GUILTY - Sidney Moorer RETRIAL for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Alford plea? Sounds more like SM.

An Alford plea (also called a Kennedy plea in West Virginia, an Alford guilty plea and the Alford doctrine), in United States law, is a guilty plea in criminal court, whereby a defendant in a criminal case does not admit to the criminal act and asserts innocence.

google

Ohhh I didn't think of that. So he could get a lesser sentence. Boy that is really gonna chap my hide if so. That means no justice for the Elvis family. I'm going to hold out hope that he can't live with the guilt anymore and is going to tell what happened to Heather and make a plea. Heck maybe his version of the truth will pin it all on Tammy and he could really just be an accessory to murder?

Or Alford plea? Sounds more like SM.

An Alford plea (also called a Kennedy plea in West Virginia, an Alford guilty plea and the Alford doctrine), in United States law, is a guilty plea in criminal court, whereby a defendant in a criminal case does not admit to the criminal act and asserts innocence.

google

I would really hope the judge would not agree to that. He may, though, since he's retiring soon.

I don't think I even knew that judges were involved in plea agreements....I thought it was totally up to the prosecutor and district attorney?

So I don't speak legalese and know next to nothing about proceedings, but I looked up something about a judge being involved in plea bargaining:

In some jurisdictions, prosecutors and defendants canwork with judges to predetermine what sentence the defendants will get if the defendants accept plea bargains. In most jurisdictions, however, judges' role inplea bargaining is limited.

So I guess until we get any word, we can just speculate and hope this is all in favor of Heather and her family and friends :):)

I got an alert for a post on this thread and got excited :) I have not been able to find anything. Don't you think if it was something simple like proceedings or prepping it wouldn't be kept so quiet??

Well - I just checked their "lousy" court site. Wish they would have a box that says "Next Court Date" on there....

Anyway - nothing new on there.

I'm going to post my notes that I have after the June 21st hearing so I can shorten it up a bit. :)

Friday, June 21st: - Update
*Motions Hearing (@ 11am ET) - SC - Heather Rachel Elvis (20) (Dec. 4, 2013, not found) - *Sidney St.Clair Moorer (38/now 43) charged & indicted (2/27/17) with kidnapping & indicted (4/27/18) with conspiracy to commit kidnapping. Plead not guilty. $30K Surety Bond.
Horry County was to be tried in Georgetown County, but Judge brings it back to Horry County (6/21/19).
Was convicted & found guilty (8/30/17) with obstruction of justice charge for allegedly lying to investigators about phone call on night Heather went missing and received 10 years with a year served. First probation hearing on 11/27/18, board voted unanimously to keep him behind bars. Denied parole.

6/6/19: Defense files motions: want to keep Elvis' Tilted Kilt co-workers from testifying. Also want to keep the prosecution from bringing up anything about whether Elvis was pregnant at the time of her disappearance, something that was discussed during Moorer’s initial 2016 trial. A third motion also seeks to limit the time the prosecution has to do further discovery in the case. A hearing on these three motions is set for Friday, June 21.
6/14/19: State prosecutors asked for the trial to return to Horry County (from Georgetown County) as part of several recently filed motions by attorneys in the case. Or have jurors come from Georgetown County to Horry County for trial. Moorer, defense attorneys & state solicitors are scheduled to be in a Horry County court on 6/21.
6/21/19 Update: Judge Markley Dennis grew angry with the state as they argued about comments made by Moorer’s civil lawyer, Eric Poston ahead of trial. Moorer’s civil attorney Poston has made previous statements about Sidney’s innocence. A gag order that prevents the sides from publicly speaking about the criminal case. The judge decided to continue a decision on contempt charges against Poston until a later date, so he can hire a lawyer to represent him. Judge Markley refused (denied) to bar evidence related to Heather Elvis’ possible pregnancy from being used during trial. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t change his ruling in the future based on what is said during the trial. The defense argued for that evidence to be banned as it was not relevant to the alleged crime. Dennis also approved a questionnaire be submitted to the jury, so long as both the prosecution & the defense agree on the questions. The defense also asked to terminate discovery & limit it when it comes to new evidence presented in the case. The judge also denied that motion. The defense wanted the prosecution to reveal how much money they spent on having expert witnesses testify during Tammy Moorer’s kidnapping trial, but Dennis also denied that motion. Judge Markley agreed to move the trial back to Horry County and try to pick a jury for the September trial.
6/28/19 Update: Motion to Reconsider Reversal of Order Changing Venue-Denied. No further dates on court site as of 8/10.
8/5/19 Update: Moorer was transferred from Lee Correctional Institution on Monday. The reason for his transfer is listed as “to court.” The Horry County Sheriff’s Office said that he was brought to JRLDC from Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville at the request of the South Carolina Department of Corrections. Moorer was transferred to Charleston County on August 1. According to Judge Markley Dennis’ assistant, Moorer’s attorney and the prosecutor met with the judge last week, but wouldn’t say why the parties met.
*Tammy Lorinda Caison Moorer (41/now 46) charged & indicted (2/27/17) with kidnapping & indicted (4/17/18) with conspiracy to commit kidnapping. Plead not guilty. Trial was on 10/8/18. Guilty of kidnapping. Guilty of conspiracy to kidnapping. Judge Culbertson sentenced Moorer to 30 years for each sentence, to be served concurrently with time served for any time served thus far (5 yrs). Not eligible for parole.

Well - I just checked their "lousy" court site. Wish they would have a box that says "Next Court Date" on there....

It really is awful! I mailed in a not guilty plea on a traffic citation on Tuesday where I live, and I already know my court date (from the website) even though snail mail hasn't arrived to tell me yet.

Thanks Niner!!

Did they transfer him back to Lee?
I wonder if he is back at Lee .. some rumblings I'm hearing was since the trial is in Horry County, the defense felt it would be better to have Sidney closer to them for preparation and thru the trial?? I was hoping it was for something more juicy like a plea .. but we still don't know 100% the reason for his transferring .. I hope they set the trial date for September here soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288