Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by CoverMeCagney, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Herat

Herat Way out West

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Elainera, zecats, margarita25 and 5 others like this.

2. Plumeria5

Plumeria5 Well-Known Member

3. Plumeria5

Plumeria5 Well-Known Member

Sunrise at 6:15 am. Maybe she set out with the puppy to watch it?

lightlady, HayLouise and Herat like this.
  4. Herat

Herat Way out West

HOW TO SEE HER?
    She had nothing with her, just a little puppy white and gray that she found two days before, no shoes.

bbm: The No Shoes part is perplexing me. How / why would she presumably do that climb up to the Rostra Maya without shoes?

Her friend e seems to say the hike was long and enough to tire her out when she did it.

I just keep thinking there is an altered perception issue going on here

5. cobalt sky

cobalt sky Well-Known Member

It seems she was in an out quite a bit, I wonder if someone was watching her, and possibly took advantage of her being alone early in the morning while most everyone else was in bed sleeping. I really hope not but the fact that the puppy was found but no sign of Cat has me greatly worried.

6. Herat

Herat Way out West

Yes. And evidently without shoes on.

I just keep thinking there is an altered perception issue going on here

Bethan, Elainera, ilovematt and 2 others like this.
  7. Herat

Herat Way out West

Yes, the implications of this discovery are ominous

8. Estrella

Estrella Well-Known Member

I wonder if she didn't take the puppy out to use the bathroom, thus no shoes. There are so many puppies and street dogs roaming around all of Guatemala. It wouldn't be strange for someone who abducted her to take the puppy and put it someplace else, maybe a known tourist spot. Again, this area has many ex-pats living there and I can't imagine, now with a reward, that the truth will come out. So many women go missing every year, too many, but rarely tourists.

GarAndTeed, Elainera and Plumeria5 like this.
  9. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

I traveled to Guatemala and spent some time in Lake Atitlan. The lake is surrounded by mountains and three volcanoes. It is breathtaking. Tourists are there year round for various reasons and causes.

There are several villages or communities that surround the lake some rich with art and culture. There is also a lot of drugs and seedy types. I read the puppy was found at the top of a mountain, there are paths all around the lake. There are some areas along that are rocky, high, and dangerous. You could easily slip and fall down the cliff like area or even into the water depending on the path. There are beautiful over looks and certain areas tourists should not go alone.

Homes can range from elaborate to shack. American monies goes a long way in Guatemala. It is a third world country where many do not have running water in their living areas. I met indigenous peoples who lived in huts with no running water. They would urinate and defecate in their fields where their crops would grow which leads to the prevalence of disease.
    There can be beautiful isolated homes tucked into the mountains to lakefront villas with hot tubs. In the city like area, there are shacks where numerous family members live together. Kiddos, dogs, and cats run rampant usually in groups. It is a polar divide of social classes.

Nonetheless, people talk. People listen. I think we will hear some updates soon. I hope that is the case.

I have included a few personal photos for reference.

Per February 28, 2019 Guatemala has a travel risk of Alert Level 2 ( Practice Enhanced Precautions) and Warning Level 3 (Avoid Nonessential Travel) depending on the area being traveled.

Here is some information on this Guatemala International Travel Information

MOO

Attached Files:

• G2.jpg
      G2.jpg
      File size:
      134.3 KB
      Views:
    • G1.jpg
      G1.jpg
      File size:
      136.9 KB
      Views:
    • G3.jpg
      G3.jpg
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
    • G4.jpg
      G4.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
    • G5.jpg
      G5.jpg
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views:
  10. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

I’m so so worried she was inebriated and ended up in a body of water before it was light enough to see well. Either that, or ran into some “friendly people” where things didn’t go so well. I lived in South America when I was her age and i know first hand how letting your guard down in a foreign place feels so invigorating but can also make you extremely vulnerable to situations you might not normally put yourself in... hoping the best for this young traveler! And wishing some sleep for her terrified family

11. Bugurl747

I read how she recently got rid of many of her worldly possessions which could be a sign of depression, but being immersed in their culture is inspiring and can set you free. One can lose interest in things. As far as leaving the hang behind, she could have gone on a walk to watch the sunrise and planned on coming back later. She was staying with some people and might have had no concern leaving it behind temporarily. She comes across as very trusting, IMO

Could be. Drugs are easy to get. If drugs were involved they may have been cut with something potent. She could have lost her bearings and got lost or fell. She could have been drugged. A lot of potential variables. MOO

It is hot there and a lot of people don't wear shoes and majority wear sandals, IMO. So the no shoes thing doesn't seem that outlandish to me. The concern I have is if she was trekking along some of those paths, it is easy to misstep and slip. The paths can start out smooth and easy and quickly become rugged and steep. People walk those paths without shoes all the time though, but she was fairly new to the area and they can be dangerous either way. MOO

It is also possible that she encountered someone with nefarious motives. The mountains are dense. There are huts and houses tucked away.

I recall watching a John Walsh episode about an ex-marine that murdered a beautiful, young woman from Phoenix and then fled to Guatemala. He was last seen there March 2017. He is described as charming, deceiving, a liar, and a viper. I have included the article:

Mother seeks public’s help in finding fugitive ex-Marine accused of killing daughter

MOO

12. Bugurl747

13. Bugurl747

Per the article, she was traveling with her friend Elena at that time. Catherine is said to have been travelling in Guatemala for two weeks having previously been in
    Mexico and California, leaving home in England in September 2018.

"Catherine is understood to have been travelling with her friend Elena on and off for the last two months, and it was she who reported Catherine missing.

Close friend Paco Patchouli, who is based in Mexico and traveled to Guatemala at the behest of Catherine's parents, posted an appeal to his social media page."

For what it is worth, the name Paco Patchouli does not alarm me in anyway. He sounds like a dedicated friend who is putting himself out there for his friend and at the request of her family. MOO

'Desperately worried' parents launch emotional appeal over missing British backpacker, 23 | Daily Mail Online

14. Bugurl747

I'm sorry to keep posting, but I feel it is important to put out correct information. Elena and Paco are 2 different people.

Elena Consolini is a female and was with Catherine in Guatemala. Elena breaks down the entire series of events on her social media account helping spread the word.

Paco Patchouli is a male and who appears to be a close friend to Catherine. He lives in Mexico, which happens to be a place where Catherine had recently traveled.

It is my understanding that once Catherine's family found out she was missing, they asked Paco to go to Guatemala and help look for her. He has been actively posting on social media, too, getting the word out.

The information was outlines in a newspaper article I listed above and can be easily verified by looking at their social media accounts. I hope this helps!

MOO

15. Bugurl747

This video gives a detailed account of the Eco Hotel MayAchik Cat was staying at.
    The room sizes vary from 2 person capacity up to 7.
    It looks like a neat place. MOO

16. HayLouise

HayLouise Law Student

Catherine Shaw: Drones used in missing Briton search

Drones and mapping technology have been used in Guatemala as the search for a 23-year-old British woman continues.

Drones used in missing Briton search

17. katsrfun

katsrfun Well-Known Member

Hello -Thanks for the photos. What a very beautiful country. I understand what you mean about beautiful homes amongst what are basically shacks. It is quite a divide between the wealthy and the poor, and very sad how some must live. Anyway, I am going OT now.

I hope this girl is found and safe very soon. Thanks, Katt

18. Bugurl747

19. Estrella

Estrella Well-Known Member

Experienced hikers, and supposedly SAR dogs, will be searching the area where the pup was found. The area is really challenging, steep, lots of plant growth and very dry and dusty. Our seasons are two in Guatemala, rainy and dry. The elevation is a bit over 5000 feet and it has been very hot. Hoping for the drones and SAR dogs today with lots of volunteers. There is very little in our press about Cat missing. That is no surprise since anytime there is an incident with tourists it is kept out of the Guatemalan press. Otherwise, I would provide a link.

20. iulia

iulia Well-Known Member

Drones and dive teams search for Witney woman missing in Guatemala