Gun Control Debate #5

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by Tricia, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blef

Blef Verified Criminologist

How do YOU think guns could be safer? How do YOU think guns could be kept out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them?

2. bobcat

bobcat Member

I've already stated that. Background checks for all gun sales, and minimum age of 21 for gun purchases.

3. bobcat

bobcat Member

IMO, requiring some sort of electronics on a gun to read a person's fingerprint before it will fire, IS the same as banning all guns. Because guns now are not like that, and if they are in the future, they would be unaffordable for most people.

4. Woodland

Woodland Well-Known Member

You got nuthin' imo.

5. bobcat

bobcat Member

That was probably me. I bought my daughter a rifle for hunting. It's a bolt action that holds three cartridges in the magazine. I highly doubt it will ever be used to commit mass murder, or any murder for that matter. It's in a safe and my daughter doesn't have access to it. She doesn't care about having access either. She'd rather play Minecraft on her iPad than shoot her gun. Liability insurance? Another idea that is impractical and just plain wrong. Will never happen. The insurance would be for what? I don't get it? No matter what, I would never buy it anyway.

6. bobcat

bobcat Member

I guess not because I certainly can't agree with most of the ideas I hear from others.

7. ohreally

ohreally New Member

Please understand I am not trying to disrespect Canada in any way. If anything I am saying Canada is doing something right. The United States gun problem is far worse than Canada. I believe it is beyond the regulating of guns as there are many illegal guns in the country yet there are no school shootings. Why? I am asking sincere questions. Sometimes we need to look at what other coutries are doing to get to the bottom of our own problems. Do you all have medal detectors in your schools? Do you all have armed security at your schools? Is juvenile mental health treated better there than here?
    IMO there is the ability in both countries to have school shooting, yet it is not happening in Canada, and it is beyond gun registration making the differance.

8. Woodland

You highly doubt - doesn't say anything imo.

Who said anything about mass murder? Again with an incorrect interpretation of a statement never intended.

Let's not speak directly anymore - it goes nowhere imo. I know your stance - it's enough.

9. ohreally

ohreally New Member

Thank you, and I agree. I have had several posts laughed at because people have not liked the MSM I was getting some of my information from, so I figured I'd be up front with were I got the information from, so at least if my link got haha by any other poster others could see that I was getting my source from close to neutral and with a high reporting rating.

10. flourish

flourish Now With 30% More Emo

Of course it is... Any idea anyone has ever suggested except do nothing is just impractical. Let's all just give up, then. Gun lovers win, everyone loses. Dead kids aren't worth even considering something that might be hard.

[emoji93]

11. Woodland

I don't think it's what we have done recently - imo it's what we never did and never considered doing.

12. MaryG12

MaryG12 Well-Known Member

BBM

I would like to add:

How are children taught how to handle rejection, handle being bullied, and manage their anger in Canada?

What is the state of the nuclear family in Canada? Is it healthy, or in dire straits?

13. MaryG12

MaryG12 Well-Known Member

Also - I realize this may be a stretch for some although there has been scientific studies on diet and individual behaviour in the past:

What about the diets of these school shooters, especially ones who are present students at the school?

Why are they flying off the handle and shooting fellow students, like that kid today at that high school in Maryland?

14. flourish

I know enough about guns to have grown up with them, owned them, fired them, buried many friends and family members on account of them, and my husband is permanently scarred from one.

But, no, of course I'm just too ignorant and liberal and impractical to have an opinion on the matter.

Thanks for setting me straight.

15. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

I agree as they are ideas that would punish millions of law abiding citizens.

16. Woodland

Maybe another thread for this analysis? We don't want to derail this one right?

17. flourish

Who said they have to be affordable?

Phones have that technology and it's not cost prohibitive.

Really, with all the technology available REALLY nothing like that could be done? Poppycock.

If the NRA decided that's the ticket you can be sure funding would suddenly be found.

18. Blef

So what are YOUR ideas to stop gun violence?

19. Woodland

Have not seen anyone suggest punishment of law abiding citizens.

20. Blef

Is it plain wrong to make sure vehicles are insured? What do you think insurance is for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.