuer Amy F on the Find page. It was not a link to Amy's personal page and this is not a private post. Amy wrote it on the Find page.

In any case, since someone was not able to find it, on the Find page linked in other posts above, at the top click on "Posts". Then Amy's post is the second or third post down on the page.

Jim_M, Suglo, cody22 and 5 others like this.
  17. Bugurl747

I too hope this is the case, for everyone's sake <3

Jim_M, cody22, cybervampira and 3 others like this.
  18. Hjp

Hjp Well-Known Member

The UK independent reports here...

Body of English woman found dead in Guatemala showed signs of trauma, doctor says

....that a full postmortem analysis would be conducted on Tuesday with a conclusion set for the end of the day.

If the results of the postmortem are not held back like they were with Grace Millane it is possible that what exactly happened will emerge tomorrow together with the results.

Personally I am in agreement with Elainera, If I was the Shaw family I would want to get a second postmortem conducted on Catherine here in the UK when she is flown home just to be absolutely certain.

Jim_M, cody22, jessie and 2 others like this.
  19. Mamamerced

Mamamerced Well-Known Member

Same is true for Hawaii. The Tourist Industry brings big money to the islands. The Charli Scott murder made this point clearly.

AzPistonsGirl, Jim_M, cody22 and 2 others like this.
  20. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Same with lots of second/third world tourist countries I guess. Thailand springs immediately to mind - much as I love the place I am very sceptical about tourist deaths and cover ups there.

Jim_M, byo, Bugurl747 and 3 others like this.