Gun Control Debate #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing a lack of concern for the right to life and safety on this thread at all.

What about comments such as if they don't take my type of gun .... I'm seeing little concern for the right of others to live in safety with those type of comments.

Hunting to feed your family is not at all the same thing as playing video games but cool.

Playing a video game shouldn't make one go out and shoot school children but it has been mentioned as a possible cause.

We all have our opinions. To me hunting is just another form of killing and taking of innocent life.
I get that some need to hunt to put food on their table,but it seems that this thread has turned into a thread about hunting complete with graphic detail.
If some want to blame the violence of music and video games I could also say teaching children to take the life of an animal could also lead to lack of respect for living humans. My opinion.

I am really disturbed by it too.. I will withdraw for now until conversation moves on.. I rescue animals, many are victims of hunts (dog packs and horses here)

I just get too emotional and find it difficult to shift floods of images that fill my mind when I hear the word hunt.
That's just me, my personal stuff..

Playing a video game shouldn't make one go out and shoot school children but it has been mentioned as a possible cause.

Yeah well I didn't make those comments so it's not applicable to me. Hunting for sustenance is also different from hunting for sport.

Being vegan/vegetarian is fine and a choice people can make for themselves, however, attacking the way other families and humans since the dawn of time have chosen to feed their own is gross. Those types of vegans/vegetarians are the ones that make all of them look bad.

We all have our opinions. To me hunting is just another form of killing and taking of innocent life.
I get that some need to hunt to put food on their table,but it seems that this thread has turned into a thread about hunting complete with graphic detail.
If some want to blame the violence of music and video games I could also say teaching children to take the life of an animal could also lead to lack of respect for living humans. My opinion.

O/T quick question: Do you think there's a difference between the meat you get at a butcher shop and the meat someone brings home from a trip to the woods? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just genuinely curious because I know some people see a difference.

Ontopic: I wonder how many mass shooters and school shooters started out as deer or duck hunters.

I am really disturbed by it too.. I will withdraw for now until conversation moves on.. I rescue animals, many are victims of hunts (dog packs and horses here)

I just get too emotional and find it difficult to shift floods of images that fill my mind when I hear the word hunt.
That's just me, my personal stuff..

Same. And I'm a live and let live person. In other words tolerant of others and how they wish to live their lives.
I'm around people that consume animals/meat on a daily basis and sit at the same table with them.
It just isn't my thing. The word hunting doesn't bother me but the glorifying and graphic detail does.
Carry on all. Sorry if I offended.

What about comments such as if they don't take my type of gun .... I'm seeing little concern for the right of others to live in safety with those type of comments.

There are different opinions on how to make things safer on this thread. I'm fine with that.

O/T quick question: Do you think there's a difference between the meat you get at a butcher shop and the meat someone brings home from a trip to the woods? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just genuinely curious because I know some people see a difference.

Ontopic: I wonder how many mass shooters and school shooters started out as deer or duck hunters.

I would think it would be healthier than the meat at a supermarket without the crap they probably treat it with.
I'm curious too about the latter part of your comment.

I love how people think shooting a defenseless animal is a sport.

Respectfully, by definition, hunting for food isn’t the same as sport hunting. Sport is considered recreational, food is necessity.

Growing up, my dad’s family hunted deer every season. They hunted quail and fished, too. They also raised cattle for show and personal slaughter.

The meat fed their family of four, my two grandparents, their three adults children when they’d visit and a motley bunch of grandkids, extended family (my grandma has nine siblings who all lived in the same town) and was served at reunions, weddings, gatherings, large church functions in the community, etc.

It fed dozens upon dozens of family members and the community for months. Nothing was wasted. The whole town was related, just about, formed by German immigrants.

Heck, grandma even had a small still in a closet, and she made her own “wine.”

They weren’t rich by any stretch. None of them were. They are truly cowboys, crop dusters, small farmers — people who live on and with the land.

A half-acre garden at my grandparent’s home provided corn, carrots, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers/pickles, green beans, etc. Extras were canned and jarred.

It resembled any other self-sufficient, multigenerational community. They took care of themselves and each other. They still do.

Just wanted to clear that up, because there are still a lot of folks like that in this country.

They couldn’t afford to eat otherwise.

Yeah well I didn't make those comments so it's not applicable to me. Hunting for sustenance is also different from hunting for sport.

Being vegan/vegetarian is fine and a choice people can make for themselves, however, attacking the way other families and humans since the dawn of time have chosen to feed their own is gross. Those types of vegans/vegetarians are the ones that make all of them look bad.

Sorry you feel as though I attacked. Just posting my thoughts as everyone else is. And just for the record...I'm not an in your face preach vegetarian. Some people I've known for years don't find out until they sit down with me to eat and wonder why I'm not eating a certain food.

If you buy your meat at the grocery store you're just paying others to do your killing for you.

The meat from wild game is much healthier than the meat from domesticated animals that you buy at the grocery store. My family only buys meat from the store as a last resort.

People eat meat and we all know where meat comes from. Unless you're a vegetarian, you're a hypocrite to put down hunters who work hard to get their meat by hunting instead of buying it in a neatly wrapped package at the store.

If you buy your meat at the grocery store you're just paying others to do you're killing for you.

The meat from wild game is much healthier than the meat from domesticated animals that you buy at the grocery store. My family only buys meat from the store as a last resort.

People eat meat and we all know where know meat comes from. Unless you're a vegetarian, you're a hypocrite to put down hunters who work hard to get their meat by hunting instead of buying it in a neatly wrapped package at the store.

Sorry if this was too graphic for you.

No that was fine thanks. Now I'm starting to feel attacked for being a non meat eater or a killer of animals.

I don't know what kind of conditions your husband hunted. I also take offense to the implication that my DH thinks he is "some kind of tough guy'.

We were deep in the Chequamagon-Nicolet National Forest, in SW Wisconsin. Deer season is in late November, with the possibility of very cold weather. Spend four hours in a tree stand, so quiet that Chickadees land on your gun barrel, make a clean kill shot, gut your deer and drag it three miles back to the truck. Don't forget your dressed out deer likely weighs 150 pounds

Minnesota, You are southerners compared to us. Sorry. The weather and conditions in Wisconsins forests do not even compare to the harsh weather of Norhtern Minnesota.

Nowadays people have their 4x4’s if they are going that far into the woods.

I did not say one word about your DH. How would I even know you have one?

If it's so easy how did I use three weeks of vacation from my job last year for deer and elk hunting yet did not put any meat in the freezer?

You have to go where they are. There are deer kills in cities in MN because they are so prolific. I think bows are used. I am sure not guns. I could google but too lazy. I think there are cities all over the US that have deer kills. Not sure though.

They are a problem because of so many . They starve to death so it is felt that it is better to thin the herds.

Some people are upset by this.

Since my husband comes from a hunting family, although he stopped decades ago, he kmows all about understanding animals and their habits and the habitat that they live in.

No that was fine thanks. Now I'm starting to feel attacked for being a non meat eater or a killer of animals.

I cannot stand the thought of killing an animal although I will eat meat if invited to someone’s home.

Animals killed in the woods are not necessarily better at all. There is chronic wasting disease found in deer and elk. Moose are dying from something weird in MN.

Deer graze on brush often by power lines, The brush has often been sprayed with herbicides. And of course they are forced to drink from water that who knows what is flowing in it.

Rabbits get tularemia. Bears eat garbage which of course is filled with the same chemicals that humans eat

You have to go where they are. There are deer kills in cities in MN because they are so prolific. I think bows are used. I am sure not guns. I could google but too lazy. I think there are cities all over the US that have deer kills. Not sure though.

They are a problem because of so many . They starve to death so it is felt that it is better to thin the herds.

Some people are upset by this.

Since my husband comes from a hunting family, although he stopped decades ago, he kmows all about understanding animals and their habits and the habitat that they live in.

They do the thin the herd thing in my area as well. Due to deer coming into contact with people and their property.
When you think about we are the ones taking their habitat with building and expanding. IMO

Respectfully, by definition, hunting for food isn’t the same as sport hunting. Sport is considered recreational, food is necessity.

Growing up, my dad’s family hunted deer every season. They hunted quail and fished, too. They also raised cattle for show and personal slaughter.

The meat fed their family of four, my two grandparents, their three adults children when they’d visit and a motley bunch of grandkids, extended family (my grandma has nine siblings who all lived in the same town) and was served at reunions, weddings, gatherings, large church functions in the community, etc.

It fed dozens upon dozens of family members and the community for months. Nothing was wasted. The whole town was related, just about, formed by German immigrants.

Heck, grandma even had a small still in a closet, and she made her own “wine.”

They weren’t rich by any stretch. None of them were. They are truly cowboys, crop dusters, small farmers — people who live on and with the land.

A half-acre garden at my grandparent’s home provided corn, carrots, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers/pickles, green beans, etc. Extras were canned and jarred.

It resembled any other self-sufficient, multigenerational community. They took care of themselves and each other. They still do.

Just wanted to clear that up, because there are still a lot of folks like that in this country.

They couldn’t afford to eat otherwise.

People do hunt for sport. There are all kinds of trips for sport hunting of all kinds of animals. Boars in New Zealand, endangered animals in Africa, game farms in the US. There are other kinds of animal hunting farms in the US as well.

They do the thin the herd thing in my area as well. Due to deer coming into contact with people and their property.
When you think about we are the ones taking their habitat with building and expanding. IMO

True in some ways. But the easy eating of people’s gardens rather than having to survive in the woods has allowed them to prosper far more

Most supermarket meat is from factory type places where fattening the animals and just warehousing them until kill time is the most important thing which means those horrific cages you see PETA people talking about? And hormones and antibiotics which wouldn't be in a wild animal?

Vegans are fine by me! My only issue is with pescatarians who claim to be vegetarian as though fish don't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member