Gun Control Debate #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
cache.php
Where am I? Google+? [emoji18]

It’s Time To Retire The 'Guns Don’t Kill People -- People Kill People' Argument. Guns DO Kill People.

Imagine if Kim Jong Un, disputing international arms control treaties, blared: “Nukes don’t kill people ― people kill people!”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ill-people-people_us_59e0f6d4e4b09e31db975887

The “guns don’t kill people” argument is flawed because it sidesteps the debate. The issue is not whether guns can spontaneously kill people on their own. The issue involves how incredibly easy a modern weapon makes killing.

Interesting article.

not trolling. it's a legitimate argument.

i own an AR15. it's a S&W MP15

So do very many people.
Probably too many people.
Do you own it legally or illegally?
probably lots of people here also own guns.
What's your point exactly?

Automobiles kill 40,000 people a year. Nobody's calling for THEIR elimination!
How ironic to hear this statement from gun supporters! No, people don't call for eliminating cars. Cars are designed to provide transportation. But because they can be dangerous, we do require that cars and their users be registered, insured and that users be tested before using them.

But we don't do that for guns. We require little other than a background check, which is far short from registration. No testing is required. And, guns are designed to shoot, and thus require careful control, because of their dangerous nature.*

http://www.danielmauser.com/cliches.html

Interesting opinion piece

I already posted about the laziness of the "guns don't kill people..." saying in thread one. It's a ridiculous saying. A gun is a killing machine, designed solely to kill and maim. There is no other purpose for a gun.

I already posted about the laziness of the "guns don't kill people..." saying in thread one. It's a ridiculous saying. A gun is a killing machine, designed solely to kill and maim. There is no other purpose for a gun.

Somebody needs to pull the trigger. It doesn't happen spontaneously.

wrong.

sport shooting is in the olympics, clays are recreational, three gun matches, pistol and rifle competitions, etc

did you buy it legally and what is your purpose and intent in having it and broadcasting it here, is my question/
Passing nICS is simple enough..

of course it's legal. i wouldn't know how to buy an "illegal gun". what even does that mean?

i have it because i have the right to.

Somebody needs to pull the trigger. It doesn't happen spontaneously.

Obviously. I might not know much about guns but I know that much lol. The point is, a gun is a killing machine. Guns are designed to kill and maim. If gun control was actually working imagine how many deaths would be prevented. Not just in mass shootings but murders/suicides/accidents. Gun control laws are not working, and tightening up gun control shouldn't impact on responsible gun owners.

wrong.

sport shooting is in the olympics, clays are recreational, three gun matches, pistol and rifle competitions, etc

And all can still be used to kill. A rifle is a rifle, a bullet is a bullet.

Obviously. I might not know much about guns but I know that much lol. The point is, a gun is a killing machine. Guns are designed to kill and maim. If gun control was actually working imagine how many deaths would be prevented. Not just in mass shootings but murders/suicides/accidents. Gun control laws are not working, and tightening up gun control shouldn't impact on responsible gun owners.

what's the solution then?

Clearly it bears repeating.

Are clay pigeons intact after being shot? Or, rather, are they broken, shattered, or otherwise maimed?

Sigh.
What was that phrase I liked? Oh yes, deliberately obtuse.

We've recognized vehicles can be dangerous, thus it's not legal for my 10 year old stepson to drive. It took a long time for drunk driving to be not be acceptable--it is likely going to take lots of time and repitition before real change is made. Imo

what's the solution then?

Extremely tight gun control. It's what I've stated in the past two threads. If you are a responsible gun owner then the restriction of assault weapons, high capacity magazines, safe sales (with much more stringent checks), ending gun show/private sales, safe storage of both guns and ammo separately and much tougher laws if you don't store your guns/ammo safely and separately, that would be a start for me

It's always interesting imo, to watch people during a US gun control debate start bringing other topics into the discussion. It appears to be a means of deflection to distract others from the on-point arguments.

The problem is imo, the deflectors come across as having no empathy for lives lost forever, dreams that will never be reached, families and relationships that are forever destroyed ..... the list goes on.

Do guns belong in the hands of people with no empathy for others? My vote is no fwiw.

Extremely tight gun control. It's what I've stated in the past two threads. If you are a responsible gun owner then the restriction of assault weapons, high capacity magazines, safe sales (with much more stringent checks), ending gun show/private sales, safe storage of both guns and ammo separately and much tougher laws if you don't store your guns/ammo safely and separately, that would be a start for me

i have some questions. i think i know where you are going, i just want you to say it

1. what is an assault rifle?
2. define high capacity magazines.
3. what are gun show/private sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics