Gun Control Debate #6

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by Tricia, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EuTuCroquet?

EuTuCroquet? “What's happening to my special purpose!?”

Right.

They’ve just become more deadly, not more frequent.

2. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

With all the goofy stuff this Hogg guy is saying, I'm to beginning wonder if he's an NRA shill-brilliant strategy if true!

3. EuTuCroquet?

Column: White people don’t understand the trauma of viral police-killing videos

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/column-trauma-police-dont-post-videos

4. EuTuCroquet?

Right?! NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch fires back with the extremist rhetoric like: "Many in legacy media love mass shootings," saying the "left" use "their media to assassinate real news."

I'm not sure the gun-business lobby deserves a seat at this table, imo.

5. Woodland

Woodland Well-Known Member

Was browsing gun violence and came across a clip of Meghan McCain giving an opinion on The View. I'm not a fan so not going to link it here, but it's not hard to find for anyone wanting to hear it.

MM makes a statement while discussing the Parkland Shooting aftermath - paraphrasing - any talk of gun control makes people like me paranoid. The word paranoid stood out as I'm sure I see paranoia in various posts and articles on the same issue, but this is the first time I have heard someone say they are paranoid at the mention of gun control.

MM doesn't say, in the clip anyway, what she is paranoid of. A feeling of paranoia is pretty strong, it takes a lot to bring that out in someone. Is it the result of some sort of indoctrination? From the NRA? MM mentions she is a strong supporter of the NRA.

MM's paranoia is an issue for MM imo - if she is speaking out against gun control because she is paranoid, then I cannot take her seriously. I'm under the impression many others feel the same way as MM - what is always lacking in such opinions is any consideration or empathy for those that have been injured or killed from the many guns available.

Some paranoid people are keeping the whole population hostage? Idk but sure wonder now. Thank-you to MM for her candor or whatever it was that caused her to reveal she is paranoid over gun control.

6. kimlynn

kimlynn Former Member

I wonder if NRA members know or care that their dues and donations are being used to pay off politicians.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nra-donations-parkland-shooting_us_5abc9a9ce4b06409775d3255

Donations to the group spiked in the aftermath of the school shooting, in which a former student armed with an assault-style rifle killed 17 people. According to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, the NRA received “twice as much money from nearly five times as many donors” in the week after the shooting, compared with the week before.

7. human

human Well-Known Member

Driving since 66. From Minnesota, It was that way forever and then I do not know when it changed. Your state may have been different. Minnesota was always more Mayberry and polite back in the day.

Our constable knew everyone, With issues, he went and spoke with the parents. And I lived in a place in the country that was originally settled by those who did not want to live among others. Lots of rule breakers.

Of course, as time went on, the beautiful unspoiled land was seen as a huge plus and the population changed a lot. But the constable and his deputy knew everyone,

8. human

human Well-Known Member

Is there a poll that asks them if they are scared of dying because so many people have guns nowadays?

9. human

human Well-Known Member

This is beyond sickening.

America says it is some kind of freedom democracy leader.

What a joke. There are so many posts here talking about armed motorcycles, civilians with guns, and on and on.

Sounds more like some kind of terrifying countries that live in constant war.

10. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/...-admission.html?smid=tw-nytnational&smtyp=cur

“I wanted to make a difference through storytelling and political activism, but I am already doing that now.”
    The Parkland students are a case study in civic engagement. They are among the leaders of the #NeverAgain movement, collectively delivering fiery speeches that demand change, promoting their message on social media and organizing the March for Our Lives rally held last weekend, which drew participants from across the globe.

These kids are utterly inspiring.. amazing fresh energies.. bright and intelligent.

I so wish them well.

11. Safeguard

Safeguard On Time Out

This whole thread just makes me so sad. I mean it's not like this thread is gonna make a difference anyway, we are here, (all what? five of us?) to mainly argue, not debate...

I think it's horrible and disingenuous, to frighten our children by acting as if every day in school could be their last.

My daughter Lily attended her very first St. Patrick's day parade in Boston this year. (I'm not a big fan, I personally feel it should be renamed, Binge Drinking Day from personal experience), But her best friend was going, and they invited her. She was excited but she said to me, as she was getting ready, " I am a little anxious that there might be a shooting or something":...

I said, " No one ever kills leprechauns, it's very bad Karma! Go and enjoy yourself!" She had a marvelous time. They threw candy tee-shirts, hats, and she came home loaded with green bead necklaces... :)

I will insist that my child not live in a world of political paranoia.

When a killer goes off the rails and decides to kill their fellow human beings, I feel that is the most traumatic loss of life that exists. And for people who amplify the risks of that occurring for political gain are no better than sadists... Especially when they insist on perpetuating the myth that removing constitutional rights from American citizens is the answer to violence when we all know that's not true. IMO>

12. flourish

flourish Now With 30% More Emo

RSBM

Please speak only for yourself.
    And here you are, too.

Leprechauns aren't immune to violence. I realize you were being comforting and reassuring, but... I don't know...reality and what not. I mean, I'm making the assumption that she's old enough to know leprechauns aren't real, anyway.

Neither here nor there probably.

13. Safeguard

Safeguard On Time Out

bbm
    Yes. she is almost 13 so old enough to understand that leprechauns aren't real, and also that guns aren't Evil and barring access to them, for sane competent people, will cost lives, not save them.

It's mind boggling to me, that twenty little kids huddled in corner and slaughtered, is preferable to some than an armed teacher... but we will never see things the same, I am thinking... Does anyone here have a child in school... Just wondering...

ETA oh, and I was speaking only for myself Florish ( a skill I dare say you could polish), and yes. I am here too. Because we are a nation governed by constitutional rights, not a democracy...

14. flourish

flourish Now With 30% More Emo

It's mind boggling to you because it's not an either or situation and therefore isn't accurate. Your mind bogs are telling you something just may not be what you think.

15. Safeguard

Safeguard On Time Out

16. EuTuCroquet?

While Parkland students fight mass shootings, don't forget everyday gun reforms: Bo Dietl

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/03/29/gun-control-commonsense-reforms/465465002/

17. EuTuCroquet?

Police Shootings Are Gun Violence, Too. Alton Sterling was a victim.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/police-shootings-are-gun-violence-too

18. EuTuCroquet?

Fox host apologizes for taunting Parkland student David Hogg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43587230

19. EuTuCroquet?

Gun Policy Is Already Changing In The Wake Of Parkland

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-policy-is-already-changing-in-the-wake-of-parkland/

20. EuTuCroquet?

Investors push gun companies for 'immediate, positive' steps to end violence

• Institutional investors call on companies to take meaningful action
    • Firms must ‘take a public stand in favor of improved gun safety’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/29/investors-gun-companies-action-violence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.