GUILTY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave , 7 May 2017 *GUILTY OF ABUSE OF CORPSE ONLY* *resentencing 2022* #4

JanetElaine

Reaction score
I thought there would be a thread on this one already, but didn't find it. bbm

18-year-old Brooke “Skylar” Richardson gave birth to a full-term baby in May. Just a few hours later, that infant was killed, burned and buried in Richardson’s backyard, Warren County Prosecutor Dave Fornshell says."

The cheerleader from a family “obsessed” with outward appearances was indicted Friday on charges including aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter and tampering with evidence.[/B] The charges come after investigators discovered the charred, decomposing remains of the baby on July 14."

“I think the evidence supports that Skylar and her family, particularly her mother, were pretty obsessed with external appearances and how she appeared to the outside world,” Fornshell said when asked about a motive."

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36...e-in-death-of-infant-found-buried-in-backyard

How... just how. I will never understand. Rest in peace, little one. I hope all involved in this will face the harshest lawful consequences. Ohio does have the Safe Haven Law... she had options.

14446754_G.jpg

(photo Warren County Jail).

Thread #2 - OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #2[/I]
Thread #3 - GUILTY - GUILTY OF ABUSE OF A CORPSE ONLY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave 7 May 2017 #3

Last edited by a moderator:
Abuse of Corpse is 5th degree felony -- the lowest felony.

Maximum Sentence - 12 months

5th degree felony can be sealed, meaning in 3 years after probation it can be removed from her record entirely.

‘This was well over-charged from the get-go’: Sides react to Brooke Skylar Richardson verdicts

ETA: Defense press conference at above link.

Kuddos to Charles M. Rittgers (Jr) for his knowledge and acknowledgement stated in the presser that being found not guilty doesn't necessarily mean you are innocent. Instead, it means that the evidence wasn't strong enough for a guilty verdict.

Last edited:
Sept 12, 2019

A jury has reached a verdict in the murder trial of Brooke Skylar Richardson, the Ohio woman accused of killing and burying her newborn daughter.

After deliberating for four hours and 25 minutes, the jurors found her not guilty of aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment.

She was found guilty of only one charge: gross abuse of a corpse.

On Tuesday, a judge threw out a charge of tampering with evidence, saying that the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof on that charge.

While awaiting the verdict, Richardson, now 20, was visibly shaking. She was breathing heavily and seemingly on the verge of tears. When the verdict was announced, she burst into tears while her parents cried in the front row. “We love you so much,” her mother said to her. “We love you, baby.”

Former Cheerleader Brooke Skylar Richardson Found Not Guilty of Killing Newborn

@AnnInOhio said:
Something I missed that was mentioned in the closing was something about Skylar's mom taking a message from the OB/GYN office and asking Skylar if she was pregnant. Can anyone give me some quick background on what that was about and did they say what the clinic said to mom that made her suspect pregnancy? Thanks.

Here's the screenshot for you -- compliments of @osu

1419b9eb-0df8-41ef-ab78-18d61431a4bc-jpeg.204086

Does anyone know
Did the message from the doctors office here get sent to Kim's email--- or was it sent to Skylar's email which Kim had access to?
I was always confused on that point and have read conflicting things.

Sept 12, 2019

A jury has reached a verdict in the murder trial of Brooke Skylar Richardson, the Ohio woman accused of killing and burying her newborn daughter.

After deliberating for four hours and 25 minutes, the jurors found her not guilty of aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment.

She was found guilty of only one charge: gross abuse of a corpse.

On Tuesday, a judge threw out a charge of tampering with evidence, saying that the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof on that charge.

While awaiting the verdict, Richardson, now 20, was visibly shaking. She was breathing heavily and seemingly on the verge of tears. When the verdict was announced, she burst into tears while her parents cried in the front row. “We love you so much,” her mother said to her. “We love you, baby.”

Former Cheerleader Brooke Skylar Richardson Found Not Guilty of Killing Newborn

I can't even watch the sentencing hearing tomorrow because I know she'll get next to nothing. she has been getting special treatment all along with her low bail and house arrest. will there be impact statements tomorrow does anyone know?

For impact statements the only thing I can think of would be hypothetically if, say, Tre Johnson wanted to talk about the impact of the abuse of corpse crime on him.

A judge isn't going to allow impact statements that stem from charges a jury acquitted the defendant on. So no one will be allowed on go up there and assign blame to defendant for the death. That would be like a mockery of the jury verdict.

For impact statements the only thing I can think of would be hypothetically if, say, Tre Johnson wanted to talk about the impact of the abuse of corpse crime on him.

A judge isn't going to allow impact statements that stem from charges a jury acquitted the defendant on. So no one will be allowed on go up there and assign blame to defendant for the death. That would be like a mockery of the jury verdict.
But she was found guilty on 1 count

But she was found guilty on 1 count
Yep as i said maybe an impact statement on the abuse of a corpse crime.

But the court likely wouldn't allow for example the baby's dad to go up and say Skylar you killed my daughter. because she was found not guilty of that and it would be improper use of an impact statement.

Yep as i said maybe an impact statement on the abuse of a corpse crime.

But the court likely wouldn't allow for example the baby's dad to go up and say Skylar you killed my daughter. because she was found not guilty of that and it would be improper use of an impact statement.
that makes sense thank you

I can't even watch the sentencing hearing tomorrow because I know she'll get next to nothing. she has been getting special treatment all along with her low bail and house arrest. will there be impact statements tomorrow does anyone know?

Actually - I very much doubt it because her guilty verdict for abuse of a corpse is a 5th degree felony -- the lowest possible. No need for anyone to speak - won't influence her sentence.

I believe the maximum sentence is 12 months -- maybe less. Also, BSR has no prior record so judge may even impose 6 months and suspend them.

Also, I just learned from the defense presser that 5th degree felony verdict can be sealed-- meaning that after 3 years probation, it can be removed from her record entirely!!

Today was a win- win for BSR.

Last edited:
Does anyone know
Did the message from the doctors office here get sent to Kim's email--- or was it sent to Skylar's email which Kim had access to?
I was always confused on that point and have read conflicting things.

The only thing we know for certain is that KR was able to view the message. No testimony -- no confirmation about it who it was sent to.

We only learned about it because BSR and KR had a text exchange about it. Mom sent text to BSR demanding she phone her ASAP about clinic report, and BSR replied that she just arrived school and couldn't talk until later.

We learned during investigation that BSR lied to her -- convinced her the "pt pregnant" comment was a mistake because she had just filled the bc script.

Friday, Sept. 13th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 11am ET) - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle “Baby Jane Doe” (May 7, 2017, Carlisle, baby found buried on July 14, 2017) - *Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18/now 20) arrested (7/20/17), charged & indicted (8/4/17) & arraigned (8/7/17) on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony,) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering with evidence (3rd degree felony) was dismissed on 9/9/19 & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony); allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond. House arrest & is placed on a curfew from 9pm to 7am, GPS monitoring, random drug tests & unannounced home visits will continue & surrendered passport.
Trial began on Sept. 3, 2019 (ended 9/12/19). Jury: 7 women & 5 men.
Trial information from 9/3/19 (Day 1) thru 9/11/19 (Day 7) reference post #569 here:
GUILTY - GUILTY OF ABUSE OF A CORPSE ONLY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave 7 May 2017 #3

9/12/19 Day 8: Closing arguments done. Judge read jury instructions. Jurors started deliberations about 11:15am CT. After 3 hours of deliberations, jurors have a question. Jury question: Can we please have simplified definition of abuse of a corpse? Is it against the law to bury a body in your backyard without knowledge? ANSWER: The court cannot provide other definitions. After 4 hours & 25 minutes of deliberations jurors came back with verdict about 3:35pm CT – Verdict: NOT GUILTY aggravated murder, NOT GUILTY of Involuntary Manslaughter, NOT GUILTY of child endangerment, GUILTY of Gross Abuse of a Corpse. Her bond is revoked because she was found guilty of abuse of a corpse and is remanded to custody but will be sentenced tomorrow 9/13.

Friday, Sept. 13th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 11am ET) - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle “Baby Jane Doe” (May 7, 2017, Carlisle, baby found buried on July 14, 2017) - *Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18/now 20) arrested (7/20/17), charged & indicted (8/4/17) & arraigned (8/7/17) on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony,) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering with evidence (3rd degree felony) was dismissed on 9/9/19 & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony); allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond. House arrest & is placed on a curfew from 9pm to 7am, GPS monitoring, random drug tests & unannounced home visits will continue & surrendered passport.
Trial began on Sept. 3, 2019 (ended 9/12/19). Jury: 7 women & 5 men.
Trial information from 9/3/19 (Day 1) thru 9/11/19 (Day 7) reference post #569 here:
GUILTY - GUILTY OF ABUSE OF A CORPSE ONLY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave 7 May 2017 #3

9/12/19 Day 8: Closing arguments done. Judge read jury instructions. Jurors started deliberations about 11:15am CT. After 3 hours of deliberations, jurors have a question. Jury question: Can we please have simplified definition of abuse of a corpse? Is it against the law to bury a body in your backyard without knowledge? ANSWER: The court cannot provide other definitions. After 4 hours & 25 minutes of deliberations jurors came back with verdict about 3:35pm CT – Verdict: NOT GUILTY aggravated murder, NOT GUILTY of Involuntary Manslaughter, NOT GUILTY of child endangerment, GUILTY of Gross Abuse of a Corpse. Her bond is revoked because she was found guilty of abuse of a corpse and is remanded to custody but will be sentenced tomorrow 9/13.
Hi @Niner -- sentencing at 11AM if you want to add via edit. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back