Gun Control Debate #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had several armed rebellions in Australia in our early days. One took over the government of the time. Look up the Rum Rebellion or the Eureka Stockade.

I am not sure what that means. Civil war over a right to allow people the means to shoot kids in classrooms?

How much blood was spilled when Australia’s current gun laws went into effect?

IMO people threatening violence if the gun laws here are changed need to be put on a watch list.

We had several armed rebellions in Australia in our early days. One took over the government of the time. Look up the Rum Rebellion.

But when it came time to enact sensible gun laws and save lives Australians went along with it peacefully, right? I don’t remember a civil war in Australia in my lifetime.

How much blood was spilled when Australia’s current gun laws went into effect?

IMO people threatening violence if the gun laws here are changed need to be put on a watch list.

No blood was spilt. Lots of men who had guns for hunting, initially, said that they were not going to give up their guns, then they found out that they were not required to, They just had to register them and become a licensed shooter and they were ok with that.

But when it came time to enact sensible gun laws and save lives Australians went along with it peacefully, right? I don’t remember a civil war in Australia in my lifetime.

Maybe they had to go along with it because they don't have a bill of rights.

Australia does not have a bill of rights, and that, ultimately, is the reason it was able to confiscate guns. Australians have no constitutional right to bear arms, so seizing their weapons did not violate their constitutional rights. Gun confiscation in the United States would require violating not only the Second Amendment, but the fourth and fifth as well, and possibly even the first.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/25/the-australia-gun-control-fallacy/

Australia does not have a bill of rights, and that, ultimately, is the reason it was able to confiscate guns. Australians have no constitutional right to bear arms, so seizing their weapons did not violate their constitutional rights. Gun confiscation in the United States would require violating not only the Second Amendment, but the fourth and fifth as well, and possibly even the first.

Australia has a constitution which is linked the the British Bill of Rights, which your bill of rights is copied directly from.

I am not sure what that means. Civil war over a right to allow people the means to shoot kids in classrooms?

I don't think so. People in the States have the constitutional right to defend themselves and they are not willing to give up that right in a lot of cases. And no one is saying it's ok to shoot up a school or any other place for that matter. Out of the many people living in the U.S. i think most are still responsible gun owners. There are many more people getting killed on the roads in the U.S. than from gun violence, not that that excuses these horrible gun attacks. As the world get crazier we are probably going to see more of it too. All IMO.

And guns were not confiscated. People handed them in for the greater good of citizens. There was no confiscation.

And guns were not confiscated. People handed them in for the greater good of citizens. There was no confiscation.

Are you saying that there is no penalty for not turning in guns that the government of Australia has deemed illegal for citizens to possess?

(quote)
Gun laws in Australia are mainly the jurisdiction of the country's states and territories, with the importation of guns regulated by the Federal Government.

A person who possesses or uses a firearm must have a firearm licence. Licence holders must demonstrate a "genuine reason" for holding a firearm licence[1] and must not be a "prohibited person". All firearms in Australia must be registered by serial number to the owner, who also holds a firearms licence.

Firearms were introduced into Australia with European settlement on 26 January 1788. The colony of New South Wales was initially a penal settlement, with the military garrison being armed. Firearms were also used for hunting, protection of persons and crops, in crime and fighting crime, and in many military engagements. In the last two decades of the twentieth century, following several high-profile killing sprees, the Federal Government coordinated more restrictive firearms legislation with all state governments. Gun laws were largely aligned in 1996 by the National Firearms Agreement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

Australia Banned Automatic & Semi Automatic weapons.
se

No one went knocking on doors and confiscated those semi automatic weapons. Since you have been living in Australia, how many school shooting have you seen?

I've posted a few links tonight showing people in the United States using firearms to defend themselves against the never ending bands of miscreants who mean all of us harm.

Most of these average citizens where able to prevent themselves and their families from being harmed without firing their gun or killing anyone.

I commend them for standing up against evil and not allowing themselves to become victims. JMO

BBM

I understand, and, am pro 2nd Amendment. My cousin would be dead if she hadn't been able to get to her firearm. She still got badly beaten while struggling to get it. However, I don't see the 2A being rolled back in my lifetime. I have never lost a moment's sleep over it.

I think that we need to look within our own country, like;

Look at states that have had significant time periods, of low firearm death rates/violent crime, and see what they are doing.

Look at states that have made changes after mass shootings and it's been positive.

Look at the folks who committed the act instead of wishing them death.

Toss LWOP w/ mandatory therapy, on the table, instead of the DP, and learn what took them down that path. It may save lives, as well as the lives of future shooters and their families, who are also destroyed.

When I was 17 or so , I was swimming in the river, and sunning on the banks, with a cold beer, and nommin' on frog legs. WTH has happened? :(

bris
We have a constitution and laws enacted under that constitution. We also are protected by the rights of the British Bill of Rights.

You got a link for that? i would be interested to read about that. TIA.

se

No one went knocking on doors and confiscated those semi automatic weapons. Since you have been living in Australia, how many school shooting have you seen?

(quote)
But one of Howard's other lasting legacies is Australia's gun control regime. The law banned semi-automatic and automatic rifles and shotguns. It also instituted a mandatory buy-back program for newly banned weapons.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...guns-after-a-massacre/?utm_term=.39f80fe4ebd2

That is why firearms in Australia have to be registered with Police. So they know exactly where you live and how many weapons and what type of weapons you own. They can come and check on your property anytime to see your guns are locked up as required.
You also used to have to do so many hours a month at a shooting range to maintain your weapons license.

BBM

I understand, and, am pro 2nd Amendment. My cousin would be dead if she hadn't been able to get to her firearm. She still got badly beaten while struggling to get it. However, I don't see the 2A being rolled back in my lifetime. I have never lost a moment's sleep over it.

I think that we need to look within our own country, like;

Look at states that have had significant time periods, of low firearm death rates/violent crime, and see what they are doing.

Look at states that have made changes after mass shootings and it's been positive.

Look at the folks who committed the act instead of wishing them death.

Toss LWOP w/ mandatory therapy, on the table, instead of the DP, and learn what took them down that path. It may save lives, as well as the lives of future shooters and their families, who are also destroyed.

When I was 17 or so , I was swimming in the river, and sunning on the banks, with a cold beer, and nommin' on frog legs. WTH has happened? :(

So sorry that happened to your cousin, and in that instance it saved her life. So thank goodness she was able to protect her life. I definitely think the world is a much different place now to what it used to be and with all the drugs and violence etc. nowadays it is overwhelming in some places for sure.

That is why firearms in Australia have to be registered with Police. So they know exactly where you live and how many weapons and what type of weapons you own. They can come and check on your property anytime to see your guns are locked up as required.
You also used to have to do so many hours a month at a shooting range to maintain your weapons license.

I kinda dig that 4th amendment too. j.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member