**Guilty of 2 of 3 charges (hung on kidnapping)**Verdict watch

Discussion in 'Gabriel Johnson' started by seattlechiquita, Oct 17, 2012.

1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Cost certainly could be a factor. It seems it has in certain cases, Like Kyron Horman's. The state had to justify to the citizenry spending money on a search. In casey anthony's case, the money spent prosecuting her kept being brought up.

But I did want to point out that according to national stats, violent crime rates are actually going down: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/june/crimes_061112/crimes_061112

I think we have always had horrific crimes. (In fact, The Diary of Martha Ballard, written by a colonial woman, shows that is the case). We just have better news coverage and dissemination today.

2. Marigold

Marigold New Member

"Baby Gabriel's mom wants out of jail"

"Baby Gabriel's mother says she should be released from jail until her sentencing on convictions of custodial interference, conspiracy to commit custodial inference and unlawful imprisonment. Elizabeth Johnson has been in jail for nearly three years. Last week, a jury convicted her on three charges in connection with the December 2009 disappearance of her then 8-month-old son, Gabriel Johnson."

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/Baby-Gabriels-mom-wants-out-of-jail-175788741.html

Am I wrong in remembering that Johnson fought tooth and nail with her prior attorneys? Didn't she try to play the psychiatric card too, causing lengthy delays? Someone please help me out, am I thinking of the wrong case?

3. luckygirl

luckygirl New Member

Nope, you are remembering the correct case.

4. artsy1

artsy1 Well-Known Member

As I recall, it wasn't EJ who played the psych card - it was her attorneys. She has always maintained that she is sane, and doesn't need mental health treatment. In fact, IIRC, some of the letters she wrote to the judge talks about how angry she was with her attorneys for claiming she was incompetent.

5. krkrjx

krkrjx The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Yep, and she reminds me of that other one who smiled when she got away with the murder of her child.

6. Ransom

Ransom Former Member

7. artsy1

artsy1 Well-Known Member

Actually, they can't retry her on kidnapping, since she was found guilty of the lesser INCLUDED charge.

8. max2012

max2012 New Member

Thank you for clarifying that...it was pretty clear in the media. Not sure why anyone thought Elizabeth could be retried.