Gun Control Debate #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Students rally against gun violence in Paul Ryan's home town

http://www.businessinsider.com/students-rally-against-gun-violence-in-paul-ryans-home-town-2018-3

• Some Wisconsin students who took their demonstration against gun violence on the road reached their destination Wednesday — House Speaker Paul Ryan's home turf.

• About 50 students set out Sunday from Madison on their "50 Miles More" march.

• The march came more than a month after a gunman killed 17 students and staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Was the NRA Founded to Protect Black People from the Ku Klux Klan?

Revisionist accounts of the origin of the National Rifle Association say it was formed to help freed slaves defend themselves against racist attacks after the Civil War.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nra-founded-protect-black-people-kkk/

While it is not impossible that some black Americans were indirect beneficiaries of the NRA’s firearms training evangelism after the Civil War, we rate these revisionist notions about the group’s founding purpose False.

bbm

Threatened by youth movement, NRA exploits racial divisions

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...s-race-card/9rVPNn5xdQFnuSjekFRN6M/story.html

By casting the students from Parkland, Fla., whose classmates were recently gunned down by a mass shooter, as just more out-of-touch white liberal lobbyists, the NRA is making an overt racial appeal to nonwhites to reject the wave of antigun protests sweeping the country.

It is both a blunt racial appeal and a sophisticated strategy rife with coded language.

NRA experts said the new strategy could be a sign of an increasingly fearful organization. After the mid-February shooting that killed 17 people in Parkland, student activists have presented the American gun lobby with its most formidable opponent in years.

“There’s a recognition from the NRA that this is a more real threat than other gun-control movements,” said Scott Melzer, author of a 2009 book called “Gun Crusaders: The NRA’s Culture War.”

The strategy of race-based attacks has left liberal organizations and gun-control advocates fuming, especially because Saturday’s march went to great lengths to include prominent minority voices from different racial backgrounds.

The opposition has been so fierce that Killer Mike has already apologized for his appearance on NRA TV. In a two-part video posted the same day the NRA video was released, the rapper said he now realizes the NRA used his words as a “weapon” against the March For Our Lives.

“I’m sorry that an interview I did about a minority, black people in this country, and gun rights was used as a weapon against you guys,” he said. “That was unfair to you and it was wrong, and it disparaged some very noble work you’re doing.”

bbm

Killer Mike has shared the full NRA interview after facing criticism for his gun control views

http://www.nme.com/news/music/killer-mike-nra-interview-2275987

Killer Mike has also apologised, and said that his decision to sit for the NRA interview was motivated by Martin Luther King’s reputation for engaging in debate with opponents.

“I sat with people that I might not always agree with”, he explained.

“I sat with a group called the National Rifle Association and I did an interview about black gun ownership in this era.

“That interview was used a week later by NRA TV to disparage a very noble campaign that I actually support.”

Column: Anthony Rizzo goes deep calling for stricter gun laws

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-cubs-anthony-rizzo-haugh-20180329-story.html

In a walking exhibit of empathy, Cubs players wore maroon T-shirts with “Stoneman Douglas” on the back and #MSDStrong on the front, an opening-day tribute to the 17 victims of the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. Maddon’s foundation, “Respect 90,” purchased the shirts for the Cubs.

“Every day you think of them and feel for what happened,’’ said Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo, a 2007 Stoneman Douglas graduate. “It’s where I’m from. It’s my city. It’s where I was raised.’’

It’s who Rizzo is, a community-minded, socially conscious person with compassion who’s on the right team at the right time to do something about it.

Vermont Senate To Decide Friday What's Next For Sweeping Gun Control Bill

http://digital.vpr.net/post/vermont...whats-next-sweeping-gun-control-bill#stream/0

A weeks-long debate in the Vermont Legislature over controversial gun legislation could come to end on Friday: That's when the Senate is scheduled to hold a final vote on a bill known as S.55.

The legislation would require background checks for private gun sales, raise the minimum age for buying a gun to 21, and ban the sale or purchase of high-capacity magazines and bump stocks.

Senate leaders say they hope to have one final up-or-down vote on the bill, before sending it to the desk of Gov. Phil Scott.

Hm. We're a nation of laws, Safeguard.

Maybe that's easy to forget sometimes.

But hey, what good is a Democracy without law and order?

:loser:

Speak for yourself Florish. ;) Cause you know what? My kid doesn't believe in Leprechauns, and I also don't want her believing in the myth gun legislation makes us safer...

bbm

Gun owners would not have to give up their guns under 'assault weapons' ban

http://www.politifact.com/new-york/...ners-would-not-have-give-their-guns-under-as/

Cicilline's bill would ban the sale of new semi-automatic firearms with certain military-style features:

• Rifles that can accept a detachable magazine would be banned from having a pistol grip, a forward grip, a threaded barrel, a barrel shroud, a grenade or rocket launcher, or a folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.

• Pistols would not be allowed to have a fixed magazine with more than 10 rounds. They would also be banned from having a threaded barrel, a second pistol grip, a barrel shroud, and the ability to load a magazine at some location other than the grip.

• Shotguns would be banned from having a detachable magazine and a fixed magazine would not be allowed to have more than five rounds. The same features banned for pistols and rifles would also be banned on shotguns.

Semi-automatic weapons sold without any of those features would still be legal to own and sell. The gun would become illegal if the owner decided to add any of those features.

Those who legally bought a gun with those features before the ban would not have to give them up. Those weapons would be grandfathered in, but a background check would be required if the owner sells it to someone else. They would also have to be locked up when not being used.

This whole thread just makes me so sad. I mean it's not like this thread is gonna make a difference anyway, we are here, (all what? five of us?) to mainly argue, not debate...

I think it's horrible and disingenuous, to frighten our children by acting as if every day in school could be their last.

My daughter Lily attended her very first St. Patrick's day parade in Boston this year. (I'm not a big fan, I personally feel it should be renamed, Binge Drinking Day from personal experience), But her best friend was going, and they invited her. She was excited but she said to me, as she was getting ready, " I am a little anxious that there might be a shooting or something":...

I said, " No one ever kills leprechauns, it's very bad Karma! Go and enjoy yourself!" She had a marvelous time. They threw candy tee-shirts, hats, and she came home loaded with green bead necklaces... :)

I will insist that my child not live in a world of political paranoia.

When a killer goes off the rails and decides to kill their fellow human beings, I feel that is the most traumatic loss of life that exists. And for people who amplify the risks of that occurring for political gain are no better than sadists... Especially when they insist on perpetuating the myth that removing constitutional rights from American citizens is the answer to violence when we all know that's not true. IMO>

Maybe if young people didn't have access to weapons that they have no right to, then she would have nothing to fear. In my opinion there are too many people in the US who don't store their weapons securely so that those who shouldn't have them cannot get hold of them. Current legislation is failing. It's not about scaring your child, but educating them. If you want her to believe that gun crime isn't a problem then she might as well believe in leprechauns. I'd rather teach my children that there are risks in life, that's why I taught her not to run into the road. I could have pretended that people never get knocked down by cars, and she could live in ignorant bliss, but then she would never realise that it's dangerous to run into the road.

bbm
Yes. she is almost 13 so old enough to understand that leprechauns aren't real, and also that guns aren't Evil and barring access to them, for sane competent people, will cost lives, not save them.

It's mind boggling to me, that twenty little kids huddled in corner and slaughtered, is preferable to some than an armed teacher... but we will never see things the same, I am thinking... Does anyone here have a child in school... Just wondering...

ETA oh, and I was speaking only for myself Florish ( a skill I dare say you could polish), and yes. I am here too. Because we are a nation governed by constitutional rights, not a democracy...

RBBM. To me it's mind boggling that selfish individualism trumps the safety of all. People would rather protect their second amendment rights than admit that there is a gun crime problem in the US and something needs to change it seems, and that is just such an alien concept to me. Gun control is not in control in the US, and I don't get why some in the US put their individual "rights" over the good of society as a whole?

I respect and have compassion for all of the survivors from Parkland. That is not in question. David Hogg is putting himself out there and making some pretty controversial statements. Statements that deserve rebuttal. IMO he doesn't get to say whaever he wants and no one is allowed to question his statemets because he is a survivor. I cannot believe the audacity he has to talk about the police like he is when they were put in place to protect him and his fellow students after the shooting and students were bringing knives to school. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...ecome_a_prison_hundreds_of_racist_police.html

RBBM. To me it's mind boggling that selfish individualism trumps the safety of all. People would rather protect their second amendment rights than admit that there is a gun crime problem in the US and something needs to change it seems, and that is just such an alien concept to me. Gun control is not in control in the US, and I don't get why some in the US put their individual "rights" over the good of society as a whole?
What I don't understand is why people people believe that taking away the second admendment will cure our gun problem. It is not the legal gun owners doing the murders and reeking havoc on entire communities. Gun reform can be done without doing away with our 2nd admendment rights. The reform needed is ways of getting illegal guns and those that are illegally using them taken off the streets. Ones stealing legal guns need a far harsher sentence than someone stealing a tv from a home. Many, many ways to help get rid of our gun problem while at the same time allowing our 2nd admendment right to protect ourselves from the illegal guns.

It's mind boggling to you because it's not an either or situation and therefore isn't accurate. Your mind bogs are telling you something just may not be what you think.

Speak for yourself Florish. ;) Cause you know what? My kid doesn't believe in Leprechauns, and I also don't want her believing in the myth gun legislation makes us safer...

Retired teacher of hundreds of students, mother to three, grandmother to six, and now friend to children.

Children are not stupid. They know the score. They know that kids their age are getting killed in schools and anywhere. They know kids who are disturbed.

They live in a new world. One we do not know except as a tourist looking in.

What I don't understand is why people people believe that taking away the second admendment will cure our gun problem. It is not the legal gun owners doing the murders and reeking havoc on entire communities. Gun reform can be done without doing away with our 2nd admendment rights. The reform needed is ways of getting illegal guns and those that are illegally using them taken off the streets. Ones stealing legal guns need a far harsher sentence than someone stealing a tv from a home. Many, many ways to help get rid of our gun problem while at the same time allowing our 2nd admendment right to protect ourselves from the illegal guns.

No one is a criminal until they are. How about consequences for not locking your gun up so children and others can get it?

I think some of us believe it because we live and travel to places that do not have the crazy gun situation, We live it in real life

I respect and have compassion for all of the survivors from Parkland. That is not in question. David Hogg is putting himself out there and making some pretty controversial statements. Statements that deserve rebuttal. IMO he doesn't get to say whaever he wants and no one is allowed to question his statemets because he is a survivor. I cannot believe the audacity he has to talk about the police like he is when they were put in place to protect him and his fellow students after the shooting and students were bringing knives to school. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...ecome_a_prison_hundreds_of_racist_police.html

Is what he is saying not true?

One is in my link above post 411 when he calls the police protecting his school racist police and the other when he gave his speech stating that they are using thier white privilege being the reason they are being heard. Both IMO are baiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305