Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Official

SBM:

Update 3:25 p.m. EST Jan. 31: In charging documents obtained by KRQE, prosecutors said that Halls handed Baldwin the gun that killed Hutchins and that Gutierrez Reed was in charge of weapons on the set.

“On the day of the shooting alone, evidence shows that no less than a dozen acts, or omissions of recklessness, occurred in the short time prior to lunch and the time of the shooting, and this does not include the reckless handling of the firearm by Baldwin,” a probable cause statement obtained by the news station read.

Prosecutors added that Baldwin “by act or omission or failure to act in his position as a producer directly contributed and/or failed to mitigate numerous reckless and dangerous actions during a very short time period.”

RSBM:

"Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed will be issued a summons to appear in court. Prosecutors will forgo a grand jury and rely on a judge to determine if there is sufficient evidence to move toward trial. It could take up to 60 days for decision.

Involuntary manslaughter can involve a killing that happens while a defendant is doing something that is lawful but dangerous and is acting negligently or without caution."

RSBM:

"Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed will be issued a summons to appear in court. Prosecutors will forgo a grand jury and rely on a judge to determine if there is sufficient evidence to move toward trial. It could take up to 60 days for decision.

Involuntary manslaughter can involve a killing that happens while a defendant is doing something that is lawful but dangerous and is acting negligently or without caution."
What a terrible end of the career.
And such a burden of guilt to carry to the end of life.

May the senseless death of Halyna be a warning to film makers.
JMO

What a terrible end of the career.
And such a burden of guilt to carry to the end of life.

May the senseless death of Halyna be a warning to film makers.
JMO
HGR took her very young career for granted in my opinion and didn't seem to want to put in the work. I hope she finds a new path forward after this.

"Prosecutors say videos show him with his finger on trigger before he killed Halyna Hutchins."​

Among the papers filed on Tuesday is a 10-page probable cause affidavit which claims Baldwin gave 'inconsistent accounts' about how the shooting happened, at first telling police he 'fired' the gun, then insisting he did not pull the trigger.

The affidavit also claims there is surveillance footage of Baldwin on the day in question, in the immediate lead up to the accident, with his hand on the trigger.

They also say he did not undergo proper gun safety training, and that he was talking to his family on his cell phone when he was meant to have been learning how to handle the weapon.

Page of Affidavit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-173511.png
    Screenshot_20230131-173511.png
    742.4 KB · Views: 9
HGR took her very young career for granted in my opinion and didn't seem to want to put in the work. I hope she finds a new path forward after this.
As someone interested in the firearms side of this I find the case against her potentially more interesting than the one against AB. Mr Baldwin has not held back in saying specifically what he claims he did or/or didn't do but we've not heard from HG-R as to what she says happened or didn't happen (other than through her lawyer). I'm very interested to hear the specific facts of her involvement and what her actual level of culpability is or isn't.

Whatever her degree of guilt may be will be determined by the courts but, from what I can tell, she seemed to have been way out of her depth as regards her position as armourer. That doesn't absolve her of anything criminal, of course, but she is still just an employee. She has managers and producers above her who are supposed to to be making sure that the people they employ are competent and do their jobs in a safe and capable manner. She is essentially the senior firearms manager but if she's too inexperienced and not competent for that role then the people who are employing her carry a large part of the responsibility, IMO.

It will be very intriguing to discover the precise movements of that gun from HG-R to when it finally discharged the live round and what her role in that was, specifically. I'd also like to hear more about how they think that that live round got into the gun.

Among the papers filed on Tuesday is a 10-page probable cause affidavit which claims Baldwin gave 'inconsistent accounts' about how the shooting happened, at first telling police he 'fired' the gun, then insisting he did not pull the trigger.

The affidavit also claims there is surveillance footage of Baldwin on the day in question, in the immediate lead up to the accident, with his hand on the trigger.

They also say he did not undergo proper gun safety training, and that he was talking to his family on his cell phone when he was meant to have been learning how to handle the weapon.

Page of Affidavit
It amazes me that people don't just simply keep their mouths shut in cases like this. In every single crime movie ever made the guy who's arrested gives some long convoluted story to the cops before he asks for a lawyer; lawyer then says keep your mouth shut until I get there - this guy is a movie actor!! Does he not remember how that stuff never ends well for our arrested guy???

It amazes me that people don't just simply keep their mouths shut in cases like this. In every single crime movie ever made the guy who's arrested gives some long convoluted story to the cops before he asks for a lawyer; lawyer then says keep your mouth shut until I get there - this guy is a movie actor!! Does he not remember how that stuff never ends well for our arrested guy???

Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin’s decision to sit down with George Stephanopoulos following the fatal "Rust" set shooting was a massive mistake, according to Fox News contributor Leo Terrell.

"One of the biggest mistakes Alec Baldwin made was to go on George Stephanopoulos’ program and say he didn’t pull the trigger. That was a lie," Terrell told "The Faulkner Focus" on Thursday. "I guarantee you that’s going to come back to haunt him."

Terrell said Baldwin and the set armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed both had an "affirmative duty" to inspect the gun that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and is the reason their conduct has risen to a level beyond simple negligence. The two were charged with involuntary manslaughter on Thursday in the deadly incident.

Terrell also asserted that Gutierrez-Reed cannot escape her "sky-high" duty to collect and handle weapons on the movie and ensure the safety of cast and crew members. And that both Gutierrez-Reed and Baldwin had to be charged together and predicted a legal battle between the two defendants over who was ultimately responsible for Hutchins’ death.

Last edited:

"Prosecutors say videos show him with his finger on trigger before he killed Halyna Hutchins."​

No surprises there. Of course he pulled the trigger. Let's hope there are a couple of convictions in this case. :)

As someone interested in the firearms side of this I find the case against her potentially more interesting than the one against AB. Mr Baldwin has not held back in saying specifically what he claims he did or/or didn't do but we've not heard from HG-R as to what she says happened or didn't happen (other than through her lawyer). I'm very interested to hear the specific facts of her involvement and what her actual level of culpability is or isn't.

Whatever her degree of guilt may be will be determined by the courts but, from what I can tell, she seemed to have been way out of her depth as regards her position as armourer. That doesn't absolve her of anything criminal, of course, but she is still just an employee. She has managers and producers above her who are supposed to to be making sure that the people they employ are competent and do their jobs in a safe and capable manner. She is essentially the senior firearms manager but if she's too inexperienced and not competent for that role then the people who are employing her carry a large part of the responsibility, IMO.

It will be very intriguing to discover the precise movements of that gun from HG-R to when it finally discharged the live round and what her role in that was, specifically. I'd also like to hear more about how they think that that live round got into the gun.
You bring up some good points. I can add that the affidavit is clear that AB was manipulating the trigger and hammer while filming. I wonder if the video is good enough to show that the gun was cycled?

Her initial interview with police is hard to watch, but IMO supports you comments. Hard not to have empathy for all involved but it seems this awful loss of life was avoidable. JMO

Truly a tragedy. So frustrating, based on what's released so far, to think how easily it could have been avoided. My heart goes out out to her loved ones. So many 'if only's'. JMO
You are correct - this is the easiest thing in the world to avoid.

I watch a lot of the Aircrash Investigation documentaries and in them it's often made clear that these "accidents" never happen due to a single cause or human failing - it's always a chain of events or failures. Safety systems are usually designed so that more than one "never do this" event is required to occur before an actual injury accident can happen.

Where firearms are concerned you have to contravene at least two of the rules before anyone gets shot.
  • Always check that a firearm is unloaded when you pick it up or take it from someone
  • Never point a firearm at anything you are not prepared to destroy
  • Always be sure of your backstop
  • Keep your finger outside the trigger-guard until you are sure you comply with the previous rules
There are slightly different versions of that but that's essentially what the rules are. I have always been of the opinion that there should be another rule added. This is;
  • When you are in possession of a firearm YOU are responsible for everything that happens with it or to it. If YOU are not willing to accept this responsibility then DO NOT take possession of it!
That should apply in a professional situation as well as a recreational or personal sense such as possession for self defence. If that means that you can't use firearms in your job then, well, tough on you, quite honestly.

Also, in the case of a movie set where firearms are being handled; I made the point a while back that, IMO, they should be operated in the same way that a firing range is operated. There should be an official range conducting officer (who may or may not be the armourer - preferably not) who directs everyone in the vicinity and is in overall charge. The RCO signs for the set; firearms/ammo/dummies are unlocked or uncased; whatever filming activity is carried out under the direct control of the RCO; RCO signs the set back over to the director at such time that the firearms are locked away or have physically left the vicinity.

I would not be surprised if insurers started insisting on similar systems in future, to be honest.

All IMO, obvs.

On a further point about safety and personal responsibility perhaps the wording needs to be changed when guns are handled on movie sets, or anywhere for that matter. We are told that the term "cold gun" is used in the industry to inform the recipient (and others in the vicinity) that it has been checked as being not loaded with blanks or live ammunition.

Doing that places no responsibility on the part of the recipient - usually an actor. In fact, it allows them to abrogate their responsibility, IMO.

Maybe the call should put the onus on the person handing the gun? What about saying are you satisfied that this gun is SAFE to do the thing you are going to do with it? or are you SURE that this gun is "cold"? That requires a response on the part of the person taking possession of the firearm - they cannot remain passive.

Pilots make a "you have control" statement followed by an "I have control" response when handing over and accepting responsibility for their aircraft. Perhaps where firearms are concerned the appropriate call might be "you have responsibility" followed by the appropriate acknowledgement?

Just some random thoughts.

Last edited:
Yes, she was responsible for the safety of everyone on the set, WRT firearms. She reneged on her most basic responsibilities - keeping live ammo off the set and inspecting and controlling all firearms used at all times.

She wasn't ready for the job, JMO. I think she was hired because her father was a well respected armorer and they assumed she was well trained by him. Sadly, that wasn't the case. When she posed flashing guns in her silly glamour photos, it was apparent she didn't take guns seriously. JMO. I doubt anyone will ever trust her to be an armorer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288